Windows 10: File explorer slow when mapped network drives are disconnected

Discus and support File explorer slow when mapped network drives are disconnected in Windows 10 Ask Insider to solve the problem; Hi there, there are some mapped network drives on my windows 10 pc in order to access my home NAS and other shared folders via SMB when I'm connected... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Ask Insider' started by /u/SebaSera, Dec 23, 2020.

1. File explorer slow when mapped network drives are disconnected

Hi there, there are some mapped network drives on my windows 10 pc in order to access my home NAS and other shared folders via SMB when I'm connected to my home network.

The problem is that windows file explorer is terribly slow when I'm not connected to the home network (it freezes for even 30 seconds and it's quite annoying) because it seems that file explorer tries to fetch them until a timeout occur.

Is there a way to edit this timeout value (maybe a registry entry) or, alternatively, to tell file explorer to don't check for mapped network drives every time, without having to unmap them?

I'm using Windows 10 version 1909, but even with versions 2004 and 20H2 the same problem occurs.

Thanks in advance

submitted by /u/SebaSera
    [link] [comments]

:)

/u/SebaSera, Dec 23, 2020

2. Disconnected network drive showing in File Explorer

Recently a strange drive appeared in File Explorer. It is labeled (AFile explorer slow when mapped network drives are disconnected :) Disconnected Network Drive.

I have NEVER mapped a network drive on this computer. When I attempt to right click and disconnect I get a box saying "This network connection does not exist." If I just click on it I get a box saying it is not accessible. Access is denied. Properties
    simply says it is empty.

I cannot get rid of it. Trying to delete it under Drive Mapping in Explorer yields an error message saying it does not exist.

I went to safe mode with networking. It does NOT appear in File Explorer in Safe Mode. However it continues to appear in normal mode.

It is as if Windows just made something up to clutter my File Explorer.

BTW I already tried using admin command prompt to delete it. I get an error message saying that the drive does not exist.

Someone on a forum suggested trying to map a new drive on the same drive letter. Win 10 will not even display drive A as a choice in the dropdown.

How do I get rid of this?

DouglasLathrop, Dec 23, 2020
  3. Unable to disconnect from mapped network drive

I receive the following error when I try to disconnect from a self mapped network drive: "network connection does not exist"

The network drive icon appears with a bid red x and says it is disconnected, yet I can double click on it to enter the mapped folder. Doing this does not reconnect the folder, and remains disconnected. This causes problems because programs that pointed
    to this path are unable to read the files. I am unable to remap this drive because the associated drive letter (EFile explorer slow when mapped network drives are disconnected :) and mapping no longer shows up in the list.

I've tried all the typical suggestions including:

--I tried to do it via the command prompt with the net use delete command, but it can't be found in there.

--Tried to above with the actual network path instead of the drive letter, did not work

--Tried to delete the registry entries from:

HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer\MountPoints2

HKEY_USERS\. Default\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer\Mountpoint2\

None of these solutions worked. Though deleting the registry entries momentarily hid the disconnected drive, the drive letter was still not available for mapping. I tried to force the drive letter (EFile explorer slow when mapped network drives are disconnected :) to map to my optical drive, which worryingly, pointed
    back to the mapped network location on the NAS instead of to the optical drive.

How do I get rid of this? Reformatting the computer is not an option.

RMI_Howard, Dec 23, 2020
  4. fatpat Win User

File explorer slow when mapped network drives are disconnected

Mapped Drives Issues

To clarify .... the issue is the Windows 10 OS. It is with Windows File Explorer. The Mapped drives used to appear in File Explorer's left panel list of drives and folders. Two days ago File explorer stopped show the mapped drives. so not they don;t appear in the list of Drives and folders.

- - - Updated - - -

I did, it has no effect. I also check the NAS devices they support SMB 2.0. Also I have several other computers on my home network they work fine with the mapped drives and They do not have SMB 1 turned on. So it is something that happened to the computer in question.

fatpat, Dec 23, 2020
Thema:

File explorer slow when mapped network drives are disconnected

1. File explorer slow when mapped network drives are disconnected - Similar Threads - File explorer slow

2. Map Network Drive option missing in File Explorer

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Map Network Drive option missing in File Explorer: I can't get map network drive to show up in file explorer. I'm on This PC and select the three dots, but there is no option to map a network drive. Any ideas as google doesn't help. I'm running this:Edition Windows 11 ProVersion 22H2Installed on ‎5/‎17/‎2022OS build...
  3. Map Network Drive option missing in File Explorer

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Map Network Drive option missing in File Explorer: I can't get map network drive to show up in file explorer. I'm on This PC and select the three dots, but there is no option to map a network drive. Any ideas as google doesn't help. I'm running this:Edition Windows 11 ProVersion 22H2Installed on ‎5/‎17/‎2022OS build...
  4. Mapping Network Drive in File Explorer.

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Mapping Network Drive in File Explorer.: Why do I not see the option for Mapping Network Drive under more options and under This PC. https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/mapping-network-drive-in-file-explorer/f3a47487-dea4-4284-9ed0-f97bad2de702
  5. Mapping Network Drive in File Explorer.

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Mapping Network Drive in File Explorer.: Why do I not see the option for Mapping Network Drive under more options and under This PC. https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/mapping-network-drive-in-file-explorer/f3a47487-dea4-4284-9ed0-f97bad2de702
  6. Mapped Network Drive Disconnects and Will Not Reconnect

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Mapped Network Drive Disconnects and Will Not Reconnect: OS:Windows 10 V20H2 PC: Dell XPS8940 Router: Netgear R7000 w/ TomatoUSB Nine of ten mapped network drives on my desktop PC behave normally! The tenth is a problem. It is mapped to the USB drive connected to my router.Sometimes (days) I cannot connect to this mapped drive and...
  7. Windows 10 File explorer slow when mapped network drives aren't available

Windows 10 File explorer slow when mapped network drives aren't available: Hi there, I have mapped some network drives on my windows 10 pc in order to access my home NAS and other shared folders via SMB located on different networks for example office network. The problem is that windows file explorer is terribly slow when one or more of these...
  8. Windows Explorer is too slow when having mapped network drive

Windows Explorer is too slow when having mapped network drive: Hello, I got an issue with my Windows Explorer. I have NAS which is working on demand, not 24/7. It's mapped as network drive in my Win10 machines. Mapping way was the standard one - right-click on This PC -> Map Network Drive. When NAS is up and running - no issues....
  9. File explorer slow/hangs when mapped drive not available

File explorer slow/hangs when mapped drive not available: Hi all, I have mapped network drives that are only available when my laptop is connected to certain networks work, home, etc. When I open file explorer when I have mapped drives not in my current network, it's very slow to open the "This PC" view, and the progress bar just...
  10. Mapped Network Drive Not Showing in File Explorer

Mapped Network Drive Not Showing in File Explorer: Why aren't Mapped Network Drive Not Showing in File Explorer and how to fix? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/mapped-network-drive-not-showing-in-file-explorer/d3932ee6-2c7d-4ff5-90b6-ff7c596ddc2f

Users found this page by searching for:

1. mapped network drive slows file explorer