Windows 10: File explorer slow when opening - Waiting for external HDD to start.

Discus and support File explorer slow when opening - Waiting for external HDD to start. in Windows 10 Ask Insider to solve the problem; Hello guys, Pretty simple question(i hope) whenever I open file explorer it takes ages as I have to wait for my external hard drive to start up.... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Ask Insider' started by /u/Shanks255, Nov 21, 2020.

1. File explorer slow when opening - Waiting for external HDD to start.

Hello guys,

Pretty simple question(i hope) whenever I open file explorer it takes ages as I have to wait for my external hard drive to start up. Rarely I ever use the external hard drive so is there a way to only make it turn on if I specifically click on it in windows explorer? or to keep it on all the time if the firs option is not possible.

The HDD in question is a

WD 12 TB Elements Desktop External Hard Drive.

Thanks in advance.
    P.s I hope this is the correct subreddit.

submitted by /u/Shanks255
    [link] [comments]

:)

/u/Shanks255, Nov 21, 2020
  2. Zero Ice Win User

Windows Explorer crashes whenever I open my external HDD or thumb drive in explorer..

Windows Explorer crashes whenever I open my external HDD or thumb drive in explorer..

So, I open up My Computer, open my F Drive and boom: "Windows Explorer has encountered a problem and must close". It is really annoying! I am fine everywhere else in explorer, but something just screws up when I try the external HDD (USB) or my thumb drive.

Can anyone help?

Zero Ice, Nov 21, 2020
  3. Windows Explorer has try to restart whenever I open my external HDD or thumb drive in

Windows Explorer has try to restart whenever I open my external HDD or thumb drive in explorer

landaksparky, Nov 21, 2020
  4. File explorer slow when opening - Waiting for external HDD to start.

File Explorer Slow To Open HDD

Your PC might slow down if your hard disk is almost full and you don’t have a lot of free space. In this case, freeing up disk space can help make your PC run better.

To check for low disk space, follow these steps:

• Select the Start button > Settings >
      System > Storage .
    • Under Storage, select your hard disk, and then see what’s taking up space.
    • If you’re running low on disk space, free up your disk space by deleting temporary files and downloads, and empty the recycle bin.

To remove temporary files and downloads, and empty the recycle bin, follow these steps:

• Select the Start button > Settings >
      System > Storage .
    • Under Storage, select This PC, which has a drive letter for your hard disk next to it.
    • Under Storage usage, select Temporary files.
    • On the Temporary files screen, select the Temporary files check box >
      Remove files.
    • On the taskbar, select File Explorer,
      then select the Downloads folder under This PC.
      The Downloads folder is the default file location for most web browsers.
    • See which files are in the Downloads folder, and move the downloads you want to keep to another drive.
    • Go back to the Temporary files screen in Settings, select the
      Downloads folder check box > Remove files.
    • Go to your desktop, and then open Recycle Bin.
    • Move any files you want to keep, and then select Empty Recycle Bin.
    • Restart your PC, and then see if it’s running better.

If the issues persists, use the Check Disk tool (chkdsk). Chkdsk’s basic function is to scan the integrity of the file system and file system metadata on a disk volume and fix any logical file system errors that it finds. To run the Check Disk tool, follow
    these steps:

• Press Windows key + X and select Command Prompt (Admin).
    • Type C: and then press Enter.
    • Type chkdsk /r and then press Enter to scan for issues on the hard disk.
    • Restart your PC, and then see if it’s running better.

Note: If the drive has files that are in use, you’ll be asked to schedule a scan for the next restart.

Keep us updated on the results.

Aileen Alf, Nov 21, 2020
Thema:

File explorer slow when opening - Waiting for external HDD to start.

1. File explorer slow when opening - Waiting for external HDD to start. - Similar Threads - File explorer slow

2. FIle explorer slow when opening files

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    FIle explorer slow when opening files: Hello everyone. Just recently out of the blue I have a file explorer issue. The file explorer works fine apart from when I want to attach a file on some website for example or just open a file in photoshop or opening files generally. I have noticed 3 iterations of this issue...
  3. FIle explorer slow when opening files

in Windows 10 Gaming
    FIle explorer slow when opening files: Hello everyone. Just recently out of the blue I have a file explorer issue. The file explorer works fine apart from when I want to attach a file on some website for example or just open a file in photoshop or opening files generally. I have noticed 3 iterations of this issue...
  4. FIle explorer slow when opening files

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
  5. File Explorer will not show External HDD

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    File Explorer will not show External HDD: I have the latest updated windows 10 and I'm trying to access an External HDD that I was able to format for reuse. However, it will not show in file explorer. I've experimented and found that it does show in Disk Management and Device Manager, but I'm unable to access in...
  6. File explorer stalls when opening due to external USB HDD

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    File explorer stalls when opening due to external USB HDD: I have a couple of external USB HDD's connected to my PC. One in particular, a WD MyBook, seems to cause Windows File Explorer to hang temporarily when opened, even if I'm not accessing the USB drive. WIN+E opens WFE to My Computer, but it hangs until the USB drive spins up....
  7. File Explorer Not Responding when inserting External HDD.

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    File Explorer Not Responding when inserting External HDD.: I'm having a hard time when inserting an external drive, the Explorer suddenly not responding. Thank you. https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/file-explorer-not-responding-when-inserting/bbcbbaa3-6c79-4c4e-ac77-9a28a19273ce
  8. File explorer opening a very long time, because of external HDD

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    File explorer opening a very long time, because of external HDD: [ATTACH] I have external USB HDD (WD My Book 8TB) which acts as an archive of my raw footage (I'm videographer). Very often, when I open file explorer, it takes like 10-15 secs to start, because this external HDD (when I don't use this drive for 10 mins, it turns off). I...
  9. File explorer and WD external HDD

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    File explorer and WD external HDD: File explorer is struggling with my 2 external WD My Book 3TB HDD Problems: 1 of the drives will keep running randomly all night (and gets real hot) after PC shut down. When trying to write a batch to one of the drives explorer keeps trying to access the drive, cannot...
  10. File Explorer slow to open or will not open

in Windows 10 Support
    File Explorer slow to open or will not open: Quite often (60% of the time) clicking on Windows Explorer results in no action whether from the tool bar or from the Windows screen for a very long period of time. There is nothing showing to determine if there is a background program causing Explorer to wait. When it...

Users found this page by searching for:

1. why does windows spin up an external drive before opening file explorer