Windows 10: File explorer slow with loading thumnails and files

Discus and support File explorer slow with loading thumnails and files in Windows 10 Support to solve the problem; I installed Windows 10 last week as an upgrade from Windows 7, and the internet part is working good. But something with the file explorer didn't work.... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Support' started by Roger2362, Aug 2, 2015.

1. Roger2362 Win User

File explorer slow with loading thumnails and files

I installed Windows 10 last week as an upgrade from Windows 7, and the internet part is working good. But something with the file explorer didn't work. The Document, Pictures, Music, and Video files are still there, but the thumbnails load slowly, or not at all. If it means anything, there's a green bar that slowly moves across the top of the screen.

Help!

:)

Roger2362, Aug 2, 2015

2. Windows 10 preview pane does not show image previews

Found it.

While in File Explorer go to FILE then OPTIONS.

Then go to the View tab.

Then look for Always show icons, never thumnails under Files and Folders. And uncheck it if checked.

MatthewS72, Aug 2, 2015
  3. Windows 10 File Explorer Preview Thumnails

Windows 10 has changed the way the thumbnail previews in file folders look when the thumbnail previews option is enabled. In this version of Windows, the thumbnail images have been magnified compared to how they were in previous versions. So, the hundreds
    of images that I set up to display as a thumbnail in a folder are now cropped on all sides. I spent hundreds of hours adding various small icons to the edges of the images that I set up to use as folder previews, and now those icons are not visible in the
    thumbnails.

So here's my question: Is there a way that I can change the way Windows 10 displays the preview thumbnails back to the way it has been for at least the last 3 versions of windows?

I've tried Classic Shell, but that does not change the format. I've also tried several aftermarket file explorer type programs, and apps, but they just default to the same new "zoomed in" format. I tried making the images smaller, but no matter how small
    I make them, file explorer still zooms in and crops off the edges of the image when displaying them in the folder icon.

Rendersapien, Aug 2, 2015
  4. Roger2362 Win User

Something in the recent update fixed it.

Roger2362, Aug 8, 2015
  5. ilangom Win User
    Step by step guide:
    1. Hold Win+r to open run
    2. Type msconfig and hit ok or enter
    3. Click Services
    4. Navigate to Windows search (you can sort the list in descending alphabetical order)
    5. Uncheck tickbox
    6. Click apply then ok
    7. Select to restart now

Hope this works for you.

ilangom, Apr 4, 2018
Thema:

1. File explorer slow with loading thumnails and files - Similar Threads - File explorer slow

2. Files explorer extremely slow to load..

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Files explorer extremely slow to load..: The files explorer in my brand new Windows Surface laptop is extremely slow to load. Each time I click on the files explorer icon in the task bar at the bottom, it takes several seconds and on occasions up to a minute to load. This is not a folder-specific problem as this...
  3. Files explorer extremely slow to load..

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Files explorer extremely slow to load..: The files explorer in my brand new Windows Surface laptop is extremely slow to load. Each time I click on the files explorer icon in the task bar at the bottom, it takes several seconds and on occasions up to a minute to load. This is not a folder-specific problem as this...
  4. File Explorer loading slow

in Windows 10 Gaming
    File Explorer loading slow: I am using i5 12th gen laptop. From few days my laptop file explorer is loading slowly showing green color bar. 270 GB free space available in my C drive and 100GB free space available in my D drive. I don't know what happened. Please help me to solve this....
  5. File Explorer loading slow

File Explorer loading slow: I am using i5 12th gen laptop. From few days my laptop file explorer is loading slowly showing green color bar. 270 GB free space available in my C drive and 100GB free space available in my D drive. I don't know what happened. Please help me to solve this....
  6. file explorer loading slow

file explorer loading slow: whenever i wanna open up a file on my pc the file takes a long time to open I've checked for viruses and memory leaks i cant figure out what is cause it https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/file-explorer-loading-slow/82a7795c-5021-494a-8798-c24ac7d4c4a4
  7. file explorer loading slow

in Windows 10 Gaming
    file explorer loading slow: whenever i wanna open up a file on my pc the file takes a long time to open I've checked for viruses and memory leaks i cant figure out what is cause it https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/file-explorer-loading-slow/82a7795c-5021-494a-8798-c24ac7d4c4a4
  8. Fix for file explorer loading slow

Fix for file explorer loading slow: I found a new way, Just simply press Windows key+R and type in exactly this without the dot: %appdata%. Boom, it's open, then just go to any folder you want to :...
  9. File Explorer, very slow to load .exe files

File Explorer, very slow to load .exe files: Hi All, When I double click on an .exe file to install a program, in Windows File Explorer, it takes over a minute to start the installation process. When I use Total Commander to do the same thing, it installs straight away. I've also tried it after disabling my Norton AV...
  10. File Explorer Will Not Load / Extremely Slow

in Windows 10 Support
    File Explorer Will Not Load / Extremely Slow: I've been having this problem recently, I honestly dont know what it is. My computer runs smoothly, up until I open up file explorer and it basically doesn't load. It's been sitting there for at least 40 minutes. If anyone can shed some light, I would greatly appreciate it....

Users found this page by searching for:

1. Slow thumbnail loading in explorer