Windows 10: File Explorer sluggish opening from apps

Discus and support File Explorer sluggish opening from apps in Windows 10 Support to solve the problem; Win10 v21H1 build 19043.1165. File Explorer works fine in all situations except when opened from an app to select a file or files, or a location and... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Support' started by JonF, Aug 22, 2021.

1. JonF Win User

File Explorer sluggish opening from apps

Win10 v21H1 build 19043.1165. File Explorer works fine in all situations except when opened from an app to select a file or files, or a location and name to save. 15-20 seconds for it to start up. Drives me crazy. The smaller window for selecting a directory works fine starting from an app. I've run sfc/scannow, upgraded to 21H1, and run Bleeping Computer's Windows Repair AIO with no effect.

:)

2. mngerhold Win User

Can I customize the list of suggest apps in the "Open with" menu?

Well, I hope this helps the OP - it took a while. I tried 'Default Program Editor' (DPE) and it did indeed add (or remove) items, but when I tried to specifically add Word to pdf opening, it failed - it went through the motions, but nothing happened. So I started again, playing with settings for opening .doc files. This seemed to work: initially in explorer I had 3 programs appear in the 'default' list that pops up on a rt-click>open-with:

File Explorer sluggish opening from apps [​IMG]

and this is what the relevant bit of the Registry showed:

Don't ask me why just 3 of those 8 (a to h) programs show up (maybe the 'instant' list is limited to three? - no, see later) - anyway, I used DPE to remove Wordpad from the list: when saving the edit as a REG file, this is what I got:

Code:
    and the result in Explorer was:

and the registry now shows:

Note how item 'g' from the list has been removed (it seems there is no issue with having a letter missing). I then messed about trying to open a .doc file with various other programs, and they all started to appear in the 'instant' list:

So I thought 'well, that is easy - just open a pdf once in Word and it should appear'. So back to trying to open PDFs: but however many times I tried, Word would never appear.

even though there were any number of entries in the Registry 'Open With' list, including Word:

So what did DPE make of this - well, it showed some of the entries:

Although Word is shown, it doesn't appear on a rt-click. Its entry can be removed, but that doesn't help. So my attention was drawn to the existence of another folder below 'OpenWithList', namely 'OpenWithProgids', and that contained a specific ref to Sumatra (my preferred program for PDFs). Looking back at the same entry for .docx, I found this:

so I added an identical Word.Document.12 ref to the list for PDFs:

I think IrfanView is there as it got added during my experiments! I now get this in Explorer:

Hurrah! I then tried to use DPE to remove the redundant entries, and got this as a .REG file:
    Code:
    But when i merge that with the registry, the IrfanView item does not get deleted:

and as seen in the registry:

so I deleted it by hand, and at last have the entries I (or rather, the OP) want:

Note that my manually added reg entry is of type Binary', as there seems to be no way to add a value of type 'None'.

So it seems that DPE cannot cope with entries in the 'Progids' list, and something makes some programs fall into that list, rather than the 'openwithlist'. I am sorry for any typos above, or pictures in the wrong place - can't be bothered to check it too thoroughly. Hope it helps someone!

atb, Martin

mngerhold, Aug 22, 2021
  3. .jar files opening in internet explorer

Hi Robert,

Welcome to Microsoft Community.

I understand that .jar files opens in Internet Explorer by default and downloads again on Windows 10. I will certainly help you.

I suggest you to follow the below steps and check if it resolves the issue.

1. Right click on the .jar file, select Open with
    and click on Choose another app.

2. Select the app you want to open the .jar file from list.

3. If required, highlight the app and check the option
    Always use this app to open, click OK.

Hope this helps. If the issue remains unresolved, please get back to us and we would be happy to help.

Vinodh_Kumar V, Aug 22, 2021
  4. Brink Win User

Mail app will not open on 10041.

Hello Adam,

This is the suggested solution below if you haven't already tried it. File Explorer sluggish opening from apps :)

In this Windows 10 build 10041, the Mail, Calendar, and People apps may be broken due to a licensing issue with the Store Beta. To get these apps working again, you need to follow these steps:

• Open powershell as administrator
    • Run the command Get-appxprovisionedpackage –online | where-object {$_.packagename –like “*windowscommunicationsapps*”} | remove-appxprovisionedpackage –online
    • Re-install Mail, People and Calendar from the Store (green tile)

Brink, Aug 22, 2021
Thema:

1. File Explorer sluggish opening from apps - Similar Threads - File Explorer sluggish

2. Windows File Explorer very sluggish and weird issue

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Windows File Explorer very sluggish and weird issue: Since today i have an issue with the file explorer.Whenever i click something be it folder or any files its even worse with folder and even happens on empty folders for 2-3 seconds theres a constant swapping of loading circle to my mouse cursor until the file is officially...
  3. Windows File Explorer very sluggish and weird issue

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Windows File Explorer very sluggish and weird issue: Since today i have an issue with the file explorer.Whenever i click something be it folder or any files its even worse with folder and even happens on empty folders for 2-3 seconds theres a constant swapping of loading circle to my mouse cursor until the file is officially...
  4. Windows File Explorer very sluggish and weird issue

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
  5. Have OneDrive app open from shortcut without opening File Explorer

Have OneDrive app open from shortcut without opening File Explorer: So... I have 3 OneDrive accounts linked to this computer:OneDrive - PersonalOneDrive - Department of Education and TrainingOneDrive - ridgewaywebI have set OneDrive to not open on startup, same as every app on Windows. However, when I need OneDrive, I will open it from my...
  6. File Explorer really sluggish and weird

File Explorer really sluggish and weird: About 4-5 months ago I started to notice after an update that file explorer started to act really weird it got sluggish and folders would not show the little preview thumbnails and file would just come up as white squares with no thumbnail or associated programs icon and the...
  7. Windows Explorer Sluggish?

Windows Explorer Sluggish?: I have this issue that's an everyday thing where sometimes when I right click my taskbar icons and no options except "file explorer" and "unpin from taskbar" pop up even though I have history and quick access pins I use daily. Sometimes it's just missing the menu extra...
  8. No app is opening, only file explorer is open

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    No app is opening, only file explorer is open: Today when I opened Avast antivirus, it showed me that almost 113 registry keys are broken, so I pressed the button to fix them. Windows was working fine before I pressed the button. Then Avast opened a blank white screen, I thought I must close it as it has got hanged and...
  9. Sluggish Explorer when opening zip "compressed folders"

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Sluggish Explorer when opening zip "compressed folders": I'm having this persisting issue where Explorer becomes very slow when I open a zip file with it. It's been going on for some time now. Memory usage of the Explorer process stays normal, and CPU doesn't spike. Still it has even gotten so bad that Explorer crashed altogether....
  10. Can't open multiple files from Explorer in non-default apps

Can't open multiple files from Explorer in non-default apps: I've associated local files with the extension .html to open from Explorer in Firefox, but as I also edit those files, I use the pull down menu in the Quick Access Bar to select alternate apps to open those files with. This works well when trying to open a single file:...