Windows 10: File Explorer - Some PDF's show thumbnail image, some don’t

Discus and support File Explorer - Some PDF's show thumbnail image, some don’t in Windows 10 Support to solve the problem; In Windows 10 File Explorer, I see thumbnails for a few of my pdf files but still see the generic Adobe pdf icon for most of them. In Windows 10... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Support' started by banditrvp, Mar 10, 2020.

1. banditrvp Win User

File Explorer - Some PDF's show thumbnail image, some don’t

In Windows 10 File Explorer, I see thumbnails for a few of my pdf files but still see the generic Adobe pdf icon for most of them.

• In Windows 10 folder options, the checkbox for “Always show icons, never thumbnails” is unchecked.
    • On the Adobe Reader preferences general tab, “Enable PDF thumbnails previews in Windows Explorer” is checked.
    • Adobe Acrobat is set as my default PDF viewer.
    • I have used Disk Cleanup to delete all my thumbnails to clear and rebuild the cache, yet the problem persists.
    Any suggestions on how I can see all the pdf icons as thumbnails?
    Windows 10 Pro, Version 1903, Build 18362.657
    Adobe Acrobat Reader DC (20.006.20034)

I asked over in the Adobe Acrobat Reader forum a few days ago but have received no replies.

File Explorer - Some PDF's show thumbnail image, some don’t [​IMG]

Ron

:)

banditrvp, Mar 10, 2020
  2. ste0 Win User

PDF thumbnails not showing in Windows 10 file explorer

In Acrobat Reader DC, go to Preferences > General and then select Enable PDF thumbnail previews in Windows Explorer.

This should show thumbnails in File Explorer. For some reason, my selection got turned off (not by me). Check your settings again. I have done this same step for numerous computers now, and so far they all work.

The first time you do this, Adobe Reader DC actually has a pop-up saying something like installing a add-on or extension. If you don't see this, then I suggest a reinstall of the latest DC.

3. Jawz_707 Win User
    PDF thumbnails not showing in Windows 10 file explorer

Steps:

1.On the Edit menu, choose Preferences

2.In the Preferences dialog box, choose General in the Categories list, and then select the
    Enable PDF thumbnail previews in Windows Explorer check box.

3.Click OK.

4.Wait for a few seconds while Acrobat DC is configured to show thumbnail previews in Windows Explorer.

5.Note: In Acrobat Reader DC, you see a prompt asking for the feature to be added to the current installation. Click
    Yes to confirm.

Now it works for me using Adobe DC.

Jawz_707, Mar 10, 2020
  4. File Explorer - Some PDF's show thumbnail image, some don’t

Preview and thumbnails of pdf files are not available

Hi Michelle, my name is Martin and I'm an Independent Advisor. I'll try to help you here.

Preview and Thumbnails of PDF files can be disabled on your PC . . .

I suggest that you follow steps below to enable this feature

Start Adobe Reader

Tap on Edit in the menu bar and select Preferences

Under Categories highlight General

Put the checkmark next to the box Enable PDF thumbnail previews in Windows Explorer

I also recommend the article - Enable thumbnail of PDFs in Windows Explorer to get further information

https://helpx.adobe.com/acrobat/using/enable-pd...

Martin Jenkinss, Mar 10, 2020
Thema:

File Explorer - Some PDF's show thumbnail image, some don’t

1. File Explorer - Some PDF's show thumbnail image, some don’t - Similar Threads - File Explorer PDF's

2. Some image files are not showing thumbnails after USB file transfer

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Some image files are not showing thumbnails after USB file transfer: Hello!Yesterday I was using a newly-bought USB stick. I didn't have enough space on OneDrive to automatically transfer files to a new PC and since I have a lot of files I need to transfer I decided to simply put all the files most of which are image jpg and PNG, however there...
  3. Windows 11 Thumbnails not showing on some images

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Windows 11 Thumbnails not showing on some images: New laptop running Windows 11 with Dropbox and Carbonite only displays some image thumbnails. We scanned for malware, ran sfc /scannow, reset folder defaults, deleted thumbnail cache, and rebooted. There are no missing Windows updates. Opening the photo to view it and then...
  4. Windows 11 Thumbnails not showing on some images

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Windows 11 Thumbnails not showing on some images: New laptop running Windows 11 with Dropbox and Carbonite only displays some image thumbnails. We scanned for malware, ran sfc /scannow, reset folder defaults, deleted thumbnail cache, and rebooted. There are no missing Windows updates. Opening the photo to view it and then...
  5. Some images and video won't show thumbnail in windows explorer

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Some images and video won't show thumbnail in windows explorer: Some of my images and videos , wont show an image. Some show thumbnails and others show the image. I have gone into VIEW > Options and unchecked show thumbnails as many sites ask but it doesnt resolve the issue. See the screen shot below [ATTACH]...
  6. some Thumbnail Previews not showing in Windows File Explorer,some do.

in Windows 10 Support
    some Thumbnail Previews not showing in Windows File Explorer,some do.: Hello,as in the title: In one specific folder some thumbnail previews show up,some do not. They have the same extension. -Cleared the icon db. -changed folder options Windows 10. 154872
  7. some Thumbnail Previews not showing in Windows File Explorer,some do.

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    some Thumbnail Previews not showing in Windows File Explorer,some do.: Hello,as in the title: In one specific folder some thumbnail previews show up,some do not. They have the same extension. -Cleared the icon db. -changed folder options Windows 10. 154872
  8. Some File Explorer thumbnails don't show

in Windows 10 Customization
    Some File Explorer thumbnails don't show: Just a couple of days ago I updated Windows 10 to v1909 from v1809. However, since the update, some MP4 video files don't show their thumbnails in File Explorer like in the previous version. I have no problem with videos that have a thumbnail embedded in the file. But some...
  9. Image files are not always showing thumbnails. Some are but most aren'

in Windows 10 Support
    Image files are not always showing thumbnails. Some are but most aren': I have a problem with the preview display on image files where some will show an image preview and others will show an icon. This error does not happen systematically. When I open a folder with images in it some preview the image while others don’t. When I next reopen the...
  10. PDF files_ Some show thumbnail image, some don't?

in Windows 10 Support
    PDF files_ Some show thumbnail image, some don't?: I am having this problem with PDF files. Some of them show the 1st page of the file(mostly books front cover) as thumbnail image on the desktop, and, inside folders, but, some don't show the thumbnail image of the first page in the file. These files that don't show the...

Users found this page by searching for:

1. show thumbnails for pdf windows 10