Windows 10: File Explorer Sometimes Freezes, Crashes, Even After System Reset

Discus and support File Explorer Sometimes Freezes, Crashes, Even After System Reset in Windows 10 Network and Sharing to solve the problem; Hello, 9 out of 10 times I open my file explorer, it won't display some or most of my files. Many times I see no folders at all, but when I do, and... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Network and Sharing' started by EliotLee1, Feb 5, 2021.

1. EliotLee1 Win User

File Explorer Sometimes Freezes, Crashes, Even After System Reset

Hello,

9 out of 10 times I open my file explorer, it won't display some or most of my files. Many times I see no folders at all, but when I do, and try to click around, the explorer crashes and quits often without a "not responding" prompt. The explorer also crashes if I try to right click or create a folder from within it the same goes for my desktop. This happens whether I open the explorer directly from the .exe, if try to start it from a different folder, or if I try to use an explorer window within a different program.

The weird thing about this issue is that it occurs on and off. Sometimes I'll be able to create one or two folders before the issue sets in. However, the issue occurs even after restarting the file explorer. I've tried many solutions, including changing file explorer setting, playing around with regedit, and removing all programs from the context menu; all to no avail. Yesterday, I reset my PC and everything seemed to be working fine. However, the next day, the problem was back and as irritating as ever.

How can I resolve this?

Thank you,

:)

EliotLee1, Feb 5, 2021

2. Internet Explorer is slow, crashing, freezing

Hi Albert,

Thank you for contacting Microsoft Community.

Method 1: I would suggest you to run the Internet Explorer performance troubleshooter which would tell us the reason behind the issue and check.

Follow these steps to run Internet Explorer Performance troubleshooter.

• Click on search and type troubleshooting.
    • Select Troubleshooting.
    • Select View all on the top left corner.
    • Run Internet Explorer Performance troubleshooter.

Method 2: Follow the steps suggested in this link and check if it helps.

What to do when Internet Explorer isn't working

http://windows.microsoft.com/en-in/internet-explorer/ie-crashes-stops-working#ie=ie-11

Reset Internet Explorer disclaimer: The Reset Internet Explorer Settings feature might reset security settings or privacy settings that you added to the list of Trusted Sites. The Reset Internet Explorer Settings feature
    might also reset parental control settings. We recommend that you note these sites before you use the Reset Internet Explorer Settings feature.

Method 3: I would suggest you to run
    System Maintenance Troubleshooter
    and check if it helps:

• Press Windows + X key. 
    • Select Control panel.
    • In the search box, type Troubleshooter and then click
      Troubleshooting.
    • Under System and Security,
    • Click on System Maintenance and Click on Next button.

Hope this information is helpful and do let us know if you need further assistance. We will be glad to assist.

Karthicka_R, Feb 5, 2021
  3. peach1971 Win User
    all games crash!

I suggest you run rthdribl > http://www.daionet.gr.jp/~masa/archives/rthdribl_1_2.zip
    Increase the window size step by step and watch your vga temps permanently.
    What happens?
    If it crashes, run at stock speeds as suggested before and retry.

P.S.: When your system locks, does the display signal turn off after a time?
    Stuttering sound or no sound at all when freezing?
    What X1800XT model do you own exactly?

peach1971, Feb 5, 2021
  4. File Explorer Sometimes Freezes, Crashes, Even After System Reset

File Explorer crashes.

Hi John,

The crash issue that you are experiencing with File Explorer can occur due to several reasons, such as, corrupted system files, missing system files, etc. To better assist you, kindly answer the following questions:

• When did the issue start? Have you made any significant changes to your computer before the issue started?
    • Are you getting any error messages?
    • Have you taken any troubleshooting steps yet? If yes, what are the troubleshooting steps that you've taken so far? This is for us to avoid providing the same steps.

We look forward to your response.

Joshua Her1, Feb 5, 2021
Thema:

File Explorer Sometimes Freezes, Crashes, Even After System Reset

1. File Explorer Sometimes Freezes, Crashes, Even After System Reset - Similar Threads - File Explorer Sometimes

2. File Explorer crashes and freezes

in Windows 10 Gaming
    File Explorer crashes and freezes: For some reason, I clicked on the gallery icon at the top under the home icon, and then it asked me for something that I don't know what it was, but it needed administrator access. After that, I can't open any files at all. The files on the desktop are opening, even the...
  3. File Explorer crashes and freezes

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    File Explorer crashes and freezes: For some reason, I clicked on the gallery icon at the top under the home icon, and then it asked me for something that I don't know what it was, but it needed administrator access. After that, I can't open any files at all. The files on the desktop are opening, even the...
  4. BSoD even after system reset

in Windows 10 Gaming
    BSoD even after system reset: Hi,I've had my Lenovo Laptop with Windows 11 for a little of a year now. Recently it will crash periodically every couple hours with either "bad pool caller" and "kernel mode heap corruption. I though an entire system reboot would solve the problem but it did not. I have also...
  5. BSoD even after system reset

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    BSoD even after system reset: Hi,I've had my Lenovo Laptop with Windows 11 for a little of a year now. Recently it will crash periodically every couple hours with either "bad pool caller" and "kernel mode heap corruption. I though an entire system reboot would solve the problem but it did not. I have also...
  6. File Explorer sometimes freezes after sleeping the computer?

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    File Explorer sometimes freezes after sleeping the computer?: EDIT: Screenshot which evidently failed to attach This happens sometimes online on Win10 on a Lenovo Flex 5 14. I have two other systems that don't seem to exhibit this behavior in File Explorer. I have these explorer tabs open frequently, but sometimes after the computer...
  7. File Explorer Freezes Sometimes

in Windows 10 Support
    File Explorer Freezes Sometimes: Hello,Yesterday (24-Jan-2020) installed update KB4534321.Today I noticed that sometimes windows file explorer freezes.Tried to close its window in the taskbar, once it worked, reopened, it was frozen. Rebooted computer, now it works.Does this update causing the trouble or...
  8. File explorer freezing and crashing

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    File explorer freezing and crashing: My file explorer freezes whenever I try to click on a Microsoft Office file (powerpoint presentations, excel spreadsheets, word docs etc). It eventually crashes and restarts but I can never open office files from file explorer. In order to open files I have to use the open...
  9. Sometimes File Explorer Freezes When Renaming A Folder

in Windows 10 Support
    Sometimes File Explorer Freezes When Renaming A Folder: Hello, I noticed on very rare occasions (only on one hard drive) that when I create a new folder, give it a name and press enter, File Explorer freezes for about 30-40 seconds until it creates that name for the folder. I've tried to rename that same exact folder right after...
  10. freeze after system reset

in Windows 10 Support
    freeze after system reset: I was having major issues on my HP DV7 laptop with win 10 so tried resetting to win 7 and now for 5+ hours has been stuck on "resetting this PC 99%". can I power it off and restart or should I just let it keep going? there was nothing worth saving so not worried about losing...