Windows 10: File explorer sort all folders/directories the same

Discus and support File explorer sort all folders/directories the same in Windows 10 Network and Sharing to solve the problem; All i want to do is to sort all directories across windows 10 the same as a directory I have already sorted the way I want all of them to look like.... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Network and Sharing' started by rebeth, Mar 26, 2019.

1. rebeth Win User

File explorer sort all folders/directories the same

All i want to do is to sort all directories across windows 10 the same as a directory I have already sorted the way I want all of them to look like. In other words i have manually sorted a directory the way i want all of them across my computer to look like. Seems like I've seen this explained somewhere before but I cannot find it. Any help?

:)

rebeth, Mar 26, 2019
  2. cereberus Win User

Sorting with File Explorer.

I tried the method that was complicated (3rd option) but fell over in second step as I could not find any "apply to folder button"'.

However, the simple put *.* in search bar, then sort results windows by date does the trick. It is slightly cumbersome as I have to do that each time I am selecting files (to upload to sharepoint) but a lot less hassle than I was having to scroll up and down between sorted file block and sorted folder block.

Many thanks.

M.

cereberus, Mar 26, 2019
  3. sort folders and files in explorer

Hi Greg,

You can filter the folders and files in File Explorer using the Sort by option. To best address your concern, we need you to answer the following questions:

• What do you mean when you mentioned “files sorted by latest first”?
    • You mentioned that you were able to perform it before, which Windows version were you using that time?
    • Can you provide us a detailed description of what you would like to perform?

In the meantime, you can try the following steps:

• Go to File Explorer.
    • Click the Drive where the files and folders are saved.
    • Under Current view, click Sort by.
    • Select Name if you would like to sort it alphabetically. Choose
      Date modified or Date created if you wanted to sort it by date. Refer to the image below.

File explorer sort all folders/directories the same ea8092d2-1503-4ff9-b2a2-42100640d71c.png

Please take note that you can’t apply two filters at a time.

Looking forward for your response.

Kristine Arp, Mar 26, 2019
  4. File explorer sort all folders/directories the same

Sorting folders and files in file explorer Windows 10

How can I sort files in the "directory" so that folders are listed alphabetically and below the files are in descending date order. "date modified. The fix for Windows 7 is not working for me. It can sort by descending date modified which puts the folders
    at the bottom of the list or by name which puts folders at top and files below all alphabetically.

Patricia_382, Mar 26, 2019
Thema:

File explorer sort all folders/directories the same

1. File explorer sort all folders/directories the same - Similar Threads - File explorer sort

2. How to get the list of all files in a folder sorted in the same order they are sorted in...

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    How to get the list of all files in a folder sorted in the same order they are sorted in...: When File Explorer opens a folder, it sorts all folders and files inside in an order according to the settings of that folder. How to get the list of all folders and files or at least of files only sorted in the same order? Not meaning just to look the list in the interface...
  3. How to get the list of all files in a folder sorted in the same order they are sorted in...

in Windows 10 Gaming
    How to get the list of all files in a folder sorted in the same order they are sorted in...: When File Explorer opens a folder, it sorts all folders and files inside in an order according to the settings of that folder. How to get the list of all folders and files or at least of files only sorted in the same order? Not meaning just to look the list in the interface...
  4. How to get the list of all files in a folder sorted in the same order they are sorted in...

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
  5. Possible in Explorer to sort files by date, but folders by name in same pane?

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Possible in Explorer to sort files by date, but folders by name in same pane?: I believe this is not possible, and hasn't changed since Windows Vista or 7, but figured I'll ask and maybe learn something new in Windows 11. I know that I can sort files by date and folders appear above them by clicking on the "Date modified" column heading, then while...
  6. Possible in Explorer to sort files by date, but folders by name in same pane?

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Possible in Explorer to sort files by date, but folders by name in same pane?: I believe this is not possible, and hasn't changed since Windows Vista or 7, but figured I'll ask and maybe learn something new in Windows 11. I know that I can sort files by date and folders appear above them by clicking on the "Date modified" column heading, then while...
  7. Can't save a file with the same name as a folder in the same directory

Can't save a file with the same name as a folder in the same directory: So lets say I want to save my excel file to my documents folder. I want to name the file "data", but there is already a folder with the name data in the documents directory. When I type the word "data" into "File name:" and hit save, the file explorer opens up the data folder...
  8. Folder/File sorting in file explorer

in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance
    Folder/File sorting in file explorer: I have changed the "view' option many times but still can't accomplish what I want. In all cases I want to view folders first, sorted alphabetically and THEN followed by files sorted alphabetically. I don't want any of that A-H Or I-S bull crap. I just want to see my folders...
  9. Sort File Explorer Folders on Taskbar

in Windows 10 Support
    Sort File Explorer Folders on Taskbar: Is it possible to sort the file explorer folders on the taskbar ? On my PC, when I have 5 or more folders, they appear in a vertical list (see attached). Every time I restart windows I run a batch file that opens my "standard file explorer folders" minimized to the Taskbar....
  10. Windows Directory folder sorting / generation

Windows Directory folder sorting / generation: Dear Community, My problem is very specific. When searching and displaying 3000 folders in Windows 10 File explorer, or Saving Microsoft 360 Word / Excel docs to that same directory on my NAS network drive - the time it takes for this is too long. Admittedly yes it is a NAS...

Users found this page by searching for:

1. file explorer list files by alphabet

2. windows file explorer sort folder and files by name

3. how to sort files alphabetically in windows explorer including folders

4. windows explorer sorting files folder,
  5. Folder View sorts by date when Saving a File,
  6. sort files ad folders at a time in file explorer,
  7. windows file explorer sorting folders with files