Windows 10: File Explorer sort by date not accurate

Discus and support File Explorer sort by date not accurate in Windows 10 Support to solve the problem; To my knowledge the SORT BY DATE order goes off the last Saved Date not the Created Date but for the life of me I've been getting things showing up in... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Support' started by clrader, Oct 8, 2018.

1. clrader Win User

File Explorer sort by date not accurate

To my knowledge the SORT BY DATE order goes off the last Saved Date not the Created Date but for the life of me I've been getting things showing up in the wrong order occasionally and it's started effecting a syncing program that I use. My clock is set correctly and when I go to file and properties of the file the dates are correct in there. Is there another place that Microsoft stores the time files?

:)

clrader, Oct 8, 2018

2. sort folders and files in explorer

Hi Greg,

You can filter the folders and files in File Explorer using the Sort by option. To best address your concern, we need you to answer the following questions:

• What do you mean when you mentioned “files sorted by latest first”?
    • You mentioned that you were able to perform it before, which Windows version were you using that time?
    • Can you provide us a detailed description of what you would like to perform?

In the meantime, you can try the following steps:

• Go to File Explorer.
    • Click the Drive where the files and folders are saved.
    • Under Current view, click Sort by.
    • Select Name if you would like to sort it alphabetically. Choose
      Date modified or Date created if you wanted to sort it by date. Refer to the image below.

File Explorer sort by date not accurate ea8092d2-1503-4ff9-b2a2-42100640d71c.png

Please take note that you can’t apply two filters at a time.

Looking forward for your response.

Kristine Arp, Oct 8, 2018
  3. Windows 10 file explorer does not sort the songs by its release dates.

Hi,

Thank you for posting your query on Microsoft Community.

I understand that you did not find any option to sort the list of files by release date in Windows 10 Explorer. We will assist you.

I would like to inform you that this is by design that you will not be able to sort the files by release dates.
    I suggest you to post your valuable suggestions in Windows feedback app. So, that developers will try to implement it in future Windows 10 updates to enhance user experience.

Hope the information helps. Let us know if you need further assistance. We will be happy to help.

Thank you.

Krishna Prasobh V, Oct 8, 2018
  4. CopierGuy Win User

Windows 10 file explorer does not sort the songs by its release dates.

HI Krishna,

Thanks Krishna; I will trot that info over to the Win 10 action crowd. I just wondered if any under answers.MS.com would know such things. Explorer does have the option down in the "more" options of opting for a "Date Created" or "Date Released." In Explorer
    "Date Released" comes up blank; "Date Created" is the date the file shows up in a folder the media is copied to that folder.

These sort options take place in a folder recognized by Windows that it is a media content folder.

Sincerely,

John

CopierGuy, Oct 8, 2018
Thema:

1. File Explorer sort by date not accurate - Similar Threads - File Explorer sort

2. How to Sort Files in Windows Explorer by Date Format in the Filename?

in Windows 10 Gaming
    How to Sort Files in Windows Explorer by Date Format in the Filename?: Hi everyone,I have a folder in Windows Explorer that contains several files with names that include a date in the format "dd-mm-yyyy" e.g., 01-01-2022 File 1.txt, 02-03-2022 File 3.txt, 03-01-2022 File 2.txt. I would like to sort these files in ascending or descending order...
  3. Sort files in Explorer folder view by "Date Added to This Folder"

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Sort files in Explorer folder view by "Date Added to This Folder": I'm manually copying a large number of files from one folder to another. The folder names, modified date, and creation date are all irrelevant for keeping track of where I am in the process. The only sort option that would be useful to me is "Date/Time the file was added to...
  4. Sort files in Explorer folder view by "Date Added to This Folder"

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Sort files in Explorer folder view by "Date Added to This Folder": I'm manually copying a large number of files from one folder to another. The folder names, modified date, and creation date are all irrelevant for keeping track of where I am in the process. The only sort option that would be useful to me is "Date/Time the file was added to...
  5. Sorting Files by "Date" or "Date Modified" in Windows 10 Explorer Not Working Properly.

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Sorting Files by "Date" or "Date Modified" in Windows 10 Explorer Not Working Properly.: The sorting method is set to 'Date' under the 'Sort By' Option. I have tried different options such as sorting by "Date created", 'Date Modified', 'Date Received', etc. I want the latest file to show up at the top. submitted by /u/SnooLobsters7431 [link] [comments]...
  6. Sort files and folders in Windows Explorer by date?

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Sort files and folders in Windows Explorer by date?: Heyo! I would like to drag songs from my computer to my phone, but some songs are still in extra folders and some are not. Is there any way to display files and folders together in Win 10? Not so that the folders are at the top and the files at the bottom, but e.g. folder...
  7. File Explorer fails to sort photos in creation date

File Explorer fails to sort photos in creation date: I am compiling an album of vacation photos and need to sort them by creation date as there may be some filename changes and photoediting involved. The files are sourced from a camera SD card and two samsung smartphones. The sort by creation date appears to sort the files in...
  8. is there a way to default file explore to sorting by date

is there a way to default file explore to sorting by date: When I download a file and go to email I would like the files to be organized by date (todays date) is that possible https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/is-there-a-way-to-default-file-explore-to-sorting/10b9d017-9323-44df-8fcb-6d5d1e49da16"
  9. File Explorer Date Sort Issue

File Explorer Date Sort Issue: Hi - I am having a File Explorer sorting issue with picture files. I click on the Created column heading to sort by Date, and it is not sorting by newest to oldest, or oldest to newest. Am I doing something wrong? When sorting by newest date, November 2018 files are shown...
  10. File explorer sort reverts to "date modified"

in Windows 10 Support
    File explorer sort reverts to "date modified": Every disk and/ or folder when I tick sort by name-ascending the damn thing reverts to date modified-descending if I leave said disk or folder and return. I tried "Enable_Auto_Arrange_in_File_Explorer.bat" and "Reset_Folder_View_Settings_of_All_Folders_to_Default.bat"...

Users found this page by searching for:

1. FILE EXPLORER WITH FILE RECEIVING DATE

2. file explorer sort by date

3. help in file explorer sort by date

4. sort by date in file explorer,
  5. how does windows file explorer sort dates,
  6. windows file explorer search not sorted,
  7. windows not recognizing accurate file date