Windows 10: File Explorer sort order corrupted/altered

Discus and support File Explorer sort order corrupted/altered in Windows 10 Support to solve the problem; When I subdivide a video into segments, I end up with clip1.ext, clip2.ext, clip3.ext, clip4.ext, clip5.ext etc. When I move them to another folder,... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Support' started by Sebastian42, Apr 29, 2019.

1. File Explorer sort order corrupted/altered

When I subdivide a video into segments, I end up with clip1.ext, clip2.ext, clip3.ext, clip4.ext, clip5.ext etc.
    When I move them to another folder, they appear there as clip5.ext, clip1.ext, clip2.ext, clip3.ext, clip4.ext
    If I click on the column heading, they appear as clip5.ext, clip4.ext, clip3.ext, clip2.ext, clip1.ext
    If I click on the column heading again, they appear as clip1.ext, clip2.ext, clip3.ext, clip4.ext, clip5.ext
    How can I restore the normal ascending sort order as default, and obviate the need to re-sort twice ?

:)

Sebastian42, Apr 29, 2019
  2. cereberus Win User

Sorting with File Explorer.

I tried the method that was complicated (3rd option) but fell over in second step as I could not find any "apply to folder button"'.

However, the simple put *.* in search bar, then sort results windows by date does the trick. It is slightly cumbersome as I have to do that each time I am selecting files (to upload to sharepoint) but a lot less hassle than I was having to scroll up and down between sorted file block and sorted folder block.

Many thanks.

M.

cereberus, Apr 29, 2019
  3. - Retaining Sort Order in File Explorer:

Hi Richard,

Thank you for posting your query in Microsoft Community.

Let me assist you on your issue regarding Windows 10.

"it takes a LONG time for the software to rescan the folder and re-order", which software are you using to rescan and re-order the folder?

You may follow the below steps and check if it helps.

1. Open the drop box folder in file explorer which needs to be sorted.

2. Click on the view tab in the file ribbon.

3. Now select the sort by option.

4. Select the "date created" option and also select descending order.

5. By select these two options the most recent(new) files will be displayed in the top separated by most recent(new) folders.

Note: The above steps are for drop box folder only, if you want to sort the other folder similarly please follow the above steps.

Hope the information helps. Do reply if you need further assistance.

Thank you.

Deepak Kodi, Apr 29, 2019
  4. dalchina Win User

File Explorer sort order corrupted/altered

dalchina, Apr 29, 2019
Thema:

File Explorer sort order corrupted/altered

1. File Explorer sort order corrupted/altered - Similar Threads - File Explorer sort

2. File Explorer Sorting Issue

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    File Explorer Sorting Issue: Up until recently, I had a folder which contained Folders and Files (all pictures) that were sorted by "Date-Ascending". Recently, a select number of these folders are reverting back to sorted by "Name", then it appears to do a index/refresh and then it corrects itself to...
  3. Sort File Explorer Folders on Taskbar

in Windows 10 Support
    Sort File Explorer Folders on Taskbar: Is it possible to sort the file explorer folders on the taskbar ? On my PC, when I have 5 or more folders, they appear in a vertical list (see attached). Every time I restart windows I run a batch file that opens my "standard file explorer folders" minimized to the Taskbar....
  4. Sorting with File Explorer.

in Windows 10 Support
    Sorting with File Explorer.: Just been doing a job for a client and got frustrated. Been downloading many files and folders and wanted to sort by date order. FE sorts files by date and folders by date but sorts them separately so I had to keep scrolling up and down. I want it like below:- Name Date...
  5. File Explorer sort by date not accurate

in Windows 10 Support
    File Explorer sort by date not accurate: To my knowledge the SORT BY DATE order goes off the last Saved Date not the Created Date but for the life of me I've been getting things showing up in the wrong order occasionally and it's started effecting a syncing program that I use. My clock is set correctly and when I go...
  6. Sort Order Of The Side Bar In Windows Explorer

in Windows 10 Customization
    Sort Order Of The Side Bar In Windows Explorer: High, I work on a Windows 10 Home (64bit) laptop and want to change the order of the Explorer side bar in my own manner. Depending on my searching results I got a first helpfull solution. Ramesh explained that for Libraries under the following Key...
  7. Explorer - Dropbox Sort Order in registry not permanent

in Windows 10 Customization
    Explorer - Dropbox Sort Order in registry not permanent: Hello folks, I have changed the sort order of some of my items in the left navigation pane of the Windows Explorer (see screenshot). [img] However, upon rebooting only the Dropbox icon will jump back to its old place. [img] The registry entries are being...
  8. How to set default Sort Order for files

in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance
    How to set default Sort Order for files: Hi, I was wondering if there is a way to automatically set by default, the View/Sort Order. What I mean is, I don't want to keep opening up my file browser (Explorer), clicking on Name, then Type to sort them. Is there a way to have this automatically so it by default? I know...
  9. Explorer sort order puzzle

in Windows 10 Support
    Explorer sort order puzzle: Hopefully my question is clear from the following illustration. In short, I cannot understand why my files and subfolders are not getting sorted into the logical order I expect. Pretty sure thet were correct under my previous XP PC. All folders should come first. And several...
  10. How to use # file order in file explorer

in Windows 10 Support
    How to use # file order in file explorer: Hello I managed to view (#) column in file explorer but I don't know how to assign values to it. [img] 89590