Windows 10: File explorer sorting Wrong

Discus and support File explorer sorting Wrong in Windows 10 Network and Sharing to solve the problem; I updated to Windows 10, version 21H1My files are sorting wrong. When listed ascending by name, it puts names that are "the same but longer" before the... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Network and Sharing' started by KC in Idaho, Aug 12, 2021.

1. File explorer sorting Wrong

I updated to Windows 10, version 21H1My files are sorting wrong. When listed ascending by name, it puts names that are "the same but longer" before the "plain" name. It used to be like this picture below:I need it the old way. When I have a bunch of files of "the same but longer" names and can't see the "plain" one it's like it doesn't exist. It' unconventional and will cause problems. Please help. Thanks. fyi my first post here

:)

KC in Idaho, Aug 12, 2021
  2. cereberus Win User

Sorting with File Explorer.

I tried the method that was complicated (3rd option) but fell over in second step as I could not find any "apply to folder button"'.

However, the simple put *.* in search bar, then sort results windows by date does the trick. It is slightly cumbersome as I have to do that each time I am selecting files (to upload to sharepoint) but a lot less hassle than I was having to scroll up and down between sorted file block and sorted folder block.

Many thanks.

M.

cereberus, Aug 12, 2021
  3. dalchina Win User
    dalchina, Aug 12, 2021
  4. File explorer sorting Wrong

sort folders and files in explorer

Hi Greg,

You can filter the folders and files in File Explorer using the Sort by option. To best address your concern, we need you to answer the following questions:

• What do you mean when you mentioned “files sorted by latest first”?
    • You mentioned that you were able to perform it before, which Windows version were you using that time?
    • Can you provide us a detailed description of what you would like to perform?

In the meantime, you can try the following steps:

• Go to File Explorer.
    • Click the Drive where the files and folders are saved.
    • Under Current view, click Sort by.
    • Select Name if you would like to sort it alphabetically. Choose
      Date modified or Date created if you wanted to sort it by date. Refer to the image below.

File explorer sorting Wrong ea8092d2-1503-4ff9-b2a2-42100640d71c.png

Please take note that you can’t apply two filters at a time.

Looking forward for your response.

Kristine Arp, Aug 12, 2021
Thema:

File explorer sorting Wrong

1. File explorer sorting Wrong - Similar Threads - File explorer sorting

2. wrong sorting in explorer

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    wrong sorting in explorer: Sorting in explorer is wrongAnyone can solve it?Thank you https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/wrong-sorting-in-explorer/ac70ff36-35f3-40bc-8f78-c3f5851046c1
  3. wrong sorting in explorer

in Windows 10 Gaming
    wrong sorting in explorer: Sorting in explorer is wrongAnyone can solve it?Thank you https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/wrong-sorting-in-explorer/ac70ff36-35f3-40bc-8f78-c3f5851046c1
  4. wrong sorting in explorer

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
  5. Slow File Sorting in Explorer

Slow File Sorting in Explorer: I have a folder with about 3200 files, each file is about 60mb. I want it to sort by date/time. It is on an NVME drive, but the sort is taking 5+ minutes.....anything I can do to speed it up?...
  6. File Explorer Sort Issue

File Explorer Sort Issue: I have lost the option, when sorting items within explorer folders to list in in Ascending or Descending. Only recently -I would say this month. I store many thousands of Images (jpg mostly). Some projects I workflow against date created or name for examples. It was there...
  7. File Explorer Sorting

File Explorer Sorting: I have one folder in File Explorer that sorts by 0 -9, A-H, I-P, Q-Z. All other folders sort by folders are on the top, files on the bottom, sorted by alpha. How do I change so it's sorted by folders, files in alpha? Thanks....
  8. File Explorer Sorting Issue

File Explorer Sorting Issue: Up until recently, I had a folder which contained Folders and Files (all pictures) that were sorted by "Date-Ascending". Recently, a select number of these folders are reverting back to sorted by "Name", then it appears to do a index/refresh and then it corrects itself to...
  9. Sorting with File Explorer.

in Windows 10 Support
    Sorting with File Explorer.: Just been doing a job for a client and got frustrated. Been downloading many files and folders and wanted to sort by date order. FE sorts files by date and folders by date but sorts them separately so I had to keep scrolling up and down. I want it like below:- Name Date...
  10. Wrong alphabetical sort in Windows Explorer when "show file extensions" is ON

Wrong alphabetical sort in Windows Explorer when "show file extensions" is ON: Movie titles is a great example, if you got 3 files, Lord of the Ring Lord of the Ring 2 Lord of the Ring 3 and turn ON "show file extensions", then it sorts like this: Lord of the Ring 2.mp4 Lord of the Ring 3.mp4 Lord of the Ring.mp4 This happens because Windows...