Windows 10: File Explorer stopped working.

Discus and support File Explorer stopped working. in Windows 10 Support to solve the problem; Hi, I upgraded to W10 on the 31st July and all well apart from intermittent stoppages in File Explorer. There have been 4 stoppages over this period... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Support' started by Yorky, Aug 2, 2015.

1. Yorky Win User

File Explorer stopped working.

Hi, I upgraded to W10 on the 31st July and all well apart from intermittent stoppages in File Explorer.
    There have been 4 stoppages over this period and an identical one at boot up this morning.
    It is reported in Reliability Monitor although I have neither seen or experienced any problem in running File Explorer.
    Reliability Monitor gives no error details and auto reports have been sent to Microsoft. I did do a restart in Task Manager yesterday but it occurred again this morning.
    However in Event Viewer I saw the following for this morning stoppage: Hopefully these details may mean something to one of you and perhaps allow you to suggest a remedy. Thank you. .
    Explorer.EXE 10.0.10240.16405 55b4596f unknown 0.0.0.0 00000000 c0000005 00007fff3887000a acc 01d0cda6fd541180 C:\WINDOWS\Explorer.EXE unknown d2da1227-2059-41f4-b45b-8aa3ece9af18

:)

Yorky, Aug 2, 2015

2. File Explorer has gone crazy after last nights upgrade.

My only has icons instead of full descriptions. I can not get back to a point where I have tabs that actually say something. Please tell me how to get my view repaired? help... Help.... HELP!!!

File Explorer, Aug 2, 2015
  3. PaulJJW Win User
    File Explorer stopped working,

This suddenly happened to me last weekend. I use 3 different laptops - all running the same version of windows 10 - 2 are 64-bit, one is 32-bit - and it was the 32-bit that had the problem.

I uninstalled last weeks updates - no effect. Tried the solutions in this thread - no effect.

As the problem was happening when loading folders tried removing the file explorer history from quick access folder - right click on quick access folder>options>clear file explorer history.

Problem has now gone away.

PaulJJW, Aug 2, 2015
  4. Yorky Win User

Hi remostalin, Actually sfc/scannow was running when I received your reply thank you. At finish it stated it had made certain repairs. That was only 2 minutes ago and it's now a case of waiting to see if that corrected the problem.
    I'll come back in 24 hours or so and advise outcome.
    Thank you.

Yorky, Aug 2, 2015
Thema:

1. File Explorer stopped working. - Similar Threads - File Explorer stopped

2. Thumbnails in File Explorer stop working

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Thumbnails in File Explorer stop working: Hi, I have had a long standing issue that comes and goes without any reason. I would be grateful of any help or advise or if Microsoft can confirm they are fixing this issue. I use a lot of photos in my working life and seeing them as thumbnails is very important to me....
  3. File Explorer stops responding

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    File Explorer stops responding: The issue occurs when I am trying to access File Explorer using any 3rd party software. It might be Zoom, Viber or even Chrome. I have to reboot the system to start it working again...
  4. File Explorer search box stops working

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    File Explorer search box stops working: Hi - we're having a problem with File explorer search bar, whereby users find that randomly it locks up and stops allowing input. Currently the fix is to get the user to go to task manager and restart explorer.exe process, which is cumbersome. I wonder if anyone else faced...
  5. file explorer has stopped working

file explorer has stopped working: file explorer has stopped working https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/file-explorer-has-stopped-working/32d4c912-9faf-48ab-8b00-048d510f4777"
  6. File Explorer's Play all command stopped working

File Explorer's Play all command stopped working: File Explorer's Play all command stopped working with folders that contain flac files. Returns error message "Unable to find a playable file". Double-clicking in a file in the same folder successfully plays the file....
  7. File Explorer stopped refreshing

in Windows 10 Support
    File Explorer stopped refreshing: Until yesterday, when I deleted a file shown in File Explorer, it immediately vanished. But now, deleted files won’t go away until I right-click on a blank space and click Refresh. Same with renamed files. I did a SFC /scannow, which found some problems and corrected them,...
  8. Right club File explorer stopped working

Right club File explorer stopped working: I thought Microsoft took this feature away, but it still works on my other laptop. Both machines are on latest insider release of Win10 Pro 64bit. I have file explorer pinned to my taskbar. The expected result from right clicking that shortcut is it gives you a list of...
  9. Under Win 10, file explorer stopped working

in Windows 10 Support
    Under Win 10, file explorer stopped working: The file explorer stopped working. I tried to start the sfc /scannow utility, however the dos cmd prompt for admin does not come up. I tried a regular dos command, but apparently does not have admin privileges. My computer account has admin privileges. Any advise? 18876
  10. Explorer stops working

in Windows 10 Support
    Explorer stops working: sfc log file attached, looking for inputs. symptoms include but no limited to: -mouse over bug, toolbars changing in colour being greyed or highlighted, but will not return -drives appear empty, until complete freeze -time/date simply disappear along with other random...