Windows 10: File Explorer tasks locking up after 2020-07 Cume Update KB4565633

Discus and support File Explorer tasks locking up after 2020-07 Cume Update KB4565633 in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging to solve the problem; Over the last several weeks I've had problems with File Explorer. Looking at update history it's hard for me to know exactly when this started, but... Discussion in 'Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging' started by TomCluster, Aug 14, 2020.

1. File Explorer tasks locking up after 2020-07 Cume Update KB4565633

Over the last several weeks I've had problems with File Explorer. Looking at update history it's hard for me to know exactly when this started, but I'd guess the problem was introduced with KB4565483 2020-07 Cumulative Update for Windows 10 Version 1909 for x-64 -applied 7/15/2020. Before this evening I was able to get out of the locks, either by cancelling tasks or waiting for something to time out, but tonight the whole system locked and the only thing I could do was CTL-ALT-DELETE and then click on "Restart" which is in one of the icons in the lower right corner of the screen.

Tonight's problem occurred when I highlighted two adjacent files in a directory list, then right clicked to delete both of them. At that point nothing else would work. In CTL-ALT-DELETE I couldn't even get anything by clicking on Task Manager.

Earlier problems would be when I'd click on a picture or PDF file to view it. Usually I do double clicks. Something would start but then the object that I wished to view wouldn't come up. If it was a picture I'd get a border around a blank area. Sometimes this would happen when I'd click on a file in Thunderbird for example, a file shown as an attachment to an outgoing message which hasn't yet been sent - I often do this to make sure that the file I've attached is the right file. I suspect Thunderbird merely invoked the same routines that are involved in clicking on a file name in File Explorer.

I've been using Windows 10 for a long time years, and I've never had these problems. I'm fairly certain something in Windows 10 code has changed. My current level is 2020-08 but that was only installed on August 11, and this problem existed before then. I can't be more exact when it started because the first few times I didn't pay any attention to it, but it seems to me the problem began within the last several weeks, which is why I think it must have been introduced on 7/15 from 2020-07.

Thank you.

:)

TomCluster, Aug 14, 2020
  2. Caelestis Win User
    Caelestis, Aug 14, 2020
  3. Brink Win User
    KB4565633 Cumulative Update .NET Framework 3.5, 4.8 Windows 10 July 14

Source: https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/help/4565633

Direct download links for KB4565633 MSU file from Microsoft Update Catalog:

Download KB4565633 MSU for Windows 10 v1903 and v1909 32-bit (x86) - 41.1 MB

Download KB4565633 MSU for Windows 10 v1903 and v1909 64-bit (x64) - 71.5 MB

Brink, Aug 14, 2020
  4. File Explorer tasks locking up after 2020-07 Cume Update KB4565633

07/16/2020 update

all my Microsoft apps stopped working after 07/16/2020 update and Microsoft APP store is gone also. Can the fix be quick??

randallkluey, Aug 14, 2020
Thema:

File Explorer tasks locking up after 2020-07 Cume Update KB4565633

1. File Explorer tasks locking up after 2020-07 Cume Update KB4565633 - Similar Threads - File Explorer tasks

2. File Explorer locks up in Home section

in Windows 10 Gaming
    File Explorer locks up in Home section: When select File Explorer it goes to Home and say working on it but nothing happens and it locks up. If I right click on the icon and select anything else it seems to work...
  3. Right Click on Files Locks up Explorer

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Right Click on Files Locks up Explorer: This happens on some files in some folders but I can't say which as there seems to be no pattern. But most , when I right click on them I get the wait cursor and have to close explorer. This is a brand new install of Windows 10 and this did not do it in the first weeks after...
  4. Right Click on Files Locks up Explorer

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Right Click on Files Locks up Explorer: This happens on some files in some folders but I can't say which as there seems to be no pattern. But most , when I right click on them I get the wait cursor and have to close explorer. This is a brand new install of Windows 10 and this did not do it in the first weeks after...
  5. Right Click on Files Locks up Explorer

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
  6. File Explorer Error After W10 update on 15 oct 2020

File Explorer Error After W10 update on 15 oct 2020: I have no choice but to update my windows when I finished my works at evening. Because when I click shut down or restart, it will be being updated. When I using my laptop again at night, suddenly file explorer keep on not responding whenever I did some action like copy and...
  7. Windows Explorer locking up with new files

in Windows 10 Support
    Windows Explorer locking up with new files: Hello. Occasionally, when I am writing a new large file such as a video file, Windows Explorer will lock up on me when I access the folder. Until I go into Safe Mode and delete the offending file, I can access the folder momentarily before it locks up again. I can sometimes...
  8. Task bar and File explorer colors messed up after last update

in Windows 10 Customization
    Task bar and File explorer colors messed up after last update: I did the Windows 10 Version 2004 update this morning and it changed ALL of my personalized settings. Everything was sort of gray. I was able to get the photo back as my wallpaper. I had to redo my browser FireFox menu bar settings - they were all changed. But now I can't...
  9. 07/16/2020 update

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    07/16/2020 update: all my Microsoft apps stopped working after 07/16/2020 update and Microsoft APP store is gone also. Can the fix be quick?? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/07162020-update/62ad5ddf-e821-4c2b-bf28-c9e6a545f68c
  10. Win10 File explorer sub menus locks up explorer after latest update

Win10 File explorer sub menus locks up explorer after latest update: open file explorer>right click on a file>Submenu opens>explorer freezes ribbon is also never finishing parse. Anywhere to report? makes explorer essentially useless...