Windows 10: File Explorer Thumbnail Preview Spacing

Discus and support File Explorer Thumbnail Preview Spacing in Windows 10 Support to solve the problem; Greetings, I've recently switched from Windows 7 to 10 and I've noticed a behavior that I was curious about. If possible, I'd like to remedy it, but... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Support' started by starkline, Dec 22, 2019.

1. starkline Win User

File Explorer Thumbnail Preview Spacing

Greetings,
    I've recently switched from Windows 7 to 10 and I've noticed a behavior that I was curious about. If possible, I'd like to remedy it, but Google searching doesn't really yield any meaningful results.

Here's the issue I'm seeing.

If I set Windows to show thumbnail previews and use (as an example) extra large size icons, I see this:

File Explorer Thumbnail Preview Spacing [​IMG]

However, in Windows 7 things looked like this:

Interestingly, when the "dead space" between the previews is not truncated as in pic 1, if I scroll down and then back up, the thumbnail previews will "delete" the dead space and look nice and compact. However, it will only delete the dead space for the previews that were "off screen." Like this:

I'd like to get Windows 10 to behave like Windows 7 and show thumbnail previews as in pic 2. I've tried deleting and rebuilding the icon cache, but this has no effect. I've also got a dual boot (Win10 and Win10). My second Win10 boot is a completely fresh install, and the same exact behavior is exhibited.

Windows 10 Pro 1909 18363.535

All that said, in Windows 7 there were definitely issues with what I'm describing. In Windows 7's case, if the "dead space" wasn't truncated, then an icon cache rebuild solved the issue.

Does anyone know how to get Windows 10 to show previews with the "dead space" truncated like in pic 2, or is this the new normal for Windows 10?

:)

starkline, Dec 22, 2019
  2. Paolo Mag Win User

"This file can't be previewed" problem in explorer

Hi Deborah,

For us to provide an accurate resolution, kindly elaborate the issue by answering the questions listed below:

• Since when have you been experiencing this issue?
    • Were there any changes on your PC before this happened like software or updates installed?

For initial troubleshooting, we suggest that you follow the steps listed below:

• Open File Explorer.
    • Access this link

C:\Users\USERNAME\AppData\Local\Microsoft\Windows\Explorer
    • Delete all the files.
    • After deleting the files kindly try and see if there's a thumbnail preview of your files.

We're looking forward to your response.

Paolo Mag, Dec 22, 2019
  3. Preview and thumbnails of pdf files are not available

Hi Michelle, my name is Martin and I'm an Independent Advisor. I'll try to help you here.

Preview and Thumbnails of PDF files can be disabled on your PC . . .

I suggest that you follow steps below to enable this feature

Start Adobe Reader

Tap on Edit in the menu bar and select Preferences

Under Categories highlight General

Put the checkmark next to the box Enable PDF thumbnail previews in Windows Explorer

I also recommend the article - Enable thumbnail of PDFs in Windows Explorer to get further information

https://helpx.adobe.com/acrobat/using/enable-pd...

Martin Jenkinss, Dec 22, 2019
  4. Allan Mej Win User

Thumbnails in Explorer not opening for preview

Hi Lyn,

There are many possible reasons why you are unable to open some thumbnails on the file explorer. For us to assist, kindly provide these following information:

• Are you using Insider preview?
    • May we have a screenshot of the thumbnails that you are unable to open.
    • What are the troubleshooting methods that you've tried so far?

We'll be looking forward for your reply.

Regards.

Allan Mej, Dec 22, 2019
Thema:

1. File Explorer Thumbnail Preview Spacing - Similar Threads - File Explorer Thumbnail

2. Pictures not displaying thumbnail previews in File Explorer

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Pictures not displaying thumbnail previews in File Explorer: I recently bought a laptop with Windows 10, having decided to move away from Apple MacBook. This has proven to be a disaster. I use my laptop as I edit photos and graphic design content. However it is proving an impossible task to do this as all of my saved files won't...
  3. Image Thumbnails and Preview no longer loading in File Explorer

Image Thumbnails and Preview no longer loading in File Explorer: As of earlier today I noticed that newly downloaded images are not displaying their thumbnails. Went online to look for solutions, looks like a lot of users are having this problem but very few have had offered solutions that aren't completely generic or pulled from a Third...
  4. File explorer thumbnails show no preview for videos

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    File explorer thumbnails show no preview for videos: Hi all, I just built a pc and installed Windows 10. I have been working on Macs for years now so there is a bit of a learning curve. I usually do video editing but have run into a problem. Typically when I go to finder, Mac's version of file explorer, I see a thumbnail with a...
  5. File Explorer thumbnail spacing issue

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    File Explorer thumbnail spacing issue: Since I've done a clean install of Windows, files in any folder in Windows Explorer uses too much space at the top and bottom of the file. If it's a 16:9 video for instance, it uses a square box to preview that file instead of a 16:9 box like it was before I did a clean...
  6. How to preview pictures with thumbnail while exploring files

How to preview pictures with thumbnail while exploring files: I am unable to preview images in a file. We just updated our Virtual Machines and I am no longer able to look through my photos with a small preview pane. I've looked online for a solution to this, but I don't have the option to "uncheck" Always show icons, never thumbnails:...
  7. Thumbnail Previews on File Explorer aren't showing

Thumbnail Previews on File Explorer aren't showing: I've tried everything for fixing this. Clearing the cache of the thumbnails, unchecking the always show icons not thumbnails, and a lot of the things online. I still can't find a solution. One thing I might think it might be is that the thumbnails arent loading which I...
  8. Windows Explorer thumbnail preview file types

in Windows 10 Support
    Windows Explorer thumbnail preview file types: What file types Windows Explorer is capable of showing thumbnail previews of in the latest Windows 10 versions? Today mine is 1809 (17763.195). I mean all kinds of files: documents, images, videos, etc.—without the need of third-party programs, plug-ins, extensions, etc....
  9. How to turn on Thumbnail Preview in File Explorer

in Windows 10 Support
    How to turn on Thumbnail Preview in File Explorer: How to I turn on Thumbnail Preview for my JPEG 's in File Exploere? 15850
  10. Preview Bar Displaying WRONG Thumbnails in the File Explorer

in Windows 10 Support
    Preview Bar Displaying WRONG Thumbnails in the File Explorer: My laptop is displaying the wrong thumbnails after i upgrade to windows 10. When you open the file explorer and preview an file the next file your going to preview will be same thumbnail to the first one even the other files. Here s an video so i can explain well....

Users found this page by searching for:

1. file explorer file thumbnail spacing keep changing

2. Windows 10 thumbnail spacing