Windows 10: File explorer thumbnails show no preview for videos

Discus and support File explorer thumbnails show no preview for videos in Windows 10 Ask Insider to solve the problem; Hi all, I just built a pc and installed Windows 10. I have been working on Macs for years now so there is a bit of a learning curve. I usually do video... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Ask Insider' started by /u/mjordanhill, Sep 6, 2020.

1. File explorer thumbnails show no preview for videos

Hi all, I just built a pc and installed Windows 10. I have been working on Macs for years now so there is a bit of a learning curve. I usually do video editing but have run into a problem. Typically when I go to finder, Mac's version of file explorer, I see a thumbnail with a preview of what the video is which is necessary for selecting the right clips. However, when I am in file explorer it is a generic icon of what program is set to open it. I have gone through a number of tutorials to change the settings to fix this but to no avail.

submitted by /u/mjordanhill
    [link] [comments]

:)

/u/mjordanhill, Sep 6, 2020
  2. Dyan Rey Win User

Video preview thumbnails

Hello,

System file corruption is one of the possible reasons why thumbnail preview has recently disappeared. To better assist you, please answer the following:

• For clarification, are referring to video preview thumbnails when using File Explorer?
    • We would like to verify if you are referring to the Fall Creators Update. To see your
      Windows build and version, please follow the steps in this
      article

In the meantime, we suggest creating a Test User Profile. This is to see if the same issue occurs on a different user profile.

To create a Test User Profile, follow these steps:

• On Search, type Settings then hit the
      Enter
      key.
    • On Settings window, select Accounts.
    • Select Family & other people.
    • Select Add someone else to this PC.
    • Name the User Profile as TEST.
    • Assign a password for TEST user, then select Next.
    • Sign in TEST user.

We'll be waiting on the results.

Dyan Rey, Sep 6, 2020
  3. nelsonskp Win User
    Video preview in Windows Explorer

When a video is previewed in explorer subsequent thumbnails show first preview. Even when other videos are viewed, the thumbnail show the first video highlighted.

Is there a fix?

Stuart

nelsonskp, Sep 6, 2020
  4. ste0 Win User

File explorer thumbnails show no preview for videos

PDF thumbnails not showing in Windows 10 file explorer

In Acrobat Reader DC, go to Preferences > General and then select Enable PDF thumbnail previews in Windows Explorer.

This should show thumbnails in File Explorer. For some reason, my selection got turned off (not by me). Check your settings again. I have done this same step for numerous computers now, and so far they all work.

The first time you do this, Adobe Reader DC actually has a pop-up saying something like installing a add-on or extension. If you don't see this, then I suggest a reinstall of the latest DC.

ste0, Sep 6, 2020
Thema:

File explorer thumbnails show no preview for videos

1. File explorer thumbnails show no preview for videos - Similar Threads - File explorer thumbnails

2. File Thumbnail Preview Not Showing

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    File Thumbnail Preview Not Showing: Hello there,I was working on File Explorer recently and noticed that my file thumbnails mostly my video files are not showing their thumbnails in my folder instead of the program icon. I've had this problem for quite some time now, since a few months ago. It's becoming a...
  3. File Thumbnail Preview Not Showing

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    File Thumbnail Preview Not Showing: Hello there,I was working on File Explorer recently and noticed that my file thumbnails mostly my video files are not showing their thumbnails in my folder instead of the program icon. I've had this problem for quite some time now, since a few months ago. It's becoming a...
  4. File Thumbnail Preview Not Showing

in Windows 10 Gaming
  5. File Explorer Thumbnail Preview Spacing

in Windows 10 Support
    File Explorer Thumbnail Preview Spacing: Greetings, I've recently switched from Windows 7 to 10 and I've noticed a behavior that I was curious about. If possible, I'd like to remedy it, but Google searching doesn't really yield any meaningful results. Here's the issue I'm seeing. If I set Windows to show thumbnail...
  6. File Explorer not showing thumbnails

in Windows 10 Support
    File Explorer not showing thumbnails: My file explorer is not displaying thumbnails ( as it was earlier) instead it is showing default program icon ( windows photo viewer, set as default for all pictures) for all picture files like jpgs, bmps. When I browse folders containing pictures. at first it displays...
  7. Thumbnail Previews on File Explorer aren't showing

Thumbnail Previews on File Explorer aren't showing: I've tried everything for fixing this. Clearing the cache of the thumbnails, unchecking the always show icons not thumbnails, and a lot of the things online. I still can't find a solution. One thing I might think it might be is that the thumbnails arent loading which I...
  8. File Explorer Not Showing Image and Video Previews

File Explorer Not Showing Image and Video Previews: None of the previews are showing up. Any way to fix this?[ATTACH] https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/file-explorer-not-showing-image-and-video-previews/71c39d2a-04d5-4f9f-a200-594413d60dac"
  9. PNG Files not showing the preview thumbnail

PNG Files not showing the preview thumbnail: I had this issue a few months ago, where all my PNG files stopped showing their preview thumbnails on the picture icon. This happened at the same time when my applications started losing their icons images (such as the "Configurations" app, Calculator, and 3rd party...
  10. Video Files Not Showing Thumbnails in File Explorer

in Windows 10 Support
    Video Files Not Showing Thumbnails in File Explorer: I've ran Disk Cleaner to delete the thumbnails. I've deleted the thumbnail caches via command prompt (Admin). I've gone through View/Options/View and made sure "Always show icons, never thumbnails" was not checked. And still, I cannot get thumbnails for my .mp4...