Windows 10: File explorer unable to open word documents not responding

Discus and support File explorer unable to open word documents not responding in Windows 10 Network and Sharing to solve the problem; File Explorer is unable open Word documents - not responding message and forced to end task... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Network and Sharing' started by MikeSimmons5, Feb 9, 2020.

1. File explorer unable to open word documents not responding

File Explorer is unable open Word documents - not responding message and forced to end task

:)

MikeSimmons5, Feb 9, 2020

2. microsoft word 2003

In the past year or so I've noticed another quirk where a downloaded Word document or other Office document won't open regardless of the steps I take to open them. After deleting the file and re-downloading the document it opens without issue. I've been using Chrome almost exclusively so I'm not sure if I've experienced this with Explorer or Firefox. So one last step to try might be to obtain another copy of your files if they are being generated and fetched externally to your system (ie. try downloading them again as the file might have simply been corrupted).

Beertintedgoggles, Feb 9, 2020
  3. Unable to open Word document

Can any one help? I have a word document that I am unable to open. When I click on the document it comes up with 'unable to read this content, do you want to recover? However when I click yes it then comes up with 'word experienced an error '. I've searched
    multiple things to recover it and I just can't seem to open it.

Another problem is that the file type is classed as a short cut. If anyone has any suggestions or even some insight on what the blood hell I've done that'd be great.

RyanWalton2, Feb 9, 2020
  4. DaveM121 Win User

File explorer unable to open word documents not responding

Unable to open word document through Windows File Explorer

Hi Diane,

Are you able to open Word files from inside Word - File - Open

If Word opens files form inside Word, but not by double clicking Word files on your PC, follow these steps to perform a full repair of your Office installation . . .

Open Control Panel - Programs and Features

Click Microsoft Office in the list of installed applications

At the top, click 'Change'

On the resulting dialog, click 'Repair' - choose the Online Repair, it is a comprehensive fix

That should fix any issues with your Office Installation . . .

DaveM121, Feb 9, 2020
Thema:

File explorer unable to open word documents not responding

1. File explorer unable to open word documents not responding - Similar Threads - File explorer unable

2. File Explorer freezes when opening Word Documents

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    File Explorer freezes when opening Word Documents: Hi. I've been having a problem with my File Explorer freezing every time I click on, or try to open or rename, a Word document. Status bar shows 'Not Responding'. To get out of it I can just close it with the 'x' button which takes a few seconds and makes the taskbar and...
  3. File Explorer freezes when opening Word Documents

in Windows 10 Gaming
    File Explorer freezes when opening Word Documents: Hi. I've been having a problem with my File Explorer freezing every time I click on, or try to open or rename, a Word document. Status bar shows 'Not Responding'. To get out of it I can just close it with the 'x' button which takes a few seconds and makes the taskbar and...
  4. File Explorer freezes when opening Word Documents

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
  5. Windows Explorer "Not Responding" after Opening Word 2007 Document

in Windows 10 Support
    Windows Explorer "Not Responding" after Opening Word 2007 Document: I'm using Windows 10 Pro, version 2004, Build 19041.508. A few weeks ago and out of the blue, Windows Explorer began "not responding" when I attempted to open a Word 2007 .docx file. When I click on the .docx file and then immediately attempt to switch to Explorer, I...
  6. Windows Explorer Stops Responding when opening a file in Documents

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Windows Explorer Stops Responding when opening a file in Documents: My friend recently backed up some files with Onedrive. The files that he has backed up are opening in the Onedrive itself but when he's trying to open the original files in the Documents folder, windows explorer stops responding and he has to close the folder. The same is...
  7. File explorer not responding with word docment

File explorer not responding with word docment: When I go to delete a word file in file explorer it freezes and says not responding however i can delete other files what can i do https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/file-explorer-not-responding-with-word-docment/a4cac504-0bbe-4ce6-b642-1c0d7a85fb5b
  8. Unable to open Word document

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Unable to open Word document: Can any one help? I have a word document that I am unable to open. When I click on the document it comes up with 'unable to read this content, do you want to recover? However when I click yes it then comes up with 'word experienced an error '. I've searched multiple things to...
  9. File Explorer - Word and Excel Files not responding

File Explorer - Word and Excel Files not responding: When I open File Explorer I can see all my folders and documents. If, for example, I open a folder in One Drive and choose a word or excel file, it will not open. I get the message that the file folder is not responding. I am able to access the files by using Excel or...
  10. No Word document preview in file explorer

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    No Word document preview in file explorer: ​Since updating to win 10 anniversary edition I cannot get a preview of Word documents in File Explorer - all other files show a preview. This is on a Sony Vaio all in one PC with Office 2010. The mystery is that I also have a Vaio laptop running the identical operating...

Users found this page by searching for:

1. file explorer not responding cannot open word docs in windows 10