Windows 10: File Explorer, very slow to load .exe files

Discus and support File Explorer, very slow to load .exe files in Windows 10 Software and Apps to solve the problem; Hi All, When I double click on an .exe file to install a program, in Windows File Explorer, it takes over a minute to start the installation process.... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Software and Apps' started by Cornishman, Oct 31, 2016.

1. File Explorer, very slow to load .exe files

Hi All,
    When I double click on an .exe file to install a program, in Windows File Explorer, it takes over a minute to start the installation process. When I use Total Commander to do the same thing, it installs straight away.
    I've also tried it after disabling my Norton AV and my Zemana AntiMalware programs just in case they were affecting the process, but it makes no difference.
    Any ideas?

:)

Cornishman, Oct 31, 2016
  2. RahmatPC Win User

Please Help, My PC Unable to open .exe files

if I want to open the .exe file in explorer / desktop, it will create a blank screen, is there a solution to fix it? And before that my pc is running very slow

RahmatPC, Oct 31, 2016
  3. windows 10 hyperlink opening

I have installed windows 10 and now cannot open links to internet pages in any situation at all eg. emails,

I go to my file explorer and it is looking for a exe programme.

I looked up IE and loaded the exe file rot IE. Now when I click on links I go to a blank page.

Very frustrating!!!!!

stevewyllie, Oct 31, 2016
  4. dalchina New Member

File Explorer, very slow to load .exe files

Hi, is there any change in Safe Mode? (I appreciate you can't install programs without modification) - just the response time.

dalchina, Oct 31, 2016
  5. Hi,
    Just started up in Safe Mode and tried to install a program by double clicking on the .exe file in File Explorer, and it started up straight away!
    I can't think what is causing the issue with Explorer?

Cornishman, Oct 31, 2016
  6. dalchina New Member
    Hi, try
    a. a clean boot
    b. shellmenuview (free program) - disable non-MS extensions only & retry
    (and enable again as appropriate of course)

dalchina, Oct 31, 2016
  7. If I copy the .exe file to the desktop, then double click it, it starts up straight away! ..... but if I double click it through Windows Explorer it takes over a minute to start to install. Strange???

Cornishman, Oct 31, 2016
  8. File Explorer, very slow to load .exe files

I'll give that a try! Thanks!

Cornishman, Oct 31, 2016
  9. messed around with shellmenuview for a while, still getting slow response with .exe files in Explorer.

I've run sfc /scannow and had no errors.

Cornishman, Oct 31, 2016
  10. dalchina New Member
    Try (a) too.
    Also, launch your task manager, and then double click an exe, and get a screenshot of your task man immediately afterwards.

dalchina, Oct 31, 2016
  11. OK Thanks!
    I've just done that, but I can't see anything that would slow the File Manager:

File Explorer, very slow to load .exe files [​IMG]

Cornishman, Nov 1, 2016
  12. dalchina New Member
    Hi, well, I'd suggest the first entry - svchost.exe: Local system...... Look at the disk activity.

From what you've said, I understand (I think)
    a. In Safe Mode launching an installation- fast response.
    b. Normal boot, exe on desktop - fast
    c. All else slow.
    So I think that also means it's slow in explorer after a clean boot.

Please correct this if that's wrong.

In particular please confirm you have tried a clean boot and the result.

This is not a process I've seen... but there are plenty of reports (search for
    service host: local system

and see e.g.
    Solved High CPU usage - Windows 10 Forums

So that's what you need to diagnose.

dalchina, Apr 5, 2018
Thema:

File Explorer, very slow to load .exe files

1. File Explorer, very slow to load .exe files - Similar Threads - File Explorer very

2. File Explorer loading slow

in Windows 10 Gaming
    File Explorer loading slow: I am using i5 12th gen laptop. From few days my laptop file explorer is loading slowly showing green color bar. 270 GB free space available in my C drive and 100GB free space available in my D drive. I don't know what happened. Please help me to solve this....
  3. File Explorer loading slow

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    File Explorer loading slow: I am using i5 12th gen laptop. From few days my laptop file explorer is loading slowly showing green color bar. 270 GB free space available in my C drive and 100GB free space available in my D drive. I don't know what happened. Please help me to solve this....
  4. File explorer working very slow

in Windows 10 Gaming
    File explorer working very slow: so when I want to open a folder on a solid state drive or hard drive, the name and thumbnail of the file disappear as in my attachment then "working on it" appears, then after that the file can be accessed. The steps i have done :Restart my laptopRestart Windows Explorer via...
  5. file explorer very slow / not responding

in Windows 10 Gaming
    file explorer very slow / not responding: file explorer very slow / not responding. takes for ever to come respond.done the clear cache,sfc check and options setingsno change.only started after the latest update....
  6. file explorer very slow / not responding

file explorer very slow / not responding: file explorer very slow / not responding. takes for ever to come respond.done the clear cache,sfc check and options setingsno change.only started after the latest update....
  7. file explorer loading slow

file explorer loading slow: whenever i wanna open up a file on my pc the file takes a long time to open I've checked for viruses and memory leaks i cant figure out what is cause it https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/file-explorer-loading-slow/82a7795c-5021-494a-8798-c24ac7d4c4a4
  8. file explorer loading slow

in Windows 10 Gaming
    file explorer loading slow: whenever i wanna open up a file on my pc the file takes a long time to open I've checked for viruses and memory leaks i cant figure out what is cause it https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/file-explorer-loading-slow/82a7795c-5021-494a-8798-c24ac7d4c4a4
  9. Very slow show of files in Explorer

in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance
    Very slow show of files in Explorer: Dear All, First post in this forum, thanks everybody in advance, and greetings from Switzerland. As the subject says, I have horribly slow performances when navigating in folders of my external drive (I copied the content in my fixed SDD and it doesn't change). Please check...
  10. File explorer/search very very very slow

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    File explorer/search very very very slow: Green search bar takes 10+ minutes to complete its progress across the bar .. working on it ... ..... it says - really i think!! Since 20H2 'update' the whole OS seems slow to respond and react, with all apps very slow - obviously suspect the file access an search as the...