Windows 10: File Explorer View Settings Working in Reverse

Discus and support File Explorer View Settings Working in Reverse in Windows 10 Network and Sharing to solve the problem; I was having trouble seeing thumbnails of images in File Explorer, but everything I saw said I needed to ensure to: Deselect "Always show icons,... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Network and Sharing' started by C Riley, Sep 14, 2019.

1. C Riley Win User

File Explorer View Settings Working in Reverse

I was having trouble seeing thumbnails of images in File Explorer, but everything I saw said I needed to ensure to:

1. Deselect "Always show icons, never thumbails" within Control Panel > File Explorer Options > View -and-
    2. Deselect "Show thumbnails instead of icons" within Control Panel > System > Advanced tab > Performance > "show thumbnails instead of icons"

I checked both areas and both were deselected. I tried restarting my system to make sure if there was any chance of something being weird, but when I restarted, I still had no thumbnails. However, for grins and giggles, I decided to select "Always show icons, never thumbails" within File Explorer Options > View and VOILA! I can see thumbnails. This makes absolutely NO SENSE to me, though. Can anyone here explain this to me and/or offer their own experience and how they resolved it? Thanks, in advance.

:)

C Riley, Sep 14, 2019

2. setting default view for Winodws Explorer Search Reasults

Thank you for the detailed response. To change the search result's view from content to list, we suggest following the steps below:

• Open the File Explorer and try to search for files.
    • In the toolbar, open the View tab and click List
      to change the view.
    • Once changed, close the File Explorer.
    • Open the File Explorer again and try to search to see if the setting has been retained.

After performing the steps above, reply back to us so we can provide additional help.

Jennifer Cha, Sep 25, 2019
  3. C Riley Win User

I was having trouble seeing thumbnails of images in File Explorer, but everything I saw said I needed to ensure to:

1. Deselect "Always show icons, never thumbails" within Control Panel > File Explorer Options > View -and-
    2. Deselect "Show thumbnails instead of icons" within Control Panel > System > Advanced tab > Performance > "show thumbnails instead of icons"

I checked both areas and both were deselected. I tried restarting my system to make sure if there was any chance of something being weird, but when I restarted, I still had no thumbnails. However, for grins and giggles, I decided to select "Always
    show icons, never thumbails" within File Explorer Options > View and VOILA! I can see thumbnails. This makes absolutely NO SENSE to me, though. Can anyone here explain this to me and/or offer their own experience and how they resolved it? Thanks, in advance.

C Riley, Sep 25, 2019
  4. lacrumb Win User

Have you tried to go into File Explorer, View and make the changes.

lacrumb, Sep 25, 2019
Thema:

1. File Explorer View Settings Working in Reverse - Similar Threads - File Explorer View

2. my file explorer view settings are not working properly.

in Windows 10 Gaming
    my file explorer view settings are not working properly.: I have my view settings in file explorer set to be compact and to not show checkboxes, but they are not showing up properly.I've tried to upload a picture, but the upload keeps failing. please advise...
  3. my file explorer view settings are not working properly.

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    my file explorer view settings are not working properly.: I have my view settings in file explorer set to be compact and to not show checkboxes, but they are not showing up properly.I've tried to upload a picture, but the upload keeps failing. please advise...
  4. file explorer view settings keep resetting

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    file explorer view settings keep resetting: I set the view settings for show hidden folders and show file extensions. Everything is fine. At some point, maybe within a week or maybe when Windows does an update, it changes back to no extensions and no hidden folders.This is VERY AGGRIVATING.Please tell me how to stop it...
  5. file explorer view settings keep resetting

in Windows 10 Gaming
    file explorer view settings keep resetting: I set the view settings for show hidden folders and show file extensions. Everything is fine. At some point, maybe within a week or maybe when Windows does an update, it changes back to no extensions and no hidden folders.This is VERY AGGRIVATING.Please tell me how to stop it...
  6. file explorer view settings keep resetting

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
  7. Understanding and Setting Windows File Explorer Views

in Windows 10 Customization
    Understanding and Setting Windows File Explorer Views: There are dozens of questions on answers.microsoft.com regarding how to set various Windows File Explorer default views. Some people are looking for Details view everywhere, some want Icons by default, many want to know how to turn off Grouping in Downloads, etc. Most of...
  8. "File Explorer>View>Sort by" Not Working

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    "File Explorer>View>Sort by" Not Working: (I posted this before, but only one person responded. But unfortunately, they didn't have the solution.) The drop down list in File Explorer>View>Sort by doesn't work in some folders! This happened after my latest Windows 10 update; Windows 10, version 1903. Before that, it...
  9. Cannot set file explorer file view

in Windows 10 Support
    Cannot set file explorer file view: Hi, For some reason my win 10 (64 b) install always shows images in file view instead of Details. When I try to apply the details setting to all folders, that selection is always grayed out. Can someone help? Thanks, Ed 72879
  10. File explorer view settings

in Windows 10 Support
    File explorer view settings: I know how to set the view display when browsing folders, but if I use the search facility, the default view is always Content. I would rather the default view for searches, and indeed all views in File Explorer, to be Details. How do I change the default? 105136