Windows 10: "File Explorer>View>Sort by" Not Working

Discus and support "File Explorer>View>Sort by" Not Working in Windows 10 Network and Sharing to solve the problem; (I posted this before, but only one person responded. But unfortunately, they didn't have the solution.) The drop down list in File Explorer>View>Sort... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Network and Sharing' started by JordanWhitworth, Jul 16, 2019.

1. "File Explorer>View>Sort by" Not Working

(I posted this before, but only one person responded. But unfortunately, they didn't have the solution.) The drop down list in File Explorer>View>Sort by doesn't work in some folders! This happened after my latest Windows 10 update; Windows 10, version 1903. Before that, it was fine. Would someone please help me?

:)

JordanWhitworth, Jul 16, 2019

2. File Explorer>View>Sort By Issues

The drop down list in File Explorer>View>Sort doesn't work in every folder! This happened after my "Windows 10, version 1903" update. Before that, it was fine. Does anyone have a solution?

JordanWhitworth, Jul 16, 2019
  3. cereberus Win User
    Sorting with File Explorer.

I tried the method that was complicated (3rd option) but fell over in second step as I could not find any "apply to folder button"'.

However, the simple put *.* in search bar, then sort results windows by date does the trick. It is slightly cumbersome as I have to do that each time I am selecting files (to upload to sharepoint) but a lot less hassle than I was having to scroll up and down between sorted file block and sorted folder block.

Many thanks.

M.

cereberus, Jul 16, 2019
  4. "File Explorer>View>Sort by" Not Working

setting default view for Winodws Explorer Search Reasults

Thank you for the detailed response. To change the search result's view from content to list, we suggest following the steps below:

• Open the File Explorer and try to search for files.
    • In the toolbar, open the View tab and click List
      to change the view.
    • Once changed, close the File Explorer.
    • Open the File Explorer again and try to search to see if the setting has been retained.

After performing the steps above, reply back to us so we can provide additional help.

Jennifer Cha, Jul 16, 2019
Thema:

"File Explorer>View>Sort by" Not Working

1. "File Explorer>View>Sort by" Not Working - Similar Threads - File Explorer>View>Sort Working

2. Slow File Sorting in Explorer

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Slow File Sorting in Explorer: I have a folder with about 3200 files, each file is about 60mb. I want it to sort by date/time. It is on an NVME drive, but the sort is taking 5+ minutes.....anything I can do to speed it up?...
  3. Sort files in Explorer folder view by "Date Added to This Folder"

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Sort files in Explorer folder view by "Date Added to This Folder": I'm manually copying a large number of files from one folder to another. The folder names, modified date, and creation date are all irrelevant for keeping track of where I am in the process. The only sort option that would be useful to me is "Date/Time the file was added to...
  4. Sort files in Explorer folder view by "Date Added to This Folder"

Sort files in Explorer folder view by "Date Added to This Folder": I'm manually copying a large number of files from one folder to another. The folder names, modified date, and creation date are all irrelevant for keeping track of where I am in the process. The only sort option that would be useful to me is "Date/Time the file was added to...
  5. Sort files in Explorer folder view by "Date Added to This Folder"

in Windows 10 Gaming
  6. File Explorer Sort Issue

File Explorer Sort Issue: I have lost the option, when sorting items within explorer folders to list in in Ascending or Descending. Only recently -I would say this month. I store many thousands of Images (jpg mostly). Some projects I workflow against date created or name for examples. It was there...
  7. File Explorer Sorting

File Explorer Sorting: I have one folder in File Explorer that sorts by 0 -9, A-H, I-P, Q-Z. All other folders sort by folders are on the top, files on the bottom, sorted by alpha. How do I change so it's sorted by folders, files in alpha? Thanks....
  8. File Explorer>View>Sort By Issues

File Explorer>View>Sort By Issues: The drop down list in File Explorer>View>Sort doesn't work in every folder! This happened after my "Windows 10, version 1903" update. Before that, it was fine. Does anyone have a solution?...
  9. File Explorer Sorting Issue

File Explorer Sorting Issue: Up until recently, I had a folder which contained Folders and Files (all pictures) that were sorted by "Date-Ascending". Recently, a select number of these folders are reverting back to sorted by "Name", then it appears to do a index/refresh and then it corrects itself to...
  10. Sorting with File Explorer.

in Windows 10 Support
    Sorting with File Explorer.: Just been doing a job for a client and got frustrated. Been downloading many files and folders and wanted to sort by date order. FE sorts files by date and folders by date but sorts them separately so I had to keep scrolling up and down. I want it like below:- Name Date...

Users found this page by searching for:

1. file explorer sort column not working