Windows 10: File explorer wants to sort thefolders and files in groups such as today and yesterday. I...

Discus and support File explorer wants to sort thefolders and files in groups such as today and yesterday. I... in Windows 10 Network and Sharing to solve the problem; File explorer wants to sort files and folders by DATE and then by alphabet. How do I make it sort in just one group?... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Network and Sharing' started by GreggDuguid, Feb 13, 2020.

1. File explorer wants to sort thefolders and files in groups such as today and yesterday. I...

File explorer wants to sort files and folders by DATE and then by alphabet. How do I make it sort in just one group?

:)

GreggDuguid, Feb 13, 2020
  2. cereberus Win User

Sorting with File Explorer.

I tried the method that was complicated (3rd option) but fell over in second step as I could not find any "apply to folder button"'.

However, the simple put *.* in search bar, then sort results windows by date does the trick. It is slightly cumbersome as I have to do that each time I am selecting files (to upload to sharepoint) but a lot less hassle than I was having to scroll up and down between sorted file block and sorted folder block.

Many thanks.

M.

cereberus, Feb 13, 2020
  3. Sort files AND folders by "Date Modified" in File Explorer

There is no option in Explorer to sort folders with files for any property in a regular Explorer view. So your options are:

• A third-party file manager that has this option.
    • PowerShell: using a command like:

gci | sort LastWriteTime
    • Using Explorer's Search bar

If you type an asterisk (*) in the Search bar of an Explorer window, the results will be all files and folders in the folder
    as well as all subfolders. But you can then use Group by -> Folder Path and right-click
    on a Group heading and select Collapse all groups and then expand only your target folder. As with a normal Explorer view, column headers in Detail view can be clicked to sort on that column.

Keith

Keith A. Miller, Feb 13, 2020
  4. dalchina Win User

File explorer wants to sort thefolders and files in groups such as today and yesterday. I...

dalchina, Feb 13, 2020
Thema:

File explorer wants to sort thefolders and files in groups such as today and yesterday. I...

1. File explorer wants to sort thefolders and files in groups such as today and yesterday. I... - Similar Threads - File explorer wants

2. File Explorer sorting files issue

in Windows 10 Support
    File Explorer sorting files issue: I dont know why File Explorer is showing these files on top, as the date created is older I rebuilt the index and its still doing the same. I copied those two files at the top to another folder and it was sorted correctly. Windows 10 Pro version 1909 [img] Any help much...
  3. No longer able to sort File Explorer like I want

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    No longer able to sort File Explorer like I want: I like using the List view in File Explorer. Also, in one directory, I like to sort by date, but have the sub-folders still in my view first. When I was updated to Ver 1909, that option seems to be missing. If I want the sub-folders first, I need to sort by name. If I want...
  4. Folder/File sorting in file explorer

in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance
    Folder/File sorting in file explorer: I have changed the "view' option many times but still can't accomplish what I want. In all cases I want to view folders first, sorted alphabetically and THEN followed by files sorted alphabetically. I don't want any of that A-H Or I-S bull crap. I just want to see my folders...
  5. File explorer wants to sort the folders and files into groups such as today and yesterday....

File explorer wants to sort the folders and files into groups such as today and yesterday....: File explorer wants to sort files and folders by DATE and then by alphabet. How do I make it sort in just one group? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/file-explorer-wants-to-sort-the-folders-and-files/f74f5bad-98db-4c4e-8e9f-6f05be712aa0"
  6. File Explorer Sorting

File Explorer Sorting: I have one folder in File Explorer that sorts by 0 -9, A-H, I-P, Q-Z. All other folders sort by folders are on the top, files on the bottom, sorted by alpha. How do I change so it's sorted by folders, files in alpha? Thanks....
  7. Sort and group files types by extension

in Windows 10 Support
    Sort and group files types by extension: Is there anyway to teach windows to group same type files, ie .jpg/.png and .avi/.mkv/.mp4 together? When I sort my media folder by type, i end up with .mp4 files being sandwiched between jpg and pngs Please dont tell me to make additional folders, I have my own reasons and...
  8. Yesterday I could share files, today I cannot

Yesterday I could share files, today I cannot: YESTERDAY I could \Sharte files, today I can not **Modified title from: YESTERDAY I could \Sharte files, today I can not** https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/yesterday-i-could-share-files-today-i-cannot/6911551b-f6d2-485a-aa61-fba74835f98f"
  9. YESTERDAY I could \Sharte files, today I can not

YESTERDAY I could \Sharte files, today I can not: YESTERDAY I could \Sharte files, today I can not https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/yesterday-i-could-sharte-files-today-i-can-not/6911551b-f6d2-485a-aa61-fba74835f98f"
  10. Sorting with File Explorer.

in Windows 10 Support
    Sorting with File Explorer.: Just been doing a job for a client and got frustrated. Been downloading many files and folders and wanted to sort by date order. FE sorts files by date and folders by date but sorts them separately so I had to keep scrolling up and down. I want it like below:- Name Date...