Windows 10: File Explorer way off in showing folder size

Discus and support File Explorer way off in showing folder size in Windows 10 Support to solve the problem; [img] File Explorer shows size as 2.11GB while alternate program TreeSize Free shows the true size of 128.9GB. 126798 Discussion in 'Windows 10 Support' started by FrostyWinnipeg, Feb 7, 2019.

1. File Explorer way off in showing folder size

File Explorer way off in showing folder size [​IMG]

File Explorer shows size as 2.11GB while alternate program TreeSize Free shows the true size of 128.9GB.

:)

FrostyWinnipeg, Feb 7, 2019
  2. Ques Tion Win User

To show or not show file/folder size

Is there a setting to use to show the size of folders in Windows File Explorer?

Using One Drive is driving me one way for sure. I have many questions but this one relates to Windows File Explorer. Though Windows File Explorer gives the option of File Size, it does not show the size for folders, only for separate files. I am uploading
    folders to One Drive ( a VERY time consuming process, to say the least). I dare not select more than 2 GB to upload, because it will stall.

When I drop folders in the Upload area, the folders are created in One Drive, but for some reason not all photos are uploaded. One Drive does not tell me it failed to upload, it does not show progress, it does not move all the files in big folders.

It is very successful at failing. It fails almost without fail.

So, having One Drive open, and the source folder open in File Explorer, showing side by side, I find that One Drive shows the folder size, but File Explorer does not.
    Is there a setting to use to show the size of folders in Windows File Explorer?

It has taken me dozens of attempts for over a week now to move 220 GB of folders to my 1 Terabyte One Drive. More than a week. That makes for a weak system.

Ques Tion, Feb 7, 2019
  3. How to automatically see the size of folders in the Windows 10 file explorer

Hi Zeljko,

I realize the inconvenience you are experiencing with Windows 10. I will certainly help you.

This issue might occur if there is change in File Explorer settings.

I suggest you to follow the steps below to steps to find the size of the folder containing data in it.

1. Right click on File Explorer where
    Folder
    are present.

2. Then right click on the File Explorer and
    View
    menu.

3. Click on either Content or Details.

4. Check if Size is getting displayed or not.

Please get back to us with an update on finding the folder size, we will be happy to help.

Thank you.

Nyima Yonten, Feb 7, 2019
  4. Drone Win User

File Explorer way off in showing folder size

Directory Size Utility

First of all nice utility, Mindweaver!
    Second of all, it's so nice to see that this section ain't dead.

I have a few questions/suggestions, maybe you'd want to see ...
    • maybe you rename Get Folder button caption to something more intuitive? Add Folder, Get Folder Size, Check Folder Size or something like that?
    • Could you add subfolder files to the right pane? (it can be a tickbox with include sub dirs)
    • maybe you also add export list to excel?
    • there's delete file button maybe you add delete folder button too?
    • and finally maybe you can add UP button for directories?

Drone, Feb 7, 2019
Thema:

File Explorer way off in showing folder size

1. File Explorer way off in showing folder size - Similar Threads - File Explorer off

2. Automatically show folder size in Windows explorer

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Automatically show folder size in Windows explorer: After tens of thousands of people asking for decades. "Why can't I automatically see the size of folders in the Windows explorer?" Nothing has been done. Why can't this feature be made available? It would be such a handy feature to be able to see the size of subfolders. It is...
  3. How to show folder size in details pane in file explorer ?

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    How to show folder size in details pane in file explorer ?: I can only see date modified. submitted by /u/limberwisk [link] [comments] https://www.reddit.com/r/Windows10/comments/ev2afk/how_to_show_folder_size_in_details_pane_in_file/
  4. Show file & folder sizes on HDD

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Show file & folder sizes on HDD: I have used the app simply called SCANNER by Steffen Gerlach ver2.10 free of cost. If it is given the enormous time it needs to scan a HDD it very nicely displays the distribution of Files / Folders all round the disk. As below: If too many apps are running, eg., FireFox x3,...
  5. File Explorer shows wrong folder size

in Windows 10 Support
    File Explorer shows wrong folder size: Recently I noticed that in File Explorer when I right click on a folder and click Properties, the folder size is sometimes shown much smaller than the correct size. For example, in File Explorer, Documents shows as 30 MB (repeat 30 MB), while in Tree Size Free the correct...
  6. File Explorer folders not showing

in Windows 10 Customization
    File Explorer folders not showing: I am unable to open File Explorer to the normal view (folders/files listed down left side of screen e,g, Libraries; OneDrive; This PC; Local C; Network etc.). All I see is Quick Access. I have restarted my computer and reset File Explorer defaults. I have tried to...
  7. Windows 10 File Explorer not showing correct folder size

Windows 10 File Explorer not showing correct folder size: Regarding this issue, valid more than a year from v1803 on, has now been proven to be corrected on v1903, Great! Thanks! https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/windows-10-file-explorer-not-showing-correct/2f8b976b-4330-4fa7-b805-8b9d497fd7b6"
  8. Windows File Explorer Not Showing Folder Size

Windows File Explorer Not Showing Folder Size: Need Help, Windows File Explorer Not Showing Folder Size. Its very difficult to identify big size folder. https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/windows-file-explorer-not-showing-folder-size/7b31df8a-3fe7-41d2-97c9-d5cfb6c93cf1"
  9. Is it Possible to Show folder size too in explorer

in Windows 10 Support
    Is it Possible to Show folder size too in explorer: hi, i am using windows 10 and i want to show folder size too in explorer [img] 107059
  10. Font size in files and folders explorer

in Windows 10 Support
    Font size in files and folders explorer: Hello, How can I resize the text in windows explorer - files and folders, the fonts are so small I can hardly see them with my eyeglasses. Please help. Thanks And thanks for all previous answers 48919

Users found this page by searching for:

1. why folder not showing true size