Windows 10: File explorer will freeze, sometimes the X button fades in and out.

Discus and support File explorer will freeze, sometimes the X button fades in and out. in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging to solve the problem; Often, file explorer will freeze and the X button will flash or fade in and out. I can not close it with the x button, i have to hover over it in the... Discussion in 'Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging' started by Coolmansuper443, Mar 5, 2021.

1. File explorer will freeze, sometimes the X button fades in and out.

Often, file explorer will freeze and the X button will flash or fade in and out. I can not close it with the x button, i have to hover over it in the tool bar and click the X. Even that doesnt work sometimes, so i have to wait. Sometimes it gets stuck in 'Working on it' In my downloads. I have checked for updates, did sfc /scannow, and did the windows update trouble shooter. Before this happened, it wouldnt open at all so i went on a website which told me to edit the registry files for it.

:)

Coolmansuper443, Mar 5, 2021

2. File Explorer freezes when hovering the cursor over the "create" section.

Hi Alex,

To better assist you, we'd like to know the following:

• Did you make any changes prior to this issue?
    • Are you getting any error messages after File Explorer freezes?
    • What troubleshooting have you done so far?
    In the meantime, we suggest you restart Windows Explorer by following the steps below:

• Type Task Manager in search bar.
    • Click Task Manager.
    • On the pop-up window, under Windows processes, scroll-down to
      Windows Explorer.
    • Right-click Windows Explorer, and click Restart.
    We look forward to your response.

Thank you.

Kenneth Mon, Mar 5, 2021
  3. Cannot set home button icon Microsoft Edge

Thanks for reply
    but your suggestion did not work.When i turn off home button in Edge and re-open Edge and turn on home button ...the home icon appears but fades away when Edge is re-opened.

I even uninstalled Edge and re-installed Edge following a fellow members suggestion tutorial but this step did not work either.

Very strange

treblefree, Mar 5, 2021
  4. snoopy51 Win User

File explorer will freeze, sometimes the X button fades in and out.

Cannot set home button icon Microsoft Edge

The workaround is not a solution as I stated. It merely create an button on the Favorite Bar!

Please follow davidhk's suggestion. You may have to run SFC /scannow three times in order to correct the file corruption problem!

snoopy51, Mar 5, 2021
Thema:

File explorer will freeze, sometimes the X button fades in and out.

1. File explorer will freeze, sometimes the X button fades in and out. - Similar Threads - File explorer freeze

2. Folder/File sort button greyed out in explorer

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Folder/File sort button greyed out in explorer: Edition Windows 11 Home Single LanguageVersion 22H2Installed on ‎24-‎09-‎2022OS build 22621.521Experience Windows Feature Experience Pack 1000.22634.1000.0Ever since I updated to 22H2, the folder/file sort option is greyed out. It is greyed out only for "Home Earlier quick...
  3. Folder/File sort button greyed out in explorer

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Folder/File sort button greyed out in explorer: Edition Windows 11 Home Single LanguageVersion 22H2Installed on ‎24-‎09-‎2022OS build 22621.521Experience Windows Feature Experience Pack 1000.22634.1000.0Ever since I updated to 22H2, the folder/file sort option is greyed out. It is greyed out only for "Home Earlier quick...
  4. File Explorer has the delete button greyed out.

File Explorer has the delete button greyed out.: After the Windows update last week all sorts of strange things have started happening - but I accidentally named some files incorrectly so I went into File Explorer, right clicked to choose 'rename' but that option wasn't available. So I opened the files and saved them with...
  5. File Explorer sometimes freezes after sleeping the computer?

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    File Explorer sometimes freezes after sleeping the computer?: EDIT: Screenshot which evidently failed to attach This happens sometimes online on Win10 on a Lenovo Flex 5 14. I have two other systems that don't seem to exhibit this behavior in File Explorer. I have these explorer tabs open frequently, but sometimes after the computer...
  6. Microphone fades in and out

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Microphone fades in and out: Hi, I suddenly got this weird issue with my microphone, it fades in and out all the time. I have tried different microphones and all of them have the same issue. I had this once before and fixed it some how by putting in a new microphone and pulling it out put this time it...
  7. where are the fade in/fade out buttons in MS Photos?

where are the fade in/fade out buttons in MS Photos?: I know that the fade in/fade out buttons are there some ware, because I set them a few days ago, but I forgot what I did! https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/where-are-the-fade-infade-out-buttons-in-ms-photos/863cba0a-001c-44d0-b6ae-6c15428abcfd
  8. File Explorer Freezes Sometimes

in Windows 10 Support
    File Explorer Freezes Sometimes: Hello,Yesterday (24-Jan-2020) installed update KB4534321.Today I noticed that sometimes windows file explorer freezes.Tried to close its window in the taskbar, once it worked, reopened, it was frozen. Rebooted computer, now it works.Does this update causing the trouble or...
  9. Fade in, fade out in WMM 6.1

Fade in, fade out in WMM 6.1: I'm working in Windows Movie Maker 6.1. I want to lengthen the time of fade in to white and fade out to white. I'm going into Tools > Options > Advanced and increasing the time in Transition Duration to 5 seconds, but it seems to have no effect on new projects. Did I miss a...
  10. Sometimes File Explorer Freezes When Renaming A Folder

in Windows 10 Support
    Sometimes File Explorer Freezes When Renaming A Folder: Hello, I noticed on very rare occasions (only on one hard drive) that when I create a new folder, give it a name and press enter, File Explorer freezes for about 30-40 seconds until it creates that name for the folder. I've tried to rename that same exact folder right after...