Windows 10: File Explorer will no longer search for words in files

Discus and support File Explorer will no longer search for words in files in Windows 10 Network and Sharing to solve the problem; I had automatic updates on, but clearly the computer didn't automatically update. File explorer is no longer finding words in files. I've processed... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Network and Sharing' started by ClayAllard, Apr 25, 2019.

1. File Explorer will no longer search for words in files

I had automatic updates on, but clearly the computer didn't automatically update. File explorer is no longer finding words in files. I've processed all the updates from January to now, but File Explorer search is still broken. I really need that search to work to be able to do my work! Help!

:)

ClayAllard, Apr 25, 2019

2. File Explorer Search Not Working

I am trying to search in File Explorer (Windows Explorer, My Computer) and it will not find anything. I can copy text from a name in the list and paste it in the search box and it still finds nothing. I have looked at the suggestions that have been posted and nothing I find that is relative to this works. Anyone have any suggestions? I am running Win 10 Pro on an I3 coustom desktop computer.

Maestro2711, Apr 25, 2019
  3. Word Count Column in File Explorer

I work primarily with RTF documents. I came across the option in Windows File Explorer to add a "Word Count" column to the File Explorer display. The "Word Count" does display but it gives no count for any of the documents listed in the File Explorer.
    From top to bottom no word count is displayed for any file created in any of the word processors I use. To date my search on the internet has not found a solution to the lack of word counts.

NeilShephard, Apr 25, 2019
  4. sfcsfcsfc Win User

File Explorer will no longer search for words in files

File search types in the Windows 10 file explorer search (using words)

Hi

I am trying to find out how I can search for specific files from the File Explorer.

So far, I have found out that you can search for files with specific names if you type "name:<name>" into the search input field.

Were can I find a list of the verbose search commands i.e. a list of the words+column character I should use to search files by other properties than their name?

For example, what should I type if I am trying to list files by file type:

filetype:<whatever>

or

type:<whatever>

or what?

I know that there is a Search toolbar, but I would like to just type the search into the search field to speed up the process. Also, I do not wish to use Cortana et al. I'd just like to use plain simple verbose search....

Thanks

sfcsfcsfc, Apr 25, 2019
Thema:

File Explorer will no longer search for words in files

1. File Explorer will no longer search for words in files - Similar Threads - File Explorer longer

2. File Explorer Search

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    File Explorer Search: I recently added a solid state disk to my desktop as the Windows drive. It appears as C: under Windows and my old mechanical drive is there as F: for archive purposes. When I open File Explorer and navigate to MyPC, Documents I am looking at the solid state drive (C:)...
  3. MS Word and File Explorer

MS Word and File Explorer: I just started using Word 365. I go to File Explorer and open an existing Word doc and make no changes to it. I then close it out. In File Explorer, the listing shows it now has a new “Date modified” with the current date. If I open the doc again and check its properties, it...
  4. File Explorer - Word and Excel Files not responding

File Explorer - Word and Excel Files not responding: When I open File Explorer I can see all my folders and documents. If, for example, I open a folder in One Drive and choose a word or excel file, it will not open. I get the message that the file folder is not responding. I am able to access the files by using Excel or...
  5. Searching File Explorer

Searching File Explorer: Apparently from what I have read-we are all stuck by chuck when doing a search within File Explorer. When I do a word search, it seems to go into a document to find matches with your search. The problem becomes you now have to search through all these folders, files, or...
  6. I need to search for specific words in File Explorer

I need to search for specific words in File Explorer: I need to search for two specific words ("ocean glass"). When I search on these two words I get a plethora of hits, none of which contain my short word string. What am I doing wrong, please?...
  7. Search for Missing files in File Explorer

in Cortana
    Search for Missing files in File Explorer: I am using iTunes to locate missing files, which takes me to Explorer. All I have is the name of the files and the length in minutes to identify (and the name is the same). So I'm looking for a file called Class with a length of 2:30, as opposed to a file called Class with...
  8. Searching a document in containing a specific word from file explorer

Searching a document in containing a specific word from file explorer: I have to find a document(.docx format) containing a specific word by using the search options from the file explorer. eg: I wish to find a word containing the word "thank you" within my documents from file explorer. I have lots of document in that format on my PC. Anyone,...
  9. Searching for excel files in file explorer

Searching for excel files in file explorer: How can I refine my search when searching for a particular spreadsheet? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/windows_10-networking/searching-for-excel-files-in-file-explorer/5baecff7-1583-4f15-9e96-6e6e45efd92d
  10. File Explorer searches

in Windows 10 Support
    File Explorer searches: I'm having some problems finding a folder which I'm 99% sure is on my computer. The folder is called "workspace" (without the quotes of course) and I created it months ago on either my C: drive or my F: drive; it is *much* more likely that it is on the C: drive but I'm not...