Windows 10: File Explorer will no longer search for words in files

Discus and support File Explorer will no longer search for words in files in Windows 10 Network and Sharing to solve the problem; I had automatic updates on, but clearly the computer didn't automatically update. File explorer is no longer finding words in files. I've processed... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Network and Sharing' started by ClayAllard, Apr 25, 2019.

1. File Explorer will no longer search for words in files

I had automatic updates on, but clearly the computer didn't automatically update. File explorer is no longer finding words in files. I've processed all the updates from January to now, but File Explorer search is still broken. I really need that search to work to be able to do my work! Help!

:)

ClayAllard, Apr 25, 2019

2. File Explorer Search Not Working

I am trying to search in File Explorer (Windows Explorer, My Computer) and it will not find anything. I can copy text from a name in the list and paste it in the search box and it still finds nothing. I have looked at the suggestions that have been posted and nothing I find that is relative to this works. Anyone have any suggestions? I am running Win 10 Pro on an I3 coustom desktop computer.

Maestro2711, Apr 25, 2019
  3. Word Count Column in File Explorer

I work primarily with RTF documents. I came across the option in Windows File Explorer to add a "Word Count" column to the File Explorer display. The "Word Count" does display but it gives no count for any of the documents listed in the File Explorer.
    From top to bottom no word count is displayed for any file created in any of the word processors I use. To date my search on the internet has not found a solution to the lack of word counts.

NeilShephard, Apr 25, 2019
  4. sfcsfcsfc Win User

File Explorer will no longer search for words in files

File search types in the Windows 10 file explorer search (using words)

Hi

I am trying to find out how I can search for specific files from the File Explorer.

So far, I have found out that you can search for files with specific names if you type "name:<name>" into the search input field.

Were can I find a list of the verbose search commands i.e. a list of the words+column character I should use to search files by other properties than their name?

For example, what should I type if I am trying to list files by file type:

filetype:<whatever>

or

type:<whatever>

or what?

I know that there is a Search toolbar, but I would like to just type the search into the search field to speed up the process. Also, I do not wish to use Cortana et al. I'd just like to use plain simple verbose search....

Thanks

sfcsfcsfc, Apr 25, 2019
Thema:

File Explorer will no longer search for words in files

1. File Explorer will no longer search for words in files - Similar Threads - File Explorer longer

2. Does File Explorer no longer highlight search terms in file names?

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Does File Explorer no longer highlight search terms in file names?: I'm having a problem with search results in File Explorer. After latest Win 11 update on March 2, 2023, File Explorer no longer highlights search terms in file names. Is this feature gone? I relied on that prior to the update and would like to have it back. Might this have...
  3. Does File Explorer no longer highlight search terms in file names?

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Does File Explorer no longer highlight search terms in file names?: I'm having a problem with search results in File Explorer. After latest Win 11 update on March 2, 2023, File Explorer no longer highlights search terms in file names. Is this feature gone? I relied on that prior to the update and would like to have it back. Might this have...
  4. File Explorer No Longer Auto-Searching

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    File Explorer No Longer Auto-Searching: Before my computer was forced to update (after being spammed every hour to update), I could type anything to the search bar of file explorer and it would begin searching. Now, instead, I have to press enter or click the search button for the search to begin. Is this a bug...
  5. File explorer search

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    File explorer search: Whenever i search for files and I type ‘ash’ it only returns results for file names starting with ‘ash’ like ‘Ashes.docx’ etc. Is there a setting I can change so that when i search for ‘ash’ it returns any file name containing ‘ash’ like ‘Ashes.docx’ ‘Crashing.docx’ ‘Call me...
  6. Recent files in file explorer no longer show up when searching for files

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Recent files in file explorer no longer show up when searching for files: Previously, when I opened my file explorer, I was able to use the search box and have the option for files that I accessed yesterday, today, etc. pop up. This was convenient. Now I can only search for the files by name. Can someone tell me why this has changed and how I can...
  7. File Explorer Search

File Explorer Search: Running Microsoft Windows 10 Pro Version 10.0.19041 Build 19041 The search in File Explorer does not work well. It defaults to "All subfolders" and will not let me select "Current Folder". I notice others have the same issue, but I have not seen a solution. Anyone know...
  8. File Explorer Search

File Explorer Search: I'm having trouble using file explorer quick search. When opening a file in file explorer search bar and searching for specific files with similar names, Windows used to auotpopulate common characters in a drop down box. Now it only populates with recently used file names...
  9. Searching File Explorer

Searching File Explorer: Apparently from what I have read-we are all stuck by chuck when doing a search within File Explorer. When I do a word search, it seems to go into a document to find matches with your search. The problem becomes you now have to search through all these folders, files, or...
  10. I need to search for specific words in File Explorer

I need to search for specific words in File Explorer: I need to search for two specific words ("ocean glass"). When I search on these two words I get a plethora of hits, none of which contain my short word string. What am I doing wrong, please?...

Users found this page by searching for:

1. file explorer no longer searches