Windows 10: File Explorer Will Not Search New SSD C: Drive. Searches Old HDD Drive. Index / Indexing...

Discus and support File Explorer Will Not Search New SSD C: Drive. Searches Old HDD Drive. Index / Indexing... in Windows 10 Network and Sharing to solve the problem; I have a problem searching files in File Explorer. When I search files from Documents on C Drive, File Explorer does not find the files in the correct... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Network and Sharing' started by Jack Dirt, Apr 3, 2022.

1. Jack Dirt Win User

File Explorer Will Not Search New SSD C: Drive. Searches Old HDD Drive. Index / Indexing...

I have a problem searching files in File Explorer. When I search files from Documents on C Drive, File Explorer does not find the files in the correct C drive my SSD. They actually find the files in my K Drive old HDD. I noticed what I think is a bug in the indexing location selections.Just as an FYI, my old HDD mapped to E drive when the SSD was installed. I just gave it a new letter K to see if that made any differenceHere is an example - the Search results say Documents on C. But the results show K: drive files C drive has newer versions due to edits since SSD was installedI have

:)

Jack Dirt, Apr 3, 2022
  2. tedathy Win User

indexing and search on desktop with SSD and HDD installed

I have Dell Optiplex 3020 with two drives installed.

Samsung SSD 850 EVO 500GB [Hard drive] (500.11 GB) -- drive 1, s/nS2RBNB0HB56945X, rev EMT02B6Q, SMART Status:
    Healthy

SSD as drive C: with the windows system and working files.

The HDD is drive E WDC WD10EZEX-75M2NA0 [Hard drive] (1000.20 GB) -- drive 0, s/n WD-WCC3F0CTLJN9, rev 01.01A01, SMART Status:
    Healthy

and I backup files on to this HDD.

The properties of C: under general tab is set to "allow files to have contents indexed

The properties of E: under general tab is not set to "allow files to have contents indexed

When I use Cortana to search the backed up version of my file on HDD drive E are returned and not the working version on SSD drive C

How do I prevent the search returning filenames from HDD drive E?

I only want to search the working files on SSD drive C:

Help and suggestions please

tedathy, Apr 3, 2022
  3. Drive missing from indexer search roots

While trying to investigate issues with files not being found by the search indexer, I have noticed that there seems to be an issue with a drive missing from the search roots. Some details that might be important:

• The compute has three internal drives:
      • OS Drive C:, SSD, all the usual system partitions
      • Data drive E:, HDD, two partitions (the other one doesn't need to be indexed)
      • Data drive D:, Storage space, one partition
    • In "Computer\HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows Search\CrawlScopeManager\Windows\SystemIndex\SearchRoots", only C:\ and D:\ are listed
    • The indexer diagnostics tool lists "file:///C:\" and "file:///E:\" under "Search roots", which contradicts the registry key
    • Under "What is being indexed?", the tool lists only paths starting with C:\ and E:\, where the paths starting with E:\ are on D:\ in reality. The same list for excluded paths appears in the Settings app under "Searching Windows"
    • The "Indexing options" dialog shows both folders on D:\ and E:\ as being indexed (when clicking on "Modify"). In the "Index these locations" view, no location from E:\ is actually listed
    • The search mode is set to "Classic"

What is going on here? Why is the Indexer diagnostics tool confusing D:\ and E:\? Why are locations from E:\ not appearing in the list of locations to index? Is there any way to add a drive to the search roots/let the indexer recreate them entirely?

Please let me know if any additional information is required

IMathe172I, Apr 3, 2022
  4. Dalmango Win User

File Explorer Will Not Search New SSD C: Drive. Searches Old HDD Drive. Index / Indexing...

Search Not Indexing Optical Drive

Thanks,

• When you mentioned D Drive, are you pertaining to a partition or a separate external drive? - D Drive = Solid State Drive; 1 of 2 internal drives (the other being an optical drive);
    • Were you able to check if indexing was already completed? - Indexing completed on each attempt of rectification;
    • In the meantime, we suggest that you run the Search and Indexing troubleshooter - Done prior to posting; useless! It does not find any problems.

Dalmango, Apr 3, 2022
Thema:

1. File Explorer Will Not Search New SSD C: Drive. Searches Old HDD Drive. Index / Indexing... - Similar Threads - File Explorer Search

2. File Explorer Will Not Search New SSD C: Drive. Searches Old HDD Drive. Index / Indexing...

in Windows 10 Gaming
    File Explorer Will Not Search New SSD C: Drive. Searches Old HDD Drive. Index / Indexing...: I have a problem searching files in File Explorer. When I search files from Documents on C Drive, File Explorer does not find the files in the correct C drive my SSD. They actually find the files in my K Drive old HDD. I noticed what I think is a bug in the indexing location...
  3. File Explorer Will Not Search New SSD C: Drive. Searches Old HDD Drive. Index / Indexing...

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    File Explorer Will Not Search New SSD C: Drive. Searches Old HDD Drive. Index / Indexing...: I have a problem searching files in File Explorer. When I search files from Documents on C Drive, File Explorer does not find the files in the correct C drive my SSD. They actually find the files in my K Drive old HDD. I noticed what I think is a bug in the indexing location...
  4. search indexing

in Windows 10 Gaming
    search indexing: i cannot able to on search indexing and when i try to off or on the search indexing it is not connecting https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/search-indexing/4dfc976c-6238-4bd2-9da5-e390b5e5cbb3
  5. search indexing

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    search indexing: i cannot able to on search indexing and when i try to off or on the search indexing it is not connecting https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/search-indexing/4dfc976c-6238-4bd2-9da5-e390b5e5cbb3
  6. Search Index

in Windows 10 Customization
    Search Index: Sir, I have HP 14s laptop with windows 10 OS and my laptop has been some issue with search index Indexing is not running from few days back and I have to know proper solution to solve this problem. I already done with all step present on Youtube and by HP consultant on...
  7. Can't index and search network drive

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Can't index and search network drive: A z drive exists which is a share on a QNAP NAS. On other Windows PC's, when a user searches in File Explorer they get results for files on that NAS share. On this specific Windows PC, they get minimal results from the NAS Share. It's as if indexing isn't complete. I've...
  8. Cannot change search index locations to include C-drive

in Cortana
    Cannot change search index locations to include C-drive: Searching any C-drive folders on my machine was taking a long time and not returning any results always returns "No items match your search", so I am attempting to change the indexing options to include my C-drive. However, when I select it on the Indexed Locations dialog,...
  9. File Search Indexing

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    File Search Indexing: Hello community, my files from a network mapped drive are not indexed. when i search a file from Windows Search, it does not find the file yet the is there on my network mapped drive. The workstation is running windows 10, my network folder is shared locally from Windows 10...
  10. Search indexing is indexing my D: drive instead of C:

in Windows 10 Support
    Search indexing is indexing my D: drive instead of C:: dual boot system 10 on C:, 7 on D: Search indexing insists on indexing drive D: instead of C: No matter how many times I uncheck indexing locations on D: and choose proper locations on C:, when indexing starts to rebuild it reverts back to D: I though I had solved by...