Windows 10: File Explorer will not show External HDD

Discus and support File Explorer will not show External HDD in Windows 10 Network and Sharing to solve the problem; I have the latest updated windows 10 and I'm trying to access an External HDD that I was able to format for reuse. However, it will not show in file... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Network and Sharing' started by AlexDresden, Apr 26, 2021.

1. File Explorer will not show External HDD

I have the latest updated windows 10 and I'm trying to access an External HDD that I was able to format for reuse. However, it will not show in file explorer. I've experimented and found that it does show in Disk Management and Device Manager, but I'm unable to access in the file explorer. I've connected other USB devices through the same port without any issues. What do I need to do to fix this error?

:)

AlexDresden, Apr 26, 2021

2. External HDD showing twice in file explorer

My external drive(Samsung) connected via usb3 has started showing twice in file explorer. Opening either shows exactly the same files inside.
    Screen shot below, I've never tried this so I hope I've done it OK
    Any help with removing the "imposter" would be appreciated.

File Explorer will not show External HDD [​IMG]

mactheglider, Apr 26, 2021
  3. Alvino123 Win User
    Files on external HDD not showing up in laptop

I saved some files on my external HDD while working on my MS Surface tablet. But when i plugged the same external HDD to another laptop, the same files cannot be seen. Yet when i plug the HDD to the MS Surface tablet again, they are still there. So, this
    means that for some reason, the files are not visible in Windows Explorer in another computer. Please help, thank you.

Alvino123, Apr 26, 2021
  4. MS-Eric Win User

File Explorer will not show External HDD

File Explorer show different size for external HDD than does Disk Management

Disk management shows external L drive with 931.32 GB, but when I look at it in File Explorer, it only shows 453 GB.

The disk previously had three partitions (Mac, Linux and Windows). I used parted in Linux to delete the two non-NTFS partitions and expand the NTFS partition to the entire HDD.. So Disk Management show this result but I'm not seeing it in File Mgr or when
    I choose that partition in Acronis.

I thought maybe the old partition data was stuck somewhere in Win memory, but I stopped the computer, removed the external HDD, restarted the computer, plugged the external HDD in, and am getting the same results.

I'm running a fresh upgrade from Win 7 to Win 10, and most everything else seems to be going well.

MS-Eric, Apr 26, 2021
Thema:

File Explorer will not show External HDD

1. File Explorer will not show External HDD - Similar Threads - File Explorer show

2. External hdd not showing in windows explorer after clean command

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    External hdd not showing in windows explorer after clean command: I removed the internal hdd of my old laptop to use it as my external hdd. I tried the clean command on it using my new laptop but after that it's not showing on my windows explorer. I checked the disk management, its still there and allocated but it's not showing on windows...
  3. File Explorer Not Responding when inserting External HDD.

File Explorer Not Responding when inserting External HDD.: I'm having a hard time when inserting an external drive, the Explorer suddenly not responding. Thank you. https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/file-explorer-not-responding-when-inserting/bbcbbaa3-6c79-4c4e-ac77-9a28a19273ce
  4. External hdd not showing in explorer

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    External hdd not showing in explorer: I recently got a new laptop due to the screen on my old one being broken. So in order to save all my files, I popped out the hard drive and stuck it into a USB drive reader. It's powered on, I can hear it spinning. On my new laptop, the drive appears in device manager as well...
  5. External HDD not showing in Explorer

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    External HDD not showing in Explorer: Hi. I had a problem with my external drive not showing in Windows Explorer. I went into Disk Management and Formatted the drive in there and assigned a drive letter - now it is showing in Explorer. The problem I now have though is that when I try and plug the external drive...
  6. HDD not showing in Explorer

HDD not showing in Explorer: Hello, I have an old laptop that doesn't have Windows on it. I wanted to put Windows on it by making a Bootable USB, but that didn't work. Then I tried to put Windows on the HDD of my old laptop with a SATA / USB cable and I have a problem with this. My new laptop is not...
  7. File Explorer Not Showing External "A" Drive

File Explorer Not Showing External "A" Drive: I plugged an external "A" drive into my computer via a USB port with File Explorer open. The "A" drive shows up, but only for about 2 seconds and then it goes away. I changed USB ports and it does the same. I checked Device Manager under "Floppy Drives" and it shows the "A"...
  8. File explorer and WD external HDD

File explorer and WD external HDD: File explorer is struggling with my 2 external WD My Book 3TB HDD Problems: 1 of the drives will keep running randomly all night (and gets real hot) after PC shut down. When trying to write a batch to one of the drives explorer keeps trying to access the drive, cannot...
  9. External HDD not showing up

External HDD not showing up: Good day to all Having some issues with connecting my external HDD to my desktop .Upon connecting to the usb port nothing happens in the file explorer don't show up But looking in the device manager it shows up there and also shows an icon in the task bar next to the clock...
  10. External HDD showing twice in file explorer

in Windows 10 Support
    External HDD showing twice in file explorer: My external drive(Samsung) connected via usb3 has started showing twice in file explorer. Opening either shows exactly the same files inside. Screen shot below, I've never tried this so I hope I've done it OK Any help with removing the "imposter" would be appreciated....