Windows 10: File Explorer will start but I cannot access it

Discus and support File Explorer will start but I cannot access it in Windows 10 Network and Sharing to solve the problem; A few days ago, I started having issues with my file explorer. It would activate the program, show up on my hotbar, but I couldn't actually access... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Network and Sharing' started by Nicolas Van Duffel, Mar 31, 2020.

1. File Explorer will start but I cannot access it

A few days ago, I started having issues with my file explorer. It would activate the program, show up on my hotbar, but I couldn't actually access it.Here's a GIF of how it looks:

https://gyazo.com/b4a7203f67e3e3c698fb3591dafbd343

I tried everything I could think of, including restarting the computer, restarting it with task manager, manually closing it and opening it again.

I think the issue started popping up after I installed the latest update to microsoft, but I might be mistaken.

Please help.

:)

Nicolas Van Duffel, Mar 31, 2020

2. File Explorer/Quick Access

I recently started having a problem with File Explorer and Quick Access. When I start my computer, all works fine but then gradually the files as listed in File Explorer and Quick Access start to disappear and soon there are none present. I need to
    restart and again they are there but also again they start to disappear. Has anyone else had this problem and any suggestion to correct? Thanks/

Moved from: Windows 10 / Ease of access / PC

William L Hurley, Mar 31, 2020
  3. Mark Ole Win User
    Quick Access Crashes Explorer

Hi Bill,

Quick Access is a new feature in Windows 10 File Explorer navigation pane which helps users quickly navigate to locations which are frequently used. However, if you're having issues with Quick Access, you can try to disable and enable it. To disable Quick
    Access, follow these steps:

• Type File Explorer Option in the search box.
    • Click on File Explorer Options.
    • Under General tab, choose This PC in the Open File Explorer to: drop down menu.
    • Uncheck Show recently used files in Quick access and
      Show frequently use folders in Quick access.
    • Click Apply an OK.
    • Restart the computer and re-enable Quick access.

Let us know how it goes after performing the suggested troubleshooting steps.

Mark Ole, Mar 31, 2020
  4. File Explorer will start but I cannot access it

Windows 10 Start Menu File Explorer button error "Windows cannot access the specified device ..."

Hi All,

I have a strange error with windows start menu today! Please check the attached two images:

Notes (before reproducing steps):

• My laptop is up without restart for 11 days till now, I am a software engineer.
    • I have ended the explorer processes and relaunched it from the task manager.
    • File Explorer button in the start menu opens "This PC".
    • I can open the Explorer normally by
      • Menu Button + E
      • File Explorer pinned to the taskbar

• I can't open the File Explorer by Start Menu > File Explorer Button

• I don't want to restart, I have a lot of work on other desktops, restart solves this problem. Obviously, it is a bug.

Steps to reproduce the error:

• open the start menu
    • click on file explorer button
      • an error message appears with "Windows cannot access the specified device, path, or file. You may not have the appropriate permissions to access the item".

Step 1:

File Explorer will start but I cannot access it fad2ccec-0d7c-4272-9c89-08b9eb0f0083?upload=true.png

Step 2 & result:

File Explorer will start but I cannot access it 06f0a347-02ec-4462-acd2-2d5f32d5199d?upload=true.png

Steps were taken trying to resolve the issue:

• I tried to restart the explorer process from task manager, but with no success.
    • I tried to replace the shortcut the file explorer button points at, but still with no hope.
    • I checked the permissions of the "explorer.exe" process in "Windows" folder, and I have the correct permissions. I even tried to double click the file "explorer.exe" and it normally opened the explorer without a problem!

I guess it is a problem with the File Explorer button itself in the start menu (A GUI problem), maybe a corrupted registry key!

Software and Hardware Specs:

Windows 10 Pro x64

Version 1709

OS Build 16299.309

Dell Inspiron 7559

Quad Cores i5 2.3 GHz

8 GB Ram

Thank you very much.

ahmedhamdy90, Mar 31, 2020
Thema:

File Explorer will start but I cannot access it

1. File Explorer will start but I cannot access it - Similar Threads - File Explorer start

2. I cannot find Quick Access in the new updated file explorer.

in Windows 10 Gaming
    I cannot find Quick Access in the new updated file explorer.: I completed the latest Windows update this morning and opened File Explorer, and the quick access was missing. I can still add files to quick access, but it is nowhere to be seen. When I search the internet, they refer to how great the new file explorer is. Without quick...
  3. I cannot find Quick Access in the new updated file explorer.

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    I cannot find Quick Access in the new updated file explorer.: I completed the latest Windows update this morning and opened File Explorer, and the quick access was missing. I can still add files to quick access, but it is nowhere to be seen. When I search the internet, they refer to how great the new file explorer is. Without quick...
  4. Cannot access File Explorer

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Cannot access File Explorer: While trying to get rid of One Drive, I can only find Documents tied to This PC but it is really OneDrive. I have an acer file folder, but it does not have Documents etc. It has the external drives. etc. BUT... now I cannot access File Explorer at all. It says: this file does...
  5. Cannot access File Explorer

Cannot access File Explorer: While trying to get rid of One Drive, I can only find Documents tied to This PC but it is really OneDrive. I have an acer file folder, but it does not have Documents etc. It has the external drives. etc. BUT... now I cannot access File Explorer at all. It says: this file does...
  6. Cannot type in start menu search, settings, quick access in file explorer

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Cannot type in start menu search, settings, quick access in file explorer: I am not able to type anything in the start menu search, search box in the settings app and the search bar in the file explorer. screenshots attachedIt was all working fine till yesterday. I tried to install the Amazon app store, and during that, it installed subsystem for...
  7. Cannot type in start menu search, settings, quick access in file explorer

Cannot type in start menu search, settings, quick access in file explorer: I am not able to type anything in the start menu search, search box in the settings app and the search bar in the file explorer. screenshots attachedIt was all working fine till yesterday. I tried to install the Amazon app store, and during that, it installed subsystem for...
  8. Cannot access File Explorer

Cannot access File Explorer: My laptop wouldn't start properly yesterday but did eventually. When I logged in as normal all was ok, I checked outlook but it wouldn't load, nor would any MS Excel/Word etc. Also my Kaspersky Password Manager wouldn't work. File Explorer also wouldn't work.I checked for...
  9. Cannot access File Explorer

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Cannot access File Explorer: My laptop wouldn't start properly yesterday but did eventually. When I logged in as normal all was ok, I checked outlook but it wouldn't load, nor would any MS Excel/Word etc. Also my Kaspersky Password Manager wouldn't work. File Explorer also wouldn't work.I checked for...
  10. Cannot access File Explorer

in Windows 10 Gaming