Windows 10: File Explorer Win 10 - Search Issues

Discus and support File Explorer Win 10 - Search Issues in Cortana to solve the problem; Hi, I want to search for a certain word in a particular folder in File Explorer. This folder contains subfolders and documents like Word documents... Discussion in 'Cortana' started by David948, Feb 3, 2021.

1. David948 Win User

File Explorer Win 10 - Search Issues

Hi,

I want to search for a certain word in a particular folder in File Explorer. This folder contains subfolders and documents like Word documents and others. Here are the issues:

1. Once in the folder, when I do Ctrl-F, I see the search box in the upper right, but: A It only shows a tiny portion of the search bar I assume the bar actually extends further to the right, offscreen; and B I can't see any of the text I enter my search term. The search box continues to look empty even as I type. However...it appears that my text is still being entered in the box as I type, even though I can't see the text, as when I perform the search it does bring back results.

2. However, in the first search that I did today, the results weren't really accurate. I didn't look through all of the results, but the first couple that I opened did not have the search term although as described in 1 above, I can't be certain of the search term that got searched, since I couldn't see what I was entering in the search box.

Thanks

:)

David948, Feb 3, 2021

2. File Explorer Search Not Working

I am trying to search in File Explorer (Windows Explorer, My Computer) and it will not find anything. I can copy text from a name in the list and paste it in the search box and it still finds nothing. I have looked at the suggestions that have been posted and nothing I find that is relative to this works. Anyone have any suggestions? I am running Win 10 Pro on an I3 coustom desktop computer.

Maestro2711, Feb 3, 2021
  3. setting default view for Winodws Explorer Search Reasults

Thank you for the detailed response. To change the search result's view from content to list, we suggest following the steps below:

• Open the File Explorer and try to search for files.
    • In the toolbar, open the View tab and click List
      to change the view.
    • Once changed, close the File Explorer.
    • Open the File Explorer again and try to search to see if the setting has been retained.

After performing the steps above, reply back to us so we can provide additional help.

Jennifer Cha, Feb 3, 2021
  4. File Explorer Win 10 - Search Issues

File explorer not searching in This PC

Hi George,

I am sorry to know that you are facing issues with Windows 10.

I suggest you to reset Windows explorer and check the behavior.

Please follow the steps:

• Right click on the task Bar and select Task Manager.

• Select Processes tab.

• Choose windows explorer and right click on it.

• Select end task

• Click on file menu and select run new task.

• Type explorer.exe

• Click on ok.
    Hope this helps in resolving the issue with Windows Explorer. If the issue persists, do get back to us. We will be happy to assist you.

Regards,

Syed Abdul Jabbar, Feb 3, 2021
Thema:

File Explorer Win 10 - Search Issues

1. File Explorer Win 10 - Search Issues - Similar Threads - File Explorer Search

2. File Explorer Search Issue

in Windows 10 Gaming
    File Explorer Search Issue: After updating to windows 11 there was an issue with my file search. Rebuilding the index MOSTLY fixed the problem, however search only searches titles and not contents. I need it to search through word documents and not just their titles...
  3. File Explorer Search Issue

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    File Explorer Search Issue: After updating to windows 11 there was an issue with my file search. Rebuilding the index MOSTLY fixed the problem, however search only searches titles and not contents. I need it to search through word documents and not just their titles...
  4. File Explorer Search Issue

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    File Explorer Search Issue: I am typing into File Explorer and it keeps acting like every key I click is a new search. In the past I was able to type "Ca" and it would find a folder that starts with "Ca" but now it searches for the first C folder and then when I hit A it moves to the A folders. What...
  5. Windows 10 File Explorer search issues

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Windows 10 File Explorer search issues: Having issues with file search on both my desktop and laptop. the laptop is new and the desktop was just upgraded to windows 10, so I'm not super familiar with Windows 10 just yet, I had been using windows 7 with no issues with this scenario. The desktop is Windows 10 pro,...
  6. Issues typing into File Explorer search and browsers Win 10 1909 18363.753

Issues typing into File Explorer search and browsers Win 10 1909 18363.753: Hello, I have a small enterprise of about 150 machines consisting of various hardware, all on Win 10 1909 Build 18363.753. Currently about 25 percent of my users all are assigned to individual machines are reporting problems typing into Windows File Explorer search bar and...
  7. File Explorer Search Win 10 vs Win 7

File Explorer Search Win 10 vs Win 7: In Win 7 file search, I could create custom searches by selecting multiple folders across multiple drives. For instance, I could search for "filename" in folders named "DATA" on drive F, G, H, I and J. and not bother with the first five drives, or the other stuff on those...
  8. File Explorer Search Issue

in Cortana
    File Explorer Search Issue: Hello, I got a strange issue with the search in Windows 10. If I try to search anything in File Explorer, I type what I want and press ENTER, nothing happens at all, it only searches when I press the arrow button that shows up in the search box. [ATTACH] I've tried...
  9. Windows 10 File Explorer Search issue

Windows 10 File Explorer Search issue: Hi I've just started using Windows 10 and have found that when I do a search in File Explorer, I cannot adjust the column widths as the normal bar at the top for adjusting the widths disappears in Search mode and therefore can't see where the files I've searched for are...
  10. Win 10 File Explorer Search History

Win 10 File Explorer Search History: I had a number of search windows open when File Explorer crashed. I would like to recover all of the search strings from "Search History" but the Recent Searches dropdown list only has a few of them. How can I access the full list? Thanks....