Windows 10: File Explorer won't let me put full path name to drive partition.

Discus and support File Explorer won't let me put full path name to drive partition. in Windows 10 Network and Sharing to solve the problem; I have a NAS drive with 2 partitions. Public (\\192.168.1.246)(Z:) is fine but for some reason MyData(\\192.168.1.246)(Y:) won't allow full path. When... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Network and Sharing' started by JoeOrlando, Nov 16, 2018.

1. File Explorer won't let me put full path name to drive partition.

I have a NAS drive with 2 partitions. Public (\\192.168.1.246)(ZFile Explorer won't let me put full path name to drive partition. :) is fine but for some reason MyData(\\192.168.1.246)(YFile Explorer won't let me put full path name to drive partition. :) won't allow full path. When I look at 'Properties' it says file system is unknown. I imagine it's defaulted to FAT so only 11 characters show. How do I change the info in the properties window?

:)

JoeOrlando, Nov 16, 2018
  2. gmopro Win User

File Explorer - Path for a mapped drive

Sometimes I want to get the full path that i have mapped and copy and paste to send to someone.

I can usually just do a rt click and rename and copy it from there. BUT, if i had edited the path to make it just a one word name or something in the past, i cant get that path, unless i go to Map Network drive and find it in the list of drives i have mapped.

Now when i do that, you guys have made the box very narrow so i cant see the full path so it makes it really difficult to find it. Please widen that path in the drop down folder for the Mapped drive in File Explorer. Why so narrow???? Needs to be changed
    so i can find longer paths in a list of similar paths, but slightly different. It creates frustration. i guess no one there has a bunch of long paths mapped and then edited as a shorter name and doesnt need to copy and paste the path to anyone else. i have
    run into this issue several times. Widen that box there. thanks.

gmopro, Nov 16, 2018
  3. Can't rename "Local drive" in File Explorer

Hi,
    Thank you for posting on Microsoft community forums.

I would appreciate if you can provide us the following information to help us understand the issue better.

• How exactly did you change the Name of the Partition?
    • Is any drive letter assigned to the Disk Drive in Disk management?
    • Are you able to access the contents in the Hard drive form File explorer?

I would like to suggest you to Try assigning the Drive Letter and then change the name of the drive in Disk management.

Note: You must be logged on as an administrator
    to perform these steps.

• Press Window + R key and type diskmgmt.msc
    • Right-click the partition or drive that you want to change.
    • Then click Change Drive Letter and Paths.
    • Assign a drive letter if one has not already been assigned,
    • Click Add, click the letter that you want to use and click
      OK
    • Click Start and type This PC and right click on the drive.
    • Select properties and change the Name.
    • Click apply and OK.
    • Close and reopen the This PC and check.
    I would also suggest you to change a drive letter, click Change, click Assign the following drive letter, click the letter that you want to use, and then click OK.

To remove a drive letter, click Remove, and then click yes to confirm that you want to remove it.

Keep us informed if the issue is resolved. We are glad to help you further.

Sachin V Rao, Nov 16, 2018
  4. W1zzard Win User

File Explorer won't let me put full path name to drive partition.

W7 Hard drive partition issue

to get rid of that 100 meg windows partition that setup creates for you on a new install on a blank hdd:

- press shift+f10 when on the partition management screen in setup <-- this opens a command prompt
    - diskpart <-- start the windows command line partition management tool
    - list disk <--- list the installed hdds in this computer for the next step
    - select disk 0 <- might have to replace 0 with the number of the correct disk
    - clean <-- this will erase all data on the disk you selected one step up- dont use the wrong disk!
    - create partition primary <- creates a primary partition taking up all space on the drive, adjust the command if necessary
    - exit, exit to exit diskpart and the command prompt
    - click refresh in partition manager and select your newly created partition and install to that

W1zzard, Nov 16, 2018
Thema:

File Explorer won't let me put full path name to drive partition.

1. File Explorer won't let me put full path name to drive partition. - Similar Threads - File Explorer won't

2. Windows 11 Explorer won't stop displaying the full path

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Windows 11 Explorer won't stop displaying the full path: The other day, IT guy made Explorer show the full path. Now, even though Display the full path in the title bar is UNchecked, the full path continues to display.Other things I've tried: Restore Defaults, checking and unchecking the box, multiple shut down & restarts....
  3. Windows 11 Explorer won't stop displaying the full path

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Windows 11 Explorer won't stop displaying the full path: The other day, IT guy made Explorer show the full path. Now, even though Display the full path in the title bar is UNchecked, the full path continues to display.Other things I've tried: Restore Defaults, checking and unchecking the box, multiple shut down & restarts....
  4. Taskbar folder name explorer title bar full path

in Windows 10 Customization
    Taskbar folder name explorer title bar full path: Hello, I'm looking for a way to display in Taskbar folder name (it can be with elide if there is a space for that in front, actually preferred that) and at the same time full path in Windows Explorer. Currently closes to what I want is this: What I want is: There are two...
  5. File explorer not letting me search

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    File explorer not letting me search: Hey so basically the issue is every time i try to search, ill go to click the search bar, the cursor does change to the the cursor when you go to type, but when i click nothing happens im really stressed out over this please help....
  6. External hard drive won't let me explore files on one specific computer.

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    External hard drive won't let me explore files on one specific computer.: Hi there, I have a 5TB external hard drive that stopped working with my Win 10 PC a few days ago. The drive is visible, but if it's plugged in I can't select it, open device manager, scan it or look at it's properties without is crashing my system. I've since tried it...
  7. why won't it let me extend this partition?

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    why won't it let me extend this partition?: [ATTACH] submitted by /u/Boot9strapperforlife [link] [comments] https://www.reddit.com/r/Windows10/comments/eh4ybm/why_wont_it_let_me_extend_this_partition/
  8. Minecraft won't let me play full edition

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Minecraft won't let me play full edition: I have Minecraft for Windows 10 and I already had the free trial version installed before I bought the full version but now it won't let me play the full game. I'm stuck on the free trial. Can anybody help?...
  9. How to display full file path in Wndows Explorer

in Windows 10 Support
    How to display full file path in Wndows Explorer: There is a tutoral on this issue, but it doesn't solve the central problem, which is, where is the folder? I mean, which drive is it on? The image shown in the tutoral gives the file path as beginning with "This PC". But WHERE on this PC? My PC has several drives, and...
  10. How to get/display full path *and* file name of a file?

in Windows 10 Support
    How to get/display full path *and* file name of a file?: Hi All, Any way to get/display the full path and file name of a file? It's easy to get the full path, but I want to get the path and file name. I know I can grab them separately. Can I get them together? How? I did a google and youtube search and didn't find any hits....