Windows 10: File explorer won't let me uncheck the " expand to current folder" and "show all folders"

Discus and support File explorer won't let me uncheck the " expand to current folder" and "show all folders" in Windows 10 Network and Sharing to solve the problem; My issue is quite simple. One day somehow the windows automatically checked these options, and despite everything I have tried, including unchecking... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Network and Sharing' started by Tong Zhang, Sep 8, 2019.

1. File explorer won't let me uncheck the " expand to current folder" and "show all folders"

My issue is quite simple. One day somehow the windows automatically checked these options, and despite everything I have tried, including unchecking from the Navigation Pane, unchecking from the Option, it did't work at all. I opened the regedit under

Computer\HKEY_CURRENT_USER\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer\Advanced

and changed the value of

NavPaneExpandToCurrentFolder and NavPaneShowAllFolders

to 0, but they automatically rolled back to 1.

File explorer won't let me uncheck the " expand to current folder" and "show all folders" 96e17c18-755a-4127-a1e9-b47da6d61f23?upload=true.png

As you can see, the data shows the value is 0, but when I open it, it says 1.

I have searched everywhere else but nobody has discussed this kind of issue, and as an extreme OCD guy, I don't want any disobedience from my computer, so I am seeking for help here. Thanks for anyone who can offer some advice.

:)

Tong Zhang, Sep 8, 2019
  2. Ralph Sta Win User

Expanding folders in file explorer

Hi,

In answer to your query, yes, there's an option to change the Folder View Options of your File Explorer. To do so, follow these steps:

• Open File Explorer.
    • Click File tab.
    • Select Change folder and search options.
    • Click View tab.
    • Under Advanced settings, scroll down to Navigation pane.
    • Check Expand to open folder, Show all folders, and
      Show libraries.

You can also check all the options, and set it up the way you wanted.

We'll be here if you need more help.

Ralph Sta, Sep 8, 2019
  3. File Explorer navigation pane sometimes expands to show all folders and sometimes consolidates shows only the selected folder

Both the folders that expand fully and those that partially expand have exactly the same settings, which are as you suggested, so this didn't solve the problem. Any other ideas?

Bruce Needham, Sep 8, 2019
  4. WojtasRed Win User

File explorer won't let me uncheck the " expand to current folder" and "show all folders"

Hidden folders

I installed `Kane and Lynch` on my PC twice in Program Files(x86) folder but I can`t find them (2 folders with game). But free space on my HDD is lower. So there`re those folders on my hdd. I use option `unhide` hidden folders but still can`t find them. Any suggestions? How can i delete those hidden folders?

When I run istallation for this game I can see those folders in Program Files(x86) folde.

I`m using Win 7 Ultimate 64 bit.

WojtasRed, Sep 8, 2019
Thema:

File explorer won't let me uncheck the " expand to current folder" and "show all folders"

1. File explorer won't let me uncheck the " expand to current folder" and "show all folders" - Similar Threads - File explorer won't

2. Explorer window won't show udpated files of folder

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Explorer window won't show udpated files of folder: I have OneDrive folder let's call it "Guides" synced on my PC.I use Microsoft 365.In my Guides folder, there is a pdf file, let's call i guide.pdf.I made some changes in guide.docx file, and used export to pdf to replace existing guide.pdf file. Then, when I open Guides...
  3. File Explorer: expand to current folder not working

in Windows 10 Gaming
    File Explorer: expand to current folder not working: Windows 11 Pro 22H2In file explorer the "expand to current folder" oèètion is enabled but it is not working. https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/file-explorer-expand-to-current-folder-not-working/c8d23e8c-de8e-4a5b-baf4-5b0251883c2d
  4. File Explorer: expand to current folder not working

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    File Explorer: expand to current folder not working: Windows 11 Pro 22H2In file explorer the "expand to current folder" oèètion is enabled but it is not working. https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/file-explorer-expand-to-current-folder-not-working/c8d23e8c-de8e-4a5b-baf4-5b0251883c2d
  5. File Explorer not respecting "Expand to current/open folder" value disabled when opening a...

in Windows 10 Gaming
    File Explorer not respecting "Expand to current/open folder" value disabled when opening a...: I've run into what seems to be a bug with Windows, but maybe there's still a solution. I have the "Expand to current folder" option disabled in File Explorer. Typically, this works as expected. However, when I open File Explorer via right-clicking its taskbar icon and...
  6. File Explorer not respecting "Expand to current/open folder" value disabled when opening a...

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    File Explorer not respecting "Expand to current/open folder" value disabled when opening a...: I've run into what seems to be a bug with Windows, but maybe there's still a solution. I have the "Expand to current folder" option disabled in File Explorer. Typically, this works as expected. However, when I open File Explorer via right-clicking its taskbar icon and...
  7. Windows won't let me delete a folder

Windows won't let me delete a folder: I run VM's on my machine and share folders between the VM and my host Windows 10 laptop. Typically everything runs fine, but when I manipulate folders within the VM/host shared space, sometimes Windows locks up the folder. I say Windows because I have shut down the VMs yet...
  8. Files folder won't let me upload.

Files folder won't let me upload.: Hello, I am currently using google chrome as my default browser. When I try to upload a file ie. applying for a job I keep getting "program not responding". I am sure I tried everything, restarting computer, updating chrome and computer, drag & drop the file. Nothing seems to...
  9. Show All Folders setting for a File Explorer 's Navigation Pane make it expand to open folder

Show All Folders setting for a File Explorer 's Navigation Pane make it expand to open folder: File Explorer \ View \ Options \ View \ Navigation Pane \ Show All Folders setting make the Navigation Pane behave alike if the Expand To Open Folder setting would be enabled: [ATTACH] ....
  10. How to get file explorer to expand to current folder in my documents?

in Windows 10 Support
    How to get file explorer to expand to current folder in my documents?: "Expand to current folder" works great with some folders. But I have a bunch of folders I want to have expanded in one instance of file explorer while I'm working, so I've made shortcuts to them and pinned them to Quick Access. When they're certain folders in my documents,...