Windows 10: File explorer won't load properly, Green progress bar stuck, File Icons Blank

Discus and support File explorer won't load properly, Green progress bar stuck, File Icons Blank in Windows 10 Network and Sharing to solve the problem; Hey, I've been having a lot of trouble with my file explorer recently. When I open it up right after a fresh restart, nothing seems to be wrong. All... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Network and Sharing' started by EthanCrabb, Jan 6, 2021.

1. File explorer won't load properly, Green progress bar stuck, File Icons Blank

Hey,

I've been having a lot of trouble with my file explorer recently. When I open it up right after a fresh restart, nothing seems to be wrong. All file icons are loaded and I can browse around without the ominous green bar. After around 3-5 mins it starts to break. Firstly the file icons disappear and are replaced with blank page icons, opening a folder starts a green loading bar that never ends, and after restarting the explorer, it becomes un-usable and stuck on Quick Access displayed in the image.

I've tried all the solutions I can find, including updating and removing columns and context-menu items with ShellExView, and removing all start up applications. On top of this, I've uninstalled all my recently installed files and apps. Any help would be appreciated greatly, I'm a developer and use file explorer a tone for all of my work.This post is very similar: https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/windows_10-files/windows-10-explorer-stuck-with-quick-access/dd5bb54c-cd87-4122-aa11-627d4fe81a11?auth=1&page=2

File explorer won't load properly, Green progress bar stuck, File Icons Blank eb038899-f6e1-4148-bb34-2798ac1df1b2?upload=true.jpg

:)

EthanCrabb, Jan 6, 2021
  2. dalchina Win User

File Explorer Not Functioning - Green Loading Forever

You mention Windows search too: consider this case which the poster solved:
    https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/...7-c2177a276885

Another possible idea:
    Fix Windows folder unresponsive/slow behavior, green loading bar

If you want to see what's actually happening as that progress bar progresses, you can capture ALL activity (from registry access upwards) using Procmon (Process Monitor) free from MS, but I'd guess it's more likely to be a peculiarity of explorer vs configuration.

You get a long text list of activity; lots of very technical filters to focus on particular aspects.

dalchina, Jan 6, 2021
  3. File Explorer Green Ribbon of Death

When I first upgraded to W10, File Explorer worked as it did in W7. Now when I open it I see a blank preview section and the forever expanding green ribbon in the ribbon bar. I tried checking Always show Icons, never thumbnails and the green ribbon finally finishes. But not being able to see picture thumbnails is a pain. I turned thumbnails on for the Pictures folder only and the never ending green ribbon is back. Possibly a related problem: with thumbnails off (or on) if I left click on a video file in the Videos volder, file explorer hangs and I have to end it with Task Manager.

I have heard that by ending the dllhost.exe process/service, the green ribbon goes away, but so does W10 security and stability.

Suggestions on how to fix are appreciated.

Without a properworking File Explorer, W10 is not really a suitable OS.

Graywuhllf, Jan 6, 2021
  4. jshaw42 Win User

File explorer won't load properly, Green progress bar stuck, File Icons Blank

Green progress bar in File Explorer

I don't remember how or when I made a change in File Explorer, but each time I call it up now, I get a slow moving progress bar in the bar where it identifies the location. I noticed there in the search bar it shows where it is going: "search (JFile explorer won't load properly, Green progress bar stuck, File Icons Blank :) Jack" as an example.

How do I stop this? It takes a lot of time, depending on the folder.

jshaw42, Jan 6, 2021
Thema:

File explorer won't load properly, Green progress bar stuck, File Icons Blank

1. File explorer won't load properly, Green progress bar stuck, File Icons Blank - Similar Threads - File explorer won't

2. Slow green progress bar windows 10. Explorer loading thumbnails slowly.

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Slow green progress bar windows 10. Explorer loading thumbnails slowly.: Imagine the following:You have a superfast PC with fresh M.2 drives. Every time you access a folder, you get a slow green explorer bar on top. It does not matter how many pictures or thumbnails there are in the folder, that green bar always appears. Go to Reddit and Quora;...
  3. Slow green progress bar windows 10. Explorer loading thumbnails slowly.

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Slow green progress bar windows 10. Explorer loading thumbnails slowly.: Imagine the following:You have a superfast PC with fresh M.2 drives. Every time you access a folder, you get a slow green explorer bar on top. It does not matter how many pictures or thumbnails there are in the folder, that green bar always appears. Go to Reddit and Quora;...
  4. File Explorer Not Completing Loading Files and Folders green bar constant and doesn't...

in Windows 10 Gaming
    File Explorer Not Completing Loading Files and Folders green bar constant and doesn't...: I joined the Dev Build Insider Programme on 2 August. Since installing 23511.1 and 23516.1, the green bar doesn't not complete its progress in File Explorer for any of my folders in 'Documents', apart from 'Documents' itself.The update to 23521.1 yesterday did not bring a fix...
  5. File Explorer Not Completing Loading Files and Folders green bar constant and doesn't...

File Explorer Not Completing Loading Files and Folders green bar constant and doesn't...: I joined the Dev Build Insider Programme on 2 August. Since installing 23511.1 and 23516.1, the green bar doesn't not complete its progress in File Explorer for any of my folders in 'Documents', apart from 'Documents' itself.The update to 23521.1 yesterday did not bring a fix...
  6. File Explorer search progress bar is infinite

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    File Explorer search progress bar is infinite: Why do File Explorers searches begin so fast and never end. The green bar moves across the top and it gets slower and slower and never ends. What is Windows doing? Is this behavior desirable or a waste of time?...
  7. File Explorer search progress bar is infinite

File Explorer search progress bar is infinite: Why do File Explorers searches begin so fast and never end. The green bar moves across the top and it gets slower and slower and never ends. What is Windows doing? Is this behavior desirable or a waste of time?...
  8. file explorer progress bar

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    file explorer progress bar: I am having two problems: PS C:\Users\mina> net view net : System error 1231 has occurred. At line:1 char:1 + net view + ~~~~~~~~ + CategoryInfo : NotSpecified: (System error 1231 has occurred.:S tring) [], RemoteException + FullyQualifiedErrorId :...
  9. Green progress bar in File Explorer

in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance
    Green progress bar in File Explorer: I don't remember how or when I made a change in File Explorer, but each time I call it up now, I get a slow moving progress bar in the bar where it identifies the location. I noticed there in the search bar it shows where it is going: "search (J:) Jack" as an example. How...
  10. File Explorer Icons blank

in Windows 10 Support
    File Explorer Icons blank: After reinstalling Windows 10 my Word and data file icons were blank. I found in C:\windows\SHELLNEWthat the WINWORD8.DOC icon was blank so I changed it to the correct icon and itfixed my problems! See image: 90226