Windows 10: File Explorer won't open from Taskbar or Start menu.

Discus and support File Explorer won't open from Taskbar or Start menu. in Windows 10 Support to solve the problem; File Explorer won't open from Taskbar or Start menu and right click on files and folders (In file explorer and on desktop) is not working and causes... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Support' started by ke5tgd, Jun 6, 2016.

1. ke5tgd Win User

File Explorer won't open from Taskbar or Start menu.

File Explorer won't open from Taskbar or Start menu and right click on files and folders (In file explorer and on desktop) is not working and causes explorer.exe to freeze. File explorer does open from desktop folder and shortcuts as well as "open file location" in task manager. The problem goes away after restart but returns soon after. Restarting explorer.exe does not fix the problem.

:)

ke5tgd, Jun 6, 2016

2. Windows 10 file explorer crashes explorer.exe

I've also been getting this problem using a File Explorer shortcut pinned to my taskbar. However I did also notice that you can also open File Explorer by clicking the start button and then clicking the "File Explorer" option (should be above the Settings
    option) on the start menu.

When I use the File Explorer option from the start menu I don't get any problems at all, but it does crash rather frequently if I use a File Explorer shortcut that's pinned to the taskbar.

Extrasmooth1, Jun 6, 2016
  3. Windows Explorer won't stay open after Windows Update on one of three computers

Windows Update just ran and now when I click on Windows Explorer either on my taskbar or in my start menu, a window opens briefly and then closes. Restarting the computer doesn't fix this problem.

I did find a temporary workaround. I can open my Control Panel and back click through the arrows on the upper left to reach a usable Windows Explorer screen. I can create more screens from this initial screen as well. If I close these screens, I still can't
    open Windows Explorer from the Taskbar or the Start Menu.

If I click Win-X, the file explorer opens fine, but after closing I still can't open through the taskbar or the Start Menu.

On my other two computers, Windows Explorer opens just fine from the Taskbar or the Start Menu or any other way.

So, this isn't a fatal error, it's just an annoyance, but it means that Windows 10 is not working properly on one of my three computers.

RobertSlaughter, Jun 6, 2016
  4. xanderax Win User

I had similar bugs with upgrade. I would suggest doing the "Reset this PC" thing, being sure to keep all your files.

xanderax, Jun 6, 2016
  5. davidhk Win User
    Do a Repair Install.
    Repair Install allows you to keep your files, settings and apps.
    Bo product key is required.
    Activation is automatic.

Repair Install Windows 10 with an In-place Upgrade

davidhk, Jun 6, 2016
  6. dperecky Win User
    In the 20 years that I've used File Explorer, I have never known it to fail. The problem is likely your harddrive or file(s)/folder(s).

Back up your data, then try:

1) sfc /scannow
    2) This PC | right mouse click on the suspected drive | Properties | Tools tab... | Then run those tool programs.

Good luck.

dperecky, Jun 6, 2016
  7. Unpin File Explorer from Taskbar
    Unpin File Explorer from Start

Restart

Navigate to C:\Windows
    Scroll down to explorer.exe
    Right click explorer - add to Start
    Right click explorer - add to Taskbar

Slartybart, Jun 6, 2016
  8. ke5tgd Win User

Update: windows updated before i had the time to do a repair install and the problem has not come back.

ke5tgd, Jun 14, 2016
  9. davidhk Win User
    Nice !
    That saves a lot of time.

davidhk, Apr 4, 2018
Thema:

1. File Explorer won't open from Taskbar or Start menu. - Similar Threads - File Explorer won't

2. Settings, start menu, file explorer, and search won't open

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Settings, start menu, file explorer, and search won't open: The previous week my computer force restarted itself and wouldn't boot up for hours. All of a sudden when I log on, I can't open settings, the start menu, the file explorer, and the search bar. Settings closes immediately after opening. The file explorer won't open and causes...
  3. Settings, start menu, file explorer, and search won't open

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Settings, start menu, file explorer, and search won't open: The previous week my computer force restarted itself and wouldn't boot up for hours. All of a sudden when I log on, I can't open settings, the start menu, the file explorer, and the search bar. Settings closes immediately after opening. The file explorer won't open and causes...
  4. File Explorer Won't Start from Start Menu

in Windows 10 Gaming
    File Explorer Won't Start from Start Menu: I can no longer start File Explorer from the Start Menu link, or task bar link on Win 11. When pressed the screen goes off, reappears without icons or task bar then goes back to normal. File Explorer isn't visible but is running in Task Manager. Shortcuts to existing folders...
  5. File Explorer Won't Start from Start Menu

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    File Explorer Won't Start from Start Menu: I can no longer start File Explorer from the Start Menu link, or task bar link on Win 11. When pressed the screen goes off, reappears without icons or task bar then goes back to normal. File Explorer isn't visible but is running in Task Manager. Shortcuts to existing folders...
  6. File explorer and start menu won't open

in Windows 10 Customization
    File explorer and start menu won't open: I was trying to fix an issue I was having with all windows/store apps crashing on startup. I used this website and followed the steps of changing permissions for the things listed there. Now when I try to open file explorer get an error message of this file does not have an...
  7. File explorer not opening from start menu (repost)

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    File explorer not opening from start menu (repost): [ATTACH] REPOST, ORIGINAL HERE I recently changed my Windows 10 theme and now I can't open folders in file explorer from the start menu. It works fine with apps but it just doesn't work with folders. I tried restarting and it still doesn't work. I tried searching for...
  8. File explorer not opening from start menu

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    File explorer not opening from start menu: [ATTACH] I recently changed my Windows 10 theme and now I can't open folders in file explorer from the start menu. It works fine with apps but it just doesn't work with folders. I tried restarting and it still doesn't work. I tried searching for solutions but they were...
  9. Start menu won't open from taskbar on the desktop

in Windows 10 Support
    Start menu won't open from taskbar on the desktop: I upgraded to Windows 10 last night and have had nothing but problems. The biggest one is the fact that I cannot open the start menu, I had worked around it by right clicking it and then selecting what I needed from there. However now that doesn't even work. Any help...
  10. Inability to open file explorer from start menu

in Windows 10 Support
    Inability to open file explorer from start menu: I am not able to open the file explorer through the option on the start menu, or by clicking on the file explorer pinned to the task bar. When I click the pinned file explorer the window that pops up says "Windows cannot find ''. Make sure you typed the name correctly, and...

Users found this page by searching for:

1. search file explorer: open file explorer from the taskbar or right-click on the start

2. file explorer keeps goingv to task bar and wont open

3. windows explorer wont open after start

4. explorer wont open from task bar,
  5. file explorer wont start from taskbar,
  6. windows file explorer not expanding from taskbar,
  7. taskbar wont open windows explorer,
  8. I am having a problem with the File Explorer that is pinned in the window icon at the bottom of the page,
  9. file explorer does not open using taskbar,
  10. windows 10 file explorer crashes from taskbar,
  11. file explorer wont open after compressing c drive,
  12. file explorer wont open from taskbar,
  13. file explorer wont come up from taskbar,
  14. taskbar windows explorer white and wont open or remove ,
  15. file explorer not launch from start menu