Windows 10: File Explorer won't recognize the presence of my USB external hard drive dock.

Discus and support File Explorer won't recognize the presence of my USB external hard drive dock. in Windows 10 Network and Sharing to solve the problem; Hi Folks, Had a disaster with my hard drive (again.... second failed drive in as many years... not impressed with Dell.....) I managed to get the... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Network and Sharing' started by kharrisma, Apr 14, 2019.

1. kharrisma Win User

File Explorer won't recognize the presence of my USB external hard drive dock.

Hi Folks,

Had a disaster with my hard drive (again.... second failed drive in as many years... not impressed with Dell.....) I managed to get the machine up and running with a drive from my old Asus laptop. Installed Windows10, downloaded & installed the apps I like to use, set everything up, accounts, the whole shebang, and now, except for the data loss on the old drive, things are pretty much as they were... on an older drive half the size of the one that failed.

I'd rather not have to go through all that again. I picked up a 1Tb Seagate (no more WD for me!) drive as the old drive's replacement (and took advantage of the opportunity to upgrade to 7200 rpm from 5200 rpm.) I want to clone the drive in the machine to the new drive using my USB dock. However, Windows10 File Explorer doesn't see the dock. I'm using the USB 3.0 port (machine has two other USB ports, but they're an older spec.) On the failed drive I had it set up as dual-boot (Linux Mint), and Linux saw the external drive just fine, so there's no issue with the dock itself or the cable (or the 3.0 port itself.) Windows didn't see it then either, and still doesn't now. Is there something I need to do in Windows settings to get it to see the external drive dock?

To be more precise:

1.) Device Manager does see the device; it's listed under "Disk Drives" as "WDC WD10 JPLX-00MBPT1 USB DEVICE." Device manager says the device is working properly (no yellow triangle with exclamation point.)

2.) No issues with any USB drivers (again, no yellow triangle with exclamation point.)

3.) Hardware worked just fine in Linux Mint; good dock, good cable.

4.) Windows File Explorer does not show an external drive of any kind.

5.) All other USB ports are working fine.... plugging the dock into one of the 'older' USB ports doesn't work either. Other USB devices (thumb drives) work OK.

Thanks in advance for any help, it's really appreciated!

:)

kharrisma, Apr 14, 2019
  2. MrGSea Win User

Win10 doesn't recognize USB3.0 hard disk docks

I have a PC with three USB external drives (USB2.0/USB3.0) and two external hard disk docks (USB3.0); all are connected via one powered USB3.0 hub to the PC.

After upgrading to Win10, the self-enclosed USB external drives are recognized by the system. But the two USB3.0 docks are not recognized by the system. I've checked the manufacturers websites for any info about the docks and Win10; bot the docks are Win8
    compatible, and there are no drivers provided for either docks.

I've tried all standard tshoot steps (reboot, shutdown/restart, unplug USB hub, then reattach - with PC powered off and PC powered on; etc.) - all steps have failed.

Any ideas?

Thanks in advance -

MrGSea, Apr 14, 2019
  3. vallero Win User
    external hard drive not recognized

Hello zbook
    #1) I have tested the external drives in three different computers, win10 pro, Win10, and XP. The results are identical. When I plug in the external hard drive windows signals a new device with an audio signal and the light comes on on the external drive. The results on all three pc's is identical in disk manager, file explorer and device manager.
    #2) I have tried all solutions presented to me by FreeBooter, from the simplest solution of uninstalling the external drive in device manager and rebooting windows, to using the various third party software that was suggested, obviously with out success.
    #3) The attached screen shots will only show one of the drives attached because I don't have enough free USB ports to attach two drives and I didn't think it would have been a good idea to use a hub.
    #4) one strange thing about one of the drives is that now device manager lists it as a Toshiba drive although it is a Western Digital.
    #5) Sorry but I have no way of getting a photo of BIOS

File Explorer won't recognize the presence of my USB external hard drive dock. [​IMG]

File Explorer won't recognize the presence of my USB external hard drive dock. [​IMG]

I look forward to reading your comments

vallero, Apr 14, 2019
  4. ToddB Win User

USB 3.0 Seagate SATA External Hard Drive Not Recognized Win. 10

I recently purchased a Seagate Momentus 5400.6 hard drive and a Sabrent USB 3.0 SATA Hard Drive flat docking station to connect via usb to my Dell XPS L702x laptop. Upon putting the hard drive in the external enclosure and connecting to my laptop via usb my computer is not recognizing this external hard drive in disk management. I can see it in device manager and it is listed as "Jmicron SCSI Disk Device". I can also see it in devices and printer listed as "Jmicron". However it is not recognized or listed in disk management and file explorer. I am a novice when it comes to hardware issues as I am more of a software guy but I have tried everything I can find on the net to no avail. ie uninstalling and installing the drivers, using seagate utilities (I cannot also see it in Seagates applications), disabling fast startup, windows devices and printers troubleshooting, etc. I suspect (maybe incorrectly) that this device is showing up as "Jmicron SCSI disk device" instead of a SATA drive but that is coming from someone who again does not know alot about the device/hardware side. I would like to make this external drive a full backup for my windows 10 laptop and any assistance that could be provided would be GREATLY appreciated. Thanks for any help you may be!

ToddB, Apr 14, 2019
Thema:

1. File Explorer won't recognize the presence of my USB external hard drive dock. - Similar Threads - File Explorer won't

2. Windows 10 Won't Recognize External Hard Drives

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Windows 10 Won't Recognize External Hard Drives: We have just purchased a desktop unit and a touchscreen laptop with Windows 10. I tried to plug in external hard drives I had on the old computers but they are not recognized by the new computers. Both of the computers have received all Windows Updates. I have downloaded the...
  3. Bitlocker not recognizing Seagate external USB hard drive

Bitlocker not recognizing Seagate external USB hard drive: I am having no luck in trying to figure out why the Microsoft Windows Bitlocker Drive Encryption app will not recognize a new Seagate external USB hard drive. I have other external drives Toshiba, HP and have had no problems with them. When I bring up the Bitlocker control...
  4. Windows 10 hates my external usb dock hard drive.

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Windows 10 hates my external usb dock hard drive.: Long story short: In 2018 I Installed Windows 10 on an internal HD, and the system had an external USB dock with a 4TB drive attached. After 2 days of use, Windows 10 decided to helpfully 'repair' the 4TB drive. Forcing me to buy a 8TB drive to clone the 4TB drive, then...
  5. External Hard drive Not recognized

External Hard drive Not recognized: The device I am trying to install is an external hard drive I purchased from thee MAC store Backup Plus Portable Drive. I have tried all three methods stated above and non of them worked for me. In particular in regards to method 3 I have downloaded and installed the...
  6. USB port only recognizes external hard drive.

USB port only recognizes external hard drive.: One of my usb ports only recognizes 1 external hard drive. The hard drive is powered by the usb port and works in every other port. The usb port fails to recognize any other device I plug in The last USB device you connect malfunctioned. The port does however still charge...
  7. Front USB not recognizing my external hard drive

Front USB not recognizing my external hard drive: For some unknown reason, both of my front USB 3.0 ports stopped recognizing my WD My Passport external hard drive. What's even more bizarre is that it works when plugged into my USB port on the back of my PC. I connected a card reader to both of my front USB ports to make...
  8. external hard drive not recognized

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    external hard drive not recognized: I had storage spaces From windows 8.1 that computer went down I moved Storage spaces to another computer. windows 10 machine. Everything works. I was able to Copy those files to another drives. now I want to reuse those drives but only let me rename it not to remove. I...
  9. USB not recognizing external hard drive

USB not recognizing external hard drive: Brand new laptop does not give connecting sound when usb drive is plugged in. Drive works on older computer and usb port on new computer works with other peripherals. Restarted with drive already plugged in and there was no new hardware found. Device Manager shows no...
  10. Windows Explore not recognizing External Hard Drive

Windows Explore not recognizing External Hard Drive: So my old computer broke a while back. I've successfully accessed this hard drive before on both of my other computers (Surface 3 and hp pavilion). Today I wanted to see if I had anymore data left that I wanted to move from the drive. I use a sata drive adapter (same one I've...

Users found this page by searching for:

1. w10 does not reconize second usb sata backup drive

2. File Explorer doesnt reconize USB Drives

3. file explorer sees hdd but hdd dock does not

4. file explorer not recognizing hard drive dock,
  5. linux doesnt see external hard drive dock