Windows 10: File Explorer

Discus and support File Explorer in Windows 10 Customization to solve the problem; When I close a file in File Explorer I would like it to go back to the folder level and not just close the app as it does now. How can I change this?... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Customization' started by ThomB53, Jun 10, 2019.

1. ThomB53 Win User

File Explorer

When I close a file in File Explorer I would like it to go back to the folder level and not just close the app as it does now. How can I change this?

:)

ThomB53, Jun 10, 2019
  2. Ralph Sta Win User

File explorer icon from taskbar dissappears while working on it

Hi,

To assist you with your concern, we suggest you pin the File Explorer from the Start Menu by following these steps:

• Click the Start Menu.
    • Right-click File Explorer.
    • Choose Pin to taskbar.

If you need further assistance, feel free to reply to this post.

Ralph Sta, Jun 10, 2019
  3. Paolo Mag Win User
    "This file can't be previewed" problem in explorer

Hi Deborah,

For us to provide an accurate resolution, kindly elaborate the issue by answering the questions listed below:

• Since when have you been experiencing this issue?
    • Were there any changes on your PC before this happened like software or updates installed?

For initial troubleshooting, we suggest that you follow the steps listed below:

• Open File Explorer.
    • Access this link

C:\Users\USERNAME\AppData\Local\Microsoft\Windows\Explorer
    • Delete all the files.
    • After deleting the files kindly try and see if there's a thumbnail preview of your files.

We're looking forward to your response.

Paolo Mag, Jun 10, 2019
  4. File Explorer

File explorer

Hi Mick,

I am sorry to know that the File Explorer is not working on the Taskbar.

I suggest you to right-click on it to unpin it from the task bar.

Then search for File Explorer in Search. Then right-click on it to Pin it to Taskbar.

If the issue persists, try the steps below.

• Type CMD in Search. Right click on it to run as an administrator.

• Type the following 4 commands at the Command prompt:
    dism /online /cleanup-image /restorehealth

sfc /scannow

powershell

Get-AppXPackage -AllUsers |Where-Object {$_.InstallLocation -like "*SystemApps*"} | Foreach {Add-AppxPackage -DisableDevelopmentMode -Register "$($_.InstallLocation)\AppXManifest.xml"}

• Close the CMD window.

• Check to see if the issue is resolved. If not, restart the PC.
    Hope this helps in resolving the issue. If the issue persists, do get back to us. We will be happy to assist you.

Kalpana Shankarappa, Jun 10, 2019
Thema:

File Explorer

1. File Explorer - Similar Threads - File Explorer

2. File Explorer Crashes While Hovering Over The "New" Option

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    File Explorer Crashes While Hovering Over The "New" Option: Whenever I right-click inside a folder and mouse over the "New" option, even for just a moment, File Explorer freezes immediately, and I am forced to restart the program. I am using Microsoft Windows 10 Home, Version 10.0.17763. I use an Alienware 13 R3 with an Intel(R)...
  3. Why can't I open the file explorer?

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Why can't I open the file explorer?: I cannot open the file explorer. Whenever I click it, the screen just blinks then goes back to the same screen. https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/why-cant-i-open-the-file-explorer/ba99c094-eb8a-4ac4-a22d-cde159e6d768"
  4. File Explorer Downloads Folder

File Explorer Downloads Folder: After the 1903 update, the Download's folder in File Explorer is now showing a history of downloads, e.g., notice that Downloads is showing a download from "Last week (1)". How can I stop this folder from keeping track of downloads and have it behave as all the other system...
  5. Windows 10 1803 - File explorer path limit 260

Windows 10 1803 - File explorer path limit 260: Hello! Would there be a way to increase the length that file explorer to display more than 260 length path. I have changed the registry to do MAX File Path, but I cannot get file explorer to let me add folders past this limit....
  6. File Explorer doesn't show thumbnails for photo files such as JPEGs, TIFFs, or others?

File Explorer doesn't show thumbnails for photo files such as JPEGs, TIFFs, or others?: When I open File Explorer instead of showing a thumbnail of the picture it shows an icon representing the picture file. This is rather recent and I suspect another "new and improved" update. I remove the last update but that didn't help. Also, this same thing happens on mu...
  7. Can't open multiple files from Explorer in non-default apps

Can't open multiple files from Explorer in non-default apps: I've associated local files with the extension .html to open from Explorer in Firefox, but as I also edit those files, I use the pull down menu in the Quick Access Bar to select alternate apps to open those files with. This works well when trying to open a single file:...
  8. Scroll bar jumps back to the top in file explorer when trying to scroll down and I'm only...

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Scroll bar jumps back to the top in file explorer when trying to scroll down and I'm only...: Mouse not letting me click anything other than the top folder or file in file explorer and when I try to scroll down using mouse wheel or by dragging the scroll bar it scrolls back to top instantly. I clean installed windows twice and tried using an external mouse after...
  9. transfer photos to File Explorer

transfer photos to File Explorer: On Windows 10. I can't figure out how to transfer photos from Google Photos account to File Explorer so I can add photos to a Craigslist sale posting. Don't seem to be able to add the photos directly from Google Photos....
  10. Search Box Missing from File Explorer through 3 Insider Updates

in Windows 10 Support
    Search Box Missing from File Explorer through 3 Insider Updates: I'm frustrated... It's been 3 Windows Updates since I had a search box in File Explorer... and more annoying is that every time I do a search (knowing I'm not the only one with this issue) i come across an endless stream of "help articles" that claim to have the solution......