Windows 10: File finder: old laptop harddrive in caddy (8.1) plugged in Win 10

Discus and support File finder: old laptop harddrive in caddy (8.1) plugged in Win 10 in Windows 10 Support to solve the problem; Hi there, My old Win 8.1 laptop is kaput, but thankfully the harddrive shows up fine in a caddy plugged into the new Win 10 laptop. My problem: I... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Support' started by darrenhull, Dec 8, 2017.

1. File finder: old laptop harddrive in caddy (8.1) plugged in Win 10

Hi there,

My old Win 8.1 laptop is kaput, but thankfully the harddrive shows up fine in a caddy plugged into the new Win 10 laptop. My problem: I can't find my files. There was a folder on the old laptop's desktop that had most of my junk in, but where that is now on the old harddrive is a mystery.

There's not much showing up in the old harddrive's admin/users folders.

Thanks in advance,
    Darren.

:)

darrenhull, Dec 8, 2017

2. Adding Hardware In Laptop ASUS a43T

Hello,

I Need with my laptop using win 10/64

1. My Laptop using win 8.1/64 pro SSD in Primary and Drive Caddy with 500Gb replace the CDROM Drive the original . Works Well..

2. Download, Process, and Upgrade to Win 10/64 without Drive Caddy. Nothing problem

3. After Finish All Win 10 upgrade and Start using Win 10/64 Pro.

4. Now I inserted My Drive Caddy, WINDOWS CANNOT AUTOMATICALLY SEARCHING and INSTALLING FOR NEW HARDWARE

Nah, the problem is How Can I Install This Device (My Caddy Drive) like win 8.1 ?

5. Windows Is work Well, and all USB Flash Drive media storage can Read like usually New Hardware.

I am Using ASUS A43TA / K43TA AMD llano A6.

MYusufRahmadani, Dec 8, 2017
  3. Lost access to HDD on upgrade to win10

Hi Karla,

Thank you for your reply. I did put the caddy in another laptop, booted WIN10 installation disk and guess what? It worked!

So I changed some settings in my Asus's Bios, putting my harddrives in IDE (instead of AHCI) mode, Windows 10 installer in MBR partitioning for BIOS / UEFI mode (using Rufus, since I don't really want to use several dvd disks) and bingo! Windows 10 could
    see both disks just fine. Odd, since I swear I've tried that before...

I will play a bit more with my settings and installation types to get Windows working with AHCI disks. In the mean time, does anyone know what causes Win 10 to incorrectly read the second disk? IDE is more compatible, I know, but why would Win 8.1 read these
    disks in AHCI mode just fine then?

b689739a-10e0-4f07-a4a9-6101b20d1cfb, Dec 8, 2017
  4. File finder: old laptop harddrive in caddy (8.1) plugged in Win 10

Hi darrenhull. Welcome to the TenForums @darrenhull

Two quick things. Check that you are displaying hidden files in File Manager. User files aren't normally hidden but ....

Next open up disk management and have a look at the HDD. Is there a large partition that does not have a drive letter. Some devices came with HDD split into c: and d: drive and data was kept on d:.

If there is a large partition, Like 50GB or more, try assigning a drive letter and see what is on it.

Ken

Caledon Ken, Dec 8, 2017
  5. Cheers, Ken.

Am still setting up the laptop, obviously, but hidden folders is on my list. Expect to see more of me having eschewed Win 10 since its launch *Wink -- early versions didn't like Adobe.

darrenhull, Dec 8, 2017
  6. dalchina New Member
    Try using a fast search tool like Everything by Void Tools (or Ultrasearch or Locate32) if you want to try find-as-you-type searches with reg ex format.

Also bear in mind there may be some damage - the disk or partitions or file system- if you've not checked, depending on e.g. the age and history of the disk.

dalchina, Dec 8, 2017
  7. spunk Win User
    Browse to C:\Users you should have an Administrators folder, and you should also have your old User name folder. Open this up and you should see the Desktop as well as other user folders. (ie) Pictures, Music, Documents etc

spunk, Dec 9, 2017
  8. File finder: old laptop harddrive in caddy (8.1) plugged in Win 10

Found them!

For anyone else with a similar problem, and looking for folders that were on their old laptop desktop:

-Turn on 'show hidden folders'. I think this helped. I found my media in a non-hidden folder, but when I initially searched the folder with hidden folders turn off, there was nothing in it whatsoever (right-click properties said 0kb), but with hidden folders on, the folder displayed a mixture of hidden and non-hidden files

- Location was G: (caddy drive) > Users > [my username] > Desktop > [folder name]

Hurrah!

Being new to Win 10, any tips and tricks appreciated, especially ones that speed it up and disable any non-essential animations, pop-ups, novelty stuff.

darrenhull, Apr 5, 2018
Thema:

File finder: old laptop harddrive in caddy (8.1) plugged in Win 10

1. File finder: old laptop harddrive in caddy (8.1) plugged in Win 10 - Similar Threads - File finder old

2. Power Supply plug for Harddrive?

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Power Supply plug for Harddrive?: Hello, I got a Xigmatek Elysium case and a rx-530ss power supply. I recently got a new SSD and wanted to install it together with my 1tb HDD, but there is only one power cable, though it splits into another one backwards.I was wondering if its safe to use this cable together....
  3. Power Supply plug for Harddrive?

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Power Supply plug for Harddrive?: Hello, I got a Xigmatek Elysium case and a rx-530ss power supply. I recently got a new SSD and wanted to install it together with my 1tb HDD, but there is only one power cable, though it splits into another one backwards.I was wondering if its safe to use this cable together....
  4. Power Supply plug for Harddrive?

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
  5. Recover an old Harddrive with Windows 10

Recover an old Harddrive with Windows 10: Hello there!I hope you can help me for I didn't find a discussion with the same problem as mine.The situation: Some days ago my Laptop 4-5 years old Acer 5 Nitro Black Edition died. The reason seems to be a broken main-board. So I bought a new Laptop, also an Acer 5 Nitro. I...
  6. duplicate file finder

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    duplicate file finder: is there any duplicate file finder app launched by microsoft https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/duplicate-file-finder/cdaef771-df42-4bf9-b75a-3da9b81b86b6
  7. Duplicate file finder

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Duplicate file finder: Does anybody have any recommendations? I would like to clean up my PC; it has many duplicates as a result of crashes and restores. Thanks in advance! https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/duplicate-file-finder/6bc56620-8dd7-4854-8786-58d4acde6cf9
  8. Windows 10 Will not Boot on my SSD unless the old Harddrive is plugged it.

Windows 10 Will not Boot on my SSD unless the old Harddrive is plugged it.: So, I fresh installed Win 10 last night on to a new SSD Everything was peachy. This morning I turned on my computer to a window error unable to boot. I checked Bios settings, Priority is set to try booting from the new Install on the SSD first. Other drives 2nd 3rd and...
  9. Win 10 laptop plugged in, not charging

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Win 10 laptop plugged in, not charging: Hi all, apologies if this topic is discussed somewhere else, but I could not find it. I have seen similar topic from 2017, bit it was already closed by the admins. Anyway, the problem is that my laptop (HP Pavilion 15 ab000 series) completely out of blue around 3 weeks ago...
  10. Duplicate Pictures/Files finder

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Duplicate Pictures/Files finder: Hi, Can anybody recommend a Free Duplicate Pictures/Files finder for Windows.....? I have read reviews for some products, but they all contradict each other, very confusing. Thanks, -BBDS 57253