Windows 10: File/folder owner shows incorrectly, how possible?

Discus and support File/folder owner shows incorrectly, how possible? in Windows 10 Support to solve the problem; I have a bunch of files/folders. I go to folder properties, tab Security, Advanced, at the top it says Owner. In this case it says Administrators... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Support' started by jimhoyle, May 16, 2020.

1. jimhoyle Win User

File/folder owner shows incorrectly, how possible?

I have a bunch of files/folders. I go to folder properties, tab Security, Advanced, at the top it says Owner. In this case it says Administrators (COMPUTERNAME\Administrators). I go to explorer to see the same folder listed. I right-click on the top bar, More, in Details there is [x] Owner. When that's ticked, the explorer listing will show owner. And in this case, now the Owner for the exact same folder is COMPUTERNAME\MyUserName.

How is that possible? Windows claims the owner is different, depending which of the two places I look. (This is Win10 1909 build 18363.836.)

:)

jimhoyle, May 16, 2020
  2. Brink Win User

Add or Remove Folders from This PC in Windows 10  

Without changing the owner and permissions of the keys in steps 1 and 2, the .reg files will not be able to fully merge, and those keys will not be changed. Those keys are responsible for the folders showing in the navigation pane if you open the folder pinned to Quick access or Start list.

Brink, May 16, 2020
  3. Folder and file access

Hi,

You may take the ownership of the folder and then use the steps to grant permission to everyone–

Locate the file or folder on which you want to take ownership in windows explorer

Right click on file or folder and select “Properties” from Context Menu

Click on Security tab

Click on “Advance”

Now click on Owner tab in Advance Security Settings for User windows

Click on Edit Button and select user from given Change Owner to list if user or group is not in given list then click on other users or groups. Enter name of user/group and click ok.

Now select User/group and click apply and ok. (Check “Replace owner on subcontainers and objects” if you have files and folder within selected folder)

Click ok when Windows Security Prompt is displayed

Now Owner name must have changed.

Now click Ok to exist from Properties windows

Once you have taken the ownership of file or folder

Grant Permissions to everyone-

Go to C:\Users\ and then click right click on folder "Your user name" and chooseproperties.

Then go to security tab and click Edit then clickAdd => Advanced.

If you click on advanced now click on Find Now and chooseEveryone and click Ok.

Then again click Ok and now click onAllow => Full control => Ok.

If the issue persists, I would suggest you to create a new use account with administrator rights and then try to perform the changes and check if the steps work for you -

http://windows.microsoft.com/en-us/Windows7/Cre...

DISCLAIMER: Affecting system settings incorrectly can cause serious problems that may prevent your computer from booting properly or may result in loss of data. Microsoft cannot guarantee that any problems resulting from the configuration of ownership settings
    can be solved. Modifications of the settings are at your own risk.

THANK YOU

vanshitavanshita, May 16, 2020
  4. dark2099 Win User

Generating a .txt based file list in Windows 7

I want to be able to generate a .txt file that lists all the files and folders in a specific folder on my PC, but don't know the name of any programs that do that. Searched on google a bit and came up with this guide, but it's for XP and I can't seem to find some of the folder options to modify the .bat file. Any suggestions? Thanks

http://www.theeldergeek.com/file_list_generator.htm

EDIT: The .bat file will do what I want if it is in the folder I want to do it in, but the option I want to add is having the right click option that it shows.

dark2099, May 16, 2020
Thema:

1. File/folder owner shows incorrectly, how possible? - Similar Threads - File folder owner

2. Cannot change owner of folder

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Cannot change owner of folder: Hi, when I try to enter the Windows Defender Scan folder it says I have been denied access to the folder despite being an administrator. When I try to change who the owner of the folder is in the security tab, It doesn't even give me the option to click on it to try and...
  3. Cannot change owner of folder

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Cannot change owner of folder: Hi, when I try to enter the Windows Defender Scan folder it says I have been denied access to the folder despite being an administrator. When I try to change who the owner of the folder is in the security tab, It doesn't even give me the option to click on it to try and...
  4. is it possible to move a file to the application folder?

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    is it possible to move a file to the application folder?: I've been looking for hours on how to put a file into the applications folder does anyone know how? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/is-it-possible-to-move-a-file-to-the-application/6d30e2f4-eea0-4d93-a820-fe2d6640374b
  5. is it possible to move a file to the application folder?

in Windows 10 Gaming
    is it possible to move a file to the application folder?: I've been looking for hours on how to put a file into the applications folder does anyone know how? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/is-it-possible-to-move-a-file-to-the-application/6d30e2f4-eea0-4d93-a820-fe2d6640374b
  6. possible to show folder SIZE in details view?

in Windows 10 Support
    possible to show folder SIZE in details view?: Feels crazy that this doesn't happen automatically, but it doesn't seem to in ANY version of windows. When I look at the details view, the size column is empty for folders. Of course if I right click the folder and choose "properties", a dialog box will show me the total of...
  7. File/folder owner shows incorrectly, how possible?

in User Accounts and Family Safety
    File/folder owner shows incorrectly, how possible?: I have a bunch of files/folders. I go to folder properties, tab Security, Advanced, at the top it says Owner. In this case it says Administrators (COMPUTERNAME\Administrators). I go to explorer to see the same folder listed. I right-click on the top bar, More, in Details...
  8. Properties of Onedrive folder shows incorrect size

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Properties of Onedrive folder shows incorrect size: My onedrive folder 91gb. I completely synced it on disk D. When I try to check size of onedrive folder - it shows only 37gb! Hovewer, used space on disk D is 91gb. How can I be sure that onedrive works well and all of my files on my disk? Thanks [ATTACH]...
  9. Is it Possible to Show folder size too in explorer

in Windows 10 Support
    Is it Possible to Show folder size too in explorer: hi, i am using windows 10 and i want to show folder size too in explorer [img] 107059
  10. Odd owner folder name

in Windows 10 Support
    Odd owner folder name: Hello, After having installed win 10, windows has chosen w/o consulting me a concatenation of my 1st name and few characters of my last name as my folder name (the one in c:\users\). Can I change it back to my first name or <first>space<last> or anything sensible? Thank...