Windows 10: File/Folder permissions preventing app launch?

Discus and support File/Folder permissions preventing app launch? in Windows 10 Network and Sharing to solve the problem; In trying to start Adobe After Effects, "After Effects can’t continue: Standard 3D module is missing." appears after "Cleaning Up" disappears from the... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Network and Sharing' started by StephenWA, May 20, 2019.

1. StephenWA Win User

File/Folder permissions preventing app launch?

In trying to start Adobe After Effects, "After Effects can’t continue: Standard 3D module is missing." appears after "Cleaning Up" disappears from the splash screen. After clicking Ok on the error, the splash screen goes away and I get this dialog box: "After Effects can't continue: unexpected failure during application startup”. No Adobe crash log is generated.

The problem appears to be permissions. If I sign into Windows 10 on a local Administrator account, After Effects opens and works. If I sign into Windows 10 on my user account (a Microsoft account with Administrator privileges), I get the error every single time... even if I try to run After Effects as an administrator while under my user account.

I have tried re-installing After Effects.

In reading up on fixing permissions, I noticed what could be a “Inherited from” discrepancy between my user account (my Microsoft account, an Administrator account... the account that I use to install anything on my laptop) and my test account (a local Administrator account... where After Effects works).

File/Folder permissions preventing app launch? T3VX3YYH4yVu04FvgGqnSiibH0Fxh92CuuxPHZp_fU7rasVNzBfc6yJm2GEv-tc-UFs0Wu7c2H3V3N6-s0owR-kbA-uVGGDO.png

File/Folder permissions preventing app launch? s0C1ptqZxwChl8-OoeQy89mZREWs8mc_0lrHoATMvJ8r5wy0lQotWEasn4UPH9il4Y9hBELT1dfreRnFtuwqNmZMQpLRT4NR.png

The thing is I don't know if this is something that should be fixed, and if so, how to fix it.

Here's my After Effects program folder...

File/Folder permissions preventing app launch? BiXSLGQxG_mfXDAIbZpwawpGg0bFQBvle_IiZFZqpUuYe3i74AQpLbGAxYyeWMqhwY-lWFwI65tJRurR-V_c2uPb3bHEuP7g.png

So far I haven't made any changes to these screens since I am not fully comprehending how or if to make changes.

I’m running Windows 10 v1803 build 17134.766

Can anyone help?

:)

StephenWA, May 20, 2019
  2. Frogger Win User

?? How do I PW protect Folders in windows

hmmm?
    Sharing files and folders overview You can share the files and folders stored on your computer, on a network, and on the Web. The method you choose depends on whom you want to share files with, and what computer they will use to access the files.

When you share files or folders, they are not as protected as they are when you do not share them. People with access to your computer or your network might be able to read, copy, or change files that are in a shared folder. You should always be aware that the files and folders that you share are available to other people and be sure to monitor your shared files and folders on a regular basis.

Important

If your computer is not joined to a domain, you can use the Network Setup Wizard to automatically turn file and printer sharing on or off. To start the Network Setup Wizard, click Start, click Control Panel, click Network and Internet Connections, and then click Network Setup Wizard.
    If you both use the same computer

You can put the files you want to share in the Shared Documents folder. Files stored in the Shared Documents folder or its subfolders are always available to other users on your computer.

Step-by-step procedure
    Note

If you are connected to a network domain, the Shared Documents, Shared Pictures, and Shared Music folders are not available.
    If both computers are on the same network

You can share a folder or drive on your computer with others on the network. You can also control whether the files in the shared folder can be modified by other users.

If your computer is connected to a network domain, use this procedure:

Step-by-step procedure
    If your computer is connected to a workgroup, use this procedure:

Step-by-step procedure
    Note

If you are connected to a network domain, you will need to set the Access control for the folder or drive after sharing it. For more information, go to To set, view, change, or remove file and folder permissions.
    If you want to share your files online

You can publish pictures and documents on the Web using the Web Publishing Wizard. The files will be stored in a private, online folder that you manage.

Step-by-step procedure

If you don't want others to access your files

You can prevent other users from accessing your folders and the files they contain. When your computer is connected to a domain, this is called setting permissions for your file or folder. When your computer is connected to a workgroup, this is called making your folders private.

If your computer is connected to a network domain, use this procedure:

Step-by-step procedure
    If your computer is connected to a workgroup, use this procedure:

Step-by-step procedure

'HELP' it can be your friend *Smile File/Folder permissions preventing app launch? :)

Frogger, May 20, 2019
  3. Folder won't open due to permission issue

Hello,

Thank you for posting your query on Microsoft community. I understand your concern. Let me help you.

I suggest you to sign out from the current account, restart the computer and log in with Administrators account and

check if it helps to resolve the issue.

I suggest you to refer to the steps below and check if it helps to resolve the issue.

• Press and hold or right-click the file or folder, and then click
      Properties.

• Tap or click the Security tab.

• Under Group or user names, tap or click your name to see the permissions that you have.

To open a file, you have to have the Read permission. To change the permissions of a file or folder, follow these steps.

Important you must be logged on as an administrator to change permissions on files and folders.

• Press and hold or right-click the file or folder, and then tap or click
      Properties.

• Tap or click the Security tab.

• Under Group or user names, tap or click your name to see the permissions that you have.

• Tap or click Edit, tap or click your name, select the check boxes for the permissions that you must have, and then click
      OK.

Hope this helps. If the issue remains unresolved, please get back to us with more information and we’d be happy to help.

Rajeshwari_Patil, May 20, 2019
  4. File/Folder permissions preventing app launch?

Folder and File default permissions

Hi Hilton,

When you changed folder permissions, all of its contents will also be affected. If you want to change permission on certain sub-folders, it is recommended to separate it up to one level and change only specific file or folder permissions which are
    applicable to you.

To allow opening or modifying files, follow the steps below:

• Right-click a folder or file, then click Properties.
    • Click the Security tab.
    • Click Edit…
    • Tick Allow or Deny, to manage permissions for your folder.
    • Click OK to finish.

File/Folder permissions preventing app launch? 7e509f86-c947-4d23-9d23-817128c849f5?upload=true.png

Let us know if this resolve your concerns.

Johann Eva, May 20, 2019
Thema:

File/Folder permissions preventing app launch?

1. File/Folder permissions preventing app launch? - Similar Threads - File Folder permissions

2. File and folder sharing permission.

in Windows 10 Gaming
    File and folder sharing permission.: I have a computer network LAN, and I want the computers across my network to have different permission level access to my shared files, what should I do? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/file-and-folder-sharing-permission/3642e982-0e8f-4f87-ac6d-54258b8b1ae7
  3. File and folder sharing permission.

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    File and folder sharing permission.: I have a computer network LAN, and I want the computers across my network to have different permission level access to my shared files, what should I do? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/file-and-folder-sharing-permission/3642e982-0e8f-4f87-ac6d-54258b8b1ae7
  4. Can't launch Windows apps after editing permissions for windowsapps folder in attempt to...

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Can't launch Windows apps after editing permissions for windowsapps folder in attempt to...: My controller was not working for a game I installed with game pass which I have with a different Microsoft account than this one for privacy concerns. From past experience with issues with my controller, I figured launching the Xbox app and the game as administrator might...
  5. Can't launch Windows apps after editing permissions for windowsapps folder in attempt to...

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Can't launch Windows apps after editing permissions for windowsapps folder in attempt to...: My controller was not working for a game I installed with game pass which I have with a different Microsoft account than this one for privacy concerns. From past experience with issues with my controller, I figured launching the Xbox app and the game as administrator might...
  6. How to Prevent launching apps associated with file or URI scheme

in Windows 10 News
    How to Prevent launching apps associated with file or URI scheme: [ATTACH]If you do not want to use the default app to be launched when […] This article How to Prevent launching apps associated with file or URI scheme first appeared on TheWindowsClub.com. read more...
  7. File & Folder permissions

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    File & Folder permissions: I have downloaded a game Forza Horizons from the Microsoft store. while trying to find the location of the exe to add to my Dragon Centre app i have unintentionally moved the exe to my desktop. when trying to move it back to the original location it gives me an error...
  8. Permissions on Apps and Folders

in Windows 10 Customization
    Permissions on Apps and Folders: Hi i recently got my xbox game pass , and i must say im really enjoying it , until I decided to try a new game in this case Dirt Rally 2 and to realize I cant Open it , this is all i get, i cant do much , can't change permissions nor give new ones , don't know if its relevant...
  9. Files and Folders Permissions Inherited

Files and Folders Permissions Inherited: So with windows 7, if i had an external drive D:\ with read and execute only permissions for user X, and these permission were inherited from the drive D:\ if user X opened the drive, selected a folder on the drive and right clicked, there would be a UAC symbol by DELETE,...
  10. Permission to delete file and folder

Permission to delete file and folder: [IMG]i want to delete an app from my laptop but it requires permission from system and administrator but I can't do it. Please tell me how to do it? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/permission-to-delete-file-and-folder/3d51b993-bd01-4440-8d32-ac348254491d"

Users found this page by searching for:

1. standard 3d module missing?

2. shared 3d module is missing

3. standard 3d module is missing

4. Standard 3D module is missing After Effects