Windows 10: File folder search function no longer works

Discus and support File folder search function no longer works in Windows 10 Support to solve the problem; As I was looking for files it suddenly stopped being able to find files. I have attached a few screenshots to show how it does not find anything; for... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Support' started by brownm, Sep 24, 2019.

1. brownm Win User

File folder search function no longer works

As I was looking for files it suddenly stopped being able to find files.
    I have attached a few screenshots to show how it does not find anything; for example "OV" or with ".pdf".
    I have tried every of the following suggestions from the following website:
    Fix File Explorer Search Not Working in Windows 10 - Troubleshooter

:)

brownm, Sep 24, 2019
  2. dalchina Win User

Welcome to tenforums.

I understand you have done everything in that linked document including an in-place upgrade repair install (which would have required downloading an iso file of the same build, or equivalent).

Please post a sreenshot similar to this showing that that folder is included in the index and indexing is complete.

File folder search function no longer works [​IMG]

Now please add one file to that folder that should be indexed, and post a screenshot showing the number of indexed items has incremented.

This will show whether search indexing is active.

Now try searching for that file and post a screenshot showing the result, including the search string used.

The icons are unfamiliar to me- a cloud superimposed- could you explain what those are? Suggests you may be looking at folders via a cloud storage service.

Further, I think your search string should be *VO
    Example:

Thanks.

dalchina, Sep 24, 2019
  3. brownm Win User

I did not really understand what I should do here. I have MANY folders so not sure where to add which one.

Yes they are using: Box

Didn't make a difference

brownm, Sep 24, 2019
  4. brownm Win User

I put the file from my personal drive--> documents saved on my own laptop. and moved them into the Box. by adding the number indexed actually went down.
    So the index only shows items on my own laptop?

brownm, Sep 24, 2019
Thema:

1. File folder search function no longer works - Similar Threads - File folder search

2. Search function not working

in Cortana
    Search function not working: Today my search function stopped working. When i try to type something in the search bar, it just crashes - same thing when i try to look for something in the file explorer or just by pressing windows key and typing.I have tried to solve it for the past couple hours, tried...
  3. Search function not working

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Search function not working: Today my search function stopped working. When i try to type something in the search bar, it just crashes - same thing when i try to look for something in the file explorer or just by pressing windows key and typing.I have tried to solve it for the past couple hours, tried...
  4. Search function not working

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
  5. Search function in File Explorer is not working correctly

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Search function in File Explorer is not working correctly: step to reproduce: 1, in any folder, create a file named "ConfigurationManager.txt" 2, search "manager" 3, result is nothing how can I fix this?...
  6. Search function not working,...

in Cortana
    Search function not working,...: I only have 1 account on my PC and I realized that from some time ago the search function was unable to search settings or other windows functions, only files, and I did what the internet told me to do and navigated to...
  7. Search function not working in any folder

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Search function not working in any folder: Hey, I noticed a week ago or something like that when I was gonna search for a picture in one of my folders that the search function wasn't working as intended. I didn't think much of it then and decided to just find the picture by scrolling through a bit since I figured...
  8. Searching function not working

in Cortana
    Searching function not working: Hello, My PC is in Win10. While I would like to open an app e.g calculator, I push win key then type "Calculator" but the searching box doesn't show anything like it does before: [ATTACH] How to fix this?...
  9. Windows Explorer Search no longer functioning

in Cortana
    Windows Explorer Search no longer functioning: My windows search has stopped working. It cannot find any files. For example, if I go to C:\Temp and try to find a file called example.txt it cannot find the file nor any other file. If I go to Index Options, the dialog is blank and although it says waiting to receive...
  10. Search function not working

in Windows 10 Support
    Search function not working: Hello, When I type anything in the search, nothing shows up. really frustrating, what can I do to fix it? Thanks 28935