Windows 10: file/folder sort order

Discus and support file/folder sort order in Windows 10 Gaming to solve the problem; win 10 file explorer sort order by date is always folders first.i prefer order by date, regardless of folder, shortcut or file...OR folders last, by... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Gaming' started by GodZilla442, Mar 18, 2022.

1. file/folder sort order

win 10 file explorer sort order by date is always folders first.i prefer order by date, regardless of folder, shortcut or file...OR folders last, by datei think there is a date column select, then a secondary SHIFT column select... but.... i cant find it

:)

GodZilla442, Mar 18, 2022

2. - Retaining Sort Order in File Explorer:

Hi Richard,

Thank you for posting your query in Microsoft Community.

Let me assist you on your issue regarding Windows 10.

"it takes a LONG time for the software to rescan the folder and re-order", which software are you using to rescan and re-order the folder?

You may follow the below steps and check if it helps.

1. Open the drop box folder in file explorer which needs to be sorted.

2. Click on the view tab in the file ribbon.

3. Now select the sort by option.

4. Select the "date created" option and also select descending order.

5. By select these two options the most recent(new) files will be displayed in the top separated by most recent(new) folders.

Note: The above steps are for drop box folder only, if you want to sort the other folder similarly please follow the above steps.

Hope the information helps. Do reply if you need further assistance.

Thank you.

Deepak Kodi, Mar 18, 2022
  3. TracyFinn Win User
    File Explorer Sort Order

Question regarding sort order for File Explorer in Windows 10: The sort order changes with updates at times. My sort order preference is to show file folders alphabetically first and then files sorted either by date modified or alphabetically, depending
    on the search. What's the best way to set that as the default?

TracyFinn, Mar 18, 2022
  4. cereberus Win User

file/folder sort order

Sorting with File Explorer.

I tried the method that was complicated (3rd option) but fell over in second step as I could not find any "apply to folder button"'.

However, the simple put *.* in search bar, then sort results windows by date does the trick. It is slightly cumbersome as I have to do that each time I am selecting files (to upload to sharepoint) but a lot less hassle than I was having to scroll up and down between sorted file block and sorted folder block.

Many thanks.

M.

cereberus, Mar 18, 2022
Thema:

file/folder sort order

1. file/folder sort order - Similar Threads - file folder sort

2. Order sorting of folders in Pictures in File Explorer

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Order sorting of folders in Pictures in File Explorer: I have file explorer win 11. I have been downloading photos from IPhone to PC Win 11. When I do it, I save to a new folder say 2024-04-14. When open "Pictures" in File Explorer the folders are sorted by date numerically just as I would expect- but Pictures tab, at top left...
  3. Order sorting of folders in Pictures in File Explorer

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Order sorting of folders in Pictures in File Explorer: I have file explorer win 11. I have been downloading photos from IPhone to PC Win 11. When I do it, I save to a new folder say 2024-04-14. When open "Pictures" in File Explorer the folders are sorted by date numerically just as I would expect- but Pictures tab, at top left...
  4. How to get the list of all files in a folder sorted in the same order they are sorted in...

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    How to get the list of all files in a folder sorted in the same order they are sorted in...: When File Explorer opens a folder, it sorts all folders and files inside in an order according to the settings of that folder. How to get the list of all folders and files or at least of files only sorted in the same order? Not meaning just to look the list in the interface...
  5. How to get the list of all files in a folder sorted in the same order they are sorted in...

in Windows 10 Gaming
    How to get the list of all files in a folder sorted in the same order they are sorted in...: When File Explorer opens a folder, it sorts all folders and files inside in an order according to the settings of that folder. How to get the list of all folders and files or at least of files only sorted in the same order? Not meaning just to look the list in the interface...
  6. How to get the list of all files in a folder sorted in the same order they are sorted in...

7. file/folder sort order

file/folder sort order: win 10 file explorer sort order by date is always folders first.i prefer order by date, regardless of folder, shortcut or file...OR folders last, by datei think there is a date column select, then a secondary SHIFT column select... but.... i cant find it...
  8. file/folder sort order

file/folder sort order: win 10 file explorer sort order by date is always folders first.i prefer order by date, regardless of folder, shortcut or file...OR folders last, by datei think there is a date column select, then a secondary SHIFT column select... but.... i cant find it...
  9. File Explorer Sort Order

File Explorer Sort Order: Question regarding sort order for File Explorer in Windows 10: The sort order changes with updates at times. My sort order preference is to show file folders alphabetically first and then files sorted either by date modified or alphabetically, depending on the search. What's...
  10. Sorting files in Download folder in order of added time

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Sorting files in Download folder in order of added time: I have tried these and they don't work properly: date modified, date created, date acquired. Also I have reset grouping to None which didn't help. Windows 10 Home, 1909. submitted by /u/n0tsm4rt [link] [comments]...