Windows 10: File folder tree collapse issue after update

Discus and support File folder tree collapse issue after update in Windows 10 Support to solve the problem; I generally use a lot of sub folders when working with files, so normally have a file window open with a log of open file branches. It makes it easier... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Support' started by diagoro, May 5, 2016.

1. diagoro Win User

File folder tree collapse issue after update

I generally use a lot of sub folders when working with files, so normally have a file window open with a log of open file branches. It makes it easier to work among different file types, etc.

After the update to Windows 10 I've noticed an extremely frustrating change, one I couldn't find any answer (or existence) for online.

The folders are fine, but as soon as I plug in and remove either an external drive or flash drive, all the open file structures (in windows that weren't related to the removed drive) collapse. I end up having to reopen all the folder branches.

Anyone else get this???

As an example, this is before the drive is removed...

File folder tree collapse issue after update [​IMG]

and this if after, every single time (on all open file/windows explorer windows)

File folder tree collapse issue after update [​IMG]

Really appreciate any help!!!

:)

diagoro, May 5, 2016

2. File folder tree collapse issue after update

Couldn't replicate it here so probably it'll only be 'fixed' for you if/when you ever decide to reinstall the OS (preferably a clean install). Till then I suppose you'll just have to live with it.

RobertJWin, May 5, 2016
  3. File folder tree collapse issue after update

Nothing????? I've heard from several people with the same issue, so it can't be a simple matter of just being my system....

diagoro(2), May 5, 2016
  4. philc43 Win User

Hello diagoro,

I can confirm that I have the same behaviour on my W10. It is as if the Navigation pane gets refreshed and returns to a default layout. At the moment I do not have any suggestions for changing this behaviour. I tried changing a few settings in the Folder View options but it did not help.

philc43, May 5, 2016
  5. diagoro Win User
    I was wondering about that. Just had the thought, perhaps windows is opening the external drive on every open 'windows explorer' window, than collapsing them all when the drive is closed.

diagoro, May 5, 2016
  6. philc43 Win User
    That sounds very plausible!

philc43, Apr 4, 2018
Thema:

1. File folder tree collapse issue after update - Similar Threads - File folder tree

2. How to collapse OneDrive folder in File explorer

in Windows 10 Gaming
    How to collapse OneDrive folder in File explorer: When opening a new file explorer windows, the OneDrive folder on the left is always open. I want it to be collapsed by default. Is there a way to do it? It blocks my Quick Access folders. I hate it....
  3. How to collapse OneDrive folder in File explorer

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    How to collapse OneDrive folder in File explorer: When opening a new file explorer windows, the OneDrive folder on the left is always open. I want it to be collapsed by default. Is there a way to do it? It blocks my Quick Access folders. I hate it....
  4. Windows 11 File Explorer collapses navigation tree after drag and drop. How can I stop that?

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Windows 11 File Explorer collapses navigation tree after drag and drop. How can I stop that?: When I drag a file from, for example, the download folder into a folder in the folder tree navigation pane, the tree collapses, so I have to re-navigate to get back to the destination or drag another file.Any way around this?Thanks,Dave...
  5. Windows 11 File Explorer collapses navigation tree after drag and drop. How can I stop that?

Windows 11 File Explorer collapses navigation tree after drag and drop. How can I stop that?: When I drag a file from, for example, the download folder into a folder in the folder tree navigation pane, the tree collapses, so I have to re-navigate to get back to the destination or drag another file.Any way around this?Thanks,Dave...
  6. Folder Tree

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Folder Tree: I did it again. While trying to unhook from onedrive, I ended up with a Music icon on a new D drive folder with folders under it where they don't belong. https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/folder-tree/52e32790-a365-48cb-b079-99b63eae60fc
  7. Folder Tree

Folder Tree: I did it again. While trying to unhook from onedrive, I ended up with a Music icon on a new D drive folder with folders under it where they don't belong. https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/folder-tree/52e32790-a365-48cb-b079-99b63eae60fc
  8. Branching Tree in File Explorer Vanished After Update

in Windows 10 Support
    Branching Tree in File Explorer Vanished After Update: Windows 10 updated itself last night when I shut down my laptop, and now this morning in version 1909, the Windows File Explorer display is behaving differently. It used to show me a branching tree, like an outline, with folders, sub-folders, and sub-sub-folders, etc. all...
  9. file tree

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    file tree: Hello While working with back-up there has been encountered a lot of stress. Is there any ways and means to find a simple basic explanation how windows does display the files in the Graphical User Interface . Thank you....
  10. After Update , Folder/File Rename issue

in Windows 10 Support
    After Update , Folder/File Rename issue: Hello, My windows 10 just got an update for v1709, after that, Got an issue , Rename folder/file command is not working in any drive (HDD also USB) , but on desktop/userfolder its working fine. i searched google but got no solutions regarding this, everyone is asking...