Windows 10: file forensics: any way to recover moved file?

Discus and support file forensics: any way to recover moved file? in Windows 10 Support to solve the problem; Last night I moved--not copied--a file from my Dell Latitude Win 10 laptop's SSD to a thumb drive. To be precise, I think that I clicked on the file... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Support' started by up2trix, Jul 9, 2018.

1. up2trix Win User

file forensics: any way to recover moved file?

Last night I moved--not copied--a file from my Dell Latitude Win 10 laptop's SSD to a thumb drive.

To be precise, I think that I clicked on the file in Windows Explorer in the laptop, then cut it via ctrl-x, and then pasted it onto the flash drive with ctrl-v.

I then safely ejected the thumb drive (I always do this), took it to my desktop, and to my horror found that the file was not on the thumb drive.

Because I moved, not copied, the file, it was no longer in its original location on the laptop. It also is not in the laptop's Recycle Bin.

My question: is the file still in some other location on the laptop, from which I can recover it?

Or, when you move a file like this, does Windows immediately permanently delete it?

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Some more details follow, if you are interested.

The thumb drive is a Visiontek PRO 256 GB USB 3 drive.

I do NOT have this problem with this thumb drive on my Dell T1700 Win 7 workstation.

However, this is the second Dell laptop that I have seen this drive have this same problem with. My original laptop, a Dell Precision Win 7 machine would sometimes do this; that one got stolen in Rotterdam a month ago. The current laptop is a Dell Latitude Win 10 box.

For some reason, there is a bad interaction between Dell laptops and this particular thumb drive. I tested another, cheaper, thumb drive on the Dell laptop and it worked fine.

:)

up2trix, Jul 9, 2018
  2. Macazine Win User

Recover files from Flash drive

According to me, the best flash drive recovery software which i have used and recovered files easily. It is very easy to use and within few steps you can recover data from flash drive. Recover Corrupt Flash Drive Mac | | Bill Hoyer Systems

Macazine, Jul 9, 2018
  3. Computer Forensics

There are tons of free software options you can get to start learning about Forensics. I actually just finished up my Masters in Information Security and Assurance and concentrated on Forensics and Ethical Hacking (something I have changed my mind to and want to get in the career field of) and OSF Forensics is pretty cool, TrueCrypt (yes) Wireshark, and others. I have a ton of links on IE 10 that I saved and I believe I have a list of links my professors gave me for forensics tools. There are free labs out there as well. Books can help you understand the programs and run steps with software to get the hang of it. However you will need to branch out and do things with the software (especially with Cell phones, that is so cool, lol) and read things from Ram, deleted files on a HDD ,etc.

WarEagleAU, Jul 9, 2018
  4. DRDNA Win User

DRDNA, Jul 9, 2018
  5. Adin New Member
    Moving a file instead of copying it to another device always have risk as the data transferring process may get interrupted anytime and cause data loss from the both devices. However, there are many file recovery tools available online to recover files such as Recuva, Stellar WDR-Home, Easeus, etc. You can try any of them to retrieve your file.

Adin, Aug 8, 2018
    1 person likes this.
Thema:

1. file forensics: any way to recover moved file? - Similar Threads - file forensics recover

2. is there a way to recover permanently deleted files?

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    is there a way to recover permanently deleted files?: I have accidently deleted some files which i wasn't meant to i went to go look in my recycle bin if it was there but i had emptied that as well, is there any way which i could get these files back as they are quite important for me....
  3. Hello, is there any way to recover any lost files on my hard drive?

Hello, is there any way to recover any lost files on my hard drive?: I lost all 800GB of data on my TranscendElite Hard Drive after installing a USB Drive for Windows 10 on it not knowing what it would do, which I know, is very stupid and I have no restore points or File History saves on that drive since I was unable to unfortunately. It...
  4. Hello, is there any way to recover any lost files on my hard drive?

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Hello, is there any way to recover any lost files on my hard drive?: I lost all 800GB of data on my TransendElite Hard Drive after installing a USB Drive for Windows 10 on it not knowing what it would do, which I know, is very stupid and I have no restore points or File History saves on that drive since I was unable to unfortunately. I'm...
  5. Is there any possible way of recovering a deleted file?

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Is there any possible way of recovering a deleted file?: Is there a way of recovering a deleted file? I deleted it about a month ago from my desktop, its a keystore file for my game that i really need. I was an idiot and deleted it and now that im trying to update my game it doesnt let me since im using a new one and i need the...
  6. Is there any possible way of recovering a deleted file?

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Is there any possible way of recovering a deleted file?: Is there a way of recovering a deleted file? I deleted it about a month ago from my desktop, its a keystore file for my game that i really need. I was an idiot and deleted it and now that im trying to update my game it doesnt let me since im using a new one and i need the...
  7. Is there any possible way of recovering a deleted file?

8. Is there any way to remove the ".mpal" ransomware and recover files!?

in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security
    Is there any way to remove the ".mpal" ransomware and recover files!?: Guys i need help i accidently download this file and now most of my data has been encrypted by .mpal ransomware..Is there any way to fix this.?...
  9. Is there any way to move your boot files?

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Is there any way to move your boot files?: So When I downloaded my windows 10 I had many ssd's and hardrives connected and while downloading windows to my samsung 970 pro the boot files (the odd 500mt thing) went to my intel 730p and I was thinking is it possible easily move them to my best ssd?[ATTACH]...
  10. Any way to recover/repair a text file corrupted by a BSOD?

in Windows 10 Support
    Any way to recover/repair a text file corrupted by a BSOD?: I'm furious! I spent several hours adding and updating the code in a large GUI application I'm developing, saving the changes every minute or so like a good boy. Well, I'd just finished a save when I got some kind of kernel BSOD. I rebooted and went back to the code file I...