file forensics: any way to recover moved file?

Discus and support file forensics: any way to recover moved file? in Windows 10 Support to solve the problem; Last night I moved--not copied--a file from my Dell Latitude Win 10 laptop's SSD to a thumb drive. To be precise, I think that I clicked on the file... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Support' started by up2trix, Jul 9, 2018.

1. up2trix Win User

Last night I moved--not copied--a file from my Dell Latitude Win 10 laptop's SSD to a thumb drive.

To be precise, I think that I clicked on the file in Windows Explorer in the laptop, then cut it via ctrl-x, and then pasted it onto the flash drive with ctrl-v.

I then safely ejected the thumb drive (I always do this), took it to my desktop, and to my horror found that the file was not on the thumb drive.

Because I moved, not copied, the file, it was no longer in its original location on the laptop. It also is not in the laptop's Recycle Bin.

My question: is the file still in some other location on the laptop, from which I can recover it?

Or, when you move a file like this, does Windows immediately permanently delete it?

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Some more details follow, if you are interested.

The thumb drive is a Visiontek PRO 256 GB USB 3 drive.

I do NOT have this problem with this thumb drive on my Dell T1700 Win 7 workstation.

However, this is the second Dell laptop that I have seen this drive have this same problem with. My original laptop, a Dell Precision Win 7 machine would sometimes do this; that one got stolen in Rotterdam a month ago. The current laptop is a Dell Latitude Win 10 box.

For some reason, there is a bad interaction between Dell laptops and this particular thumb drive. I tested another, cheaper, thumb drive on the Dell laptop and it worked fine.

:)

up2trix, Jul 9, 2018
  2. Macazine Win User

Recover files from Flash drive

According to me, the best flash drive recovery software which i have used and recovered files easily. It is very easy to use and within few steps you can recover data from flash drive. Recover Corrupt Flash Drive Mac | | Bill Hoyer Systems

Macazine, Jul 9, 2018
  3. WarEagleAU Win User
    Computer Forensics

There are tons of free software options you can get to start learning about Forensics. I actually just finished up my Masters in Information Security and Assurance and concentrated on Forensics and Ethical Hacking (something I have changed my mind to and want to get in the career field of) and OSF Forensics is pretty cool, TrueCrypt (yes) Wireshark, and others. I have a ton of links on IE 10 that I saved and I believe I have a list of links my professors gave me for forensics tools. There are free labs out there as well. Books can help you understand the programs and run steps with software to get the hang of it. However you will need to branch out and do things with the software (especially with Cell phones, that is so cool, lol) and read things from Ram, deleted files on a HDD ,etc.

WarEagleAU, Jul 9, 2018
  4. DRDNA Win User

DRDNA, Jul 9, 2018
Thema:

1. file forensics: any way to recover moved file? - Similar Threads - file forensics recover

2. c# excell file read issue

in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security
    c# excell file read issue: System.Data.OleDb.OleDbException: 'Could not find installable ISAM.' https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/windows_10-security/c-excell-file-read-issue/a88d5f9f-20b5-4484-bf07-90cbcc40e94c"
  3. BSOD and uploading dmp files.

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    BSOD and uploading dmp files.: Hello, Since a few weeks I am getting BSODs randomly when I boot or reboot my computer. I have tried reinstalling windows 10 pro (64bit) but the crashes still occur. It is not always when I boot, sometimes it al goes ok. While looking on the web I found the page to use...
  4. re file error 2147219196

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    re file error 2147219196: Will removing the update fix the problem? J.K. https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/apps_windows_10-photos/re-file-error-2147219196/b228d648-ab2c-42d9-b6c3-f4874ac48373
  5. File Explorer not working right...

in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance
    File Explorer not working right...: I've been doing a lot of picture editing and what I don't need I send to the Recycle Bin, when done I empty it. I've noticed the bin doesn't automatically refresh to show that it is empty like in earlier versions of windows i.e. "3.11, 98, XP, and 7", but will if I manually...
  6. How do I delete files on system volume information?

in Windows 10 Support
    How do I delete files on system volume information?: [img] I have about 58GB unneeded data trapped in "system volume information>file protector" and im not able to delete it. Things I have tried so far: 1. deleting every system restore and even turning it off. 2. Disabled acronis data protection and even uninstalled it. and a...
  7. How to fix File system error (-21472119196) on Windows 10?

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    How to fix File system error (-21472119196) on Windows 10?: Some of my picture files on Windows 10 will not open due to File system error (-21472119196). Need help to fix this error. Thanks....
  8. Installing Windows 10 from Microsoft download USB, keeps say there is a corrupt install file

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Installing Windows 10 from Microsoft download USB, keeps say there is a corrupt install file: Used multiple methods of re-install of windows, after update stopped computer from boot up. Could not repair, went to clean install. Keep getting this message, even with using ISO, and USB, download from Microsoft. Is there a solution?...
  9. Will upgrading Win10 with media creation tool delete personal files and apps ?

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Will upgrading Win10 with media creation tool delete personal files and apps ?: I have windows 10 home purchased and activated But I want to reinstall it so I downloaded MEDIA CREATION TOOL and I picked Upgrade this PC now. option I keeped my personal files and apps but the problem is I have 2 users in my PC So upgrading the pc will affect files if...
  10. Having 2 or more windows open at the same time in File Explorer

in Windows 10 Support
    Having 2 or more windows open at the same time in File Explorer: When I open File Explorer and open a window, say D:\Archives, I often want to see another window for, say D:\Todo but the D:\Archives window closes. I'm almost sure there must be a way to keep two or more windows open in one instance of File Explorer but my tired old mind...