Windows 10: File History and backup to a NAS

Discus and support File History and backup to a NAS in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade to solve the problem; I have been trying to use file history in Windows 10 to back up to my NAS. It works to backup everything but the documents which it refuses to do... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade' started by Benj500, Apr 2, 2019.

1. Benj500 Win User

File History and backup to a NAS

I have been trying to use file history in Windows 10 to back up to my NAS. It works to backup everything but the documents which it refuses to do unless an alteration has been made to the document. I have looked at other advice on the community pages and everything suggested doesnt work. so before i go off to third party solutions is there a way to sort this problem out? Thanks

:)

Benj500, Apr 2, 2019
  2. theking2 Win User

Force File History from BitLocker device to NAS

After I enabled BitLocker on my C-Drive File History refuses to make backups to my NAS. The NAS is Linux based and apparently FH doesn't do backups from a BL-protected drive to a destination where it can't be sure if it is protected.

How do I force File History to backup to a NAS?

theking2, Apr 2, 2019
  3. Capn10 Win User
    File History Interferes with networked NAS file access

When I have Win10 File History backup turned on I can no longer listen to music or other media located on my NAS without interuptions. Access to the NAS directories and files slow down dramatically. This began sometime in the last couple months, presumably
    after one of the Win10 updates. The File History backups reside on my NAS, as do my media files. This is a ReadyNAS from Netgear. It has run well for years, including with File History in earlier Win10 versions as well as Win8. If I turn off the File History
    it will after several minutes resume normal operation. Turn File History back on and again it bogs down.

Capn10, Apr 2, 2019
  4. File History and backup to a NAS

File History is On?

Hi candun,

I'm from the File History team.

What kind of drive (NAS, external hard drive, network) are you using for your File History backup?

We've identified an issue with using ext3 file system based backup target for File History and are working on a fix for it. If your backup target has ext3 file system on it, we suggest moving to a NTFS file system based backup target in the meantime.

Thanks,

Anand.

Anand [MSFT], Apr 2, 2019
Thema:

File History and backup to a NAS

1. File History and backup to a NAS - Similar Threads - File History backup

2. Configuring a NAS and File History

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Configuring a NAS and File History: I have a brand new NAS, I'm trying to configure File History in Win 10 to backup to my NAS automatically. In Explorer, I can see my NAS and all its file but when I try to select it as a backup location from File History, I get "You can't open this location using this location...
  3. Configuring a NAS and File History

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Configuring a NAS and File History: I have a brand new NAS, I'm trying to configure File History in Win 10 to backup to my NAS automatically. In Explorer, I can see my NAS and all its file but when I try to select it as a backup location from File History, I get "You can't open this location using this location...
  4. Configuring a NAS and File History

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
  5. File History backup?

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    File History backup?: If I move a file from folder A already backedup in file history to a USB PenDrive to folder B, will it show up in folder B in FileHistory in the next backup? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/file-history-backup/2135cd57-4a9e-4e43-9fd9-d1bbff65e057
  6. File History backup?

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    File History backup?: If I move a file from folder A already backedup in file history to a USB PenDrive to folder B, will it show up in folder B in FileHistory in the next backup? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/file-history-backup/2135cd57-4a9e-4e43-9fd9-d1bbff65e057
  7. File history backup

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    File history backup: I am planning to upgrade my notebook. Ques is, I have my data saved as file history in an external drive. Will I be able to restore data into new notebook from this file history?...
  8. File history backup

in Windows 10 Backup and Restore
    File history backup: Windows 10 v 2004.I notice when selecting Settings-Windows Update-Backup-the option to "add a drive" to back up using file history has been replaced with "Automatically back up my files"although not ON as default. How does this work to back up to a seperate drive? 158363
  9. File History for Backup

in Windows 10 Gaming
    File History for Backup: Are there any complete instructions how File History works and how one is to retrieve documents when needed. Also how to eliminate files when File History back up drive is full. Thanks.... RDH...
  10. Backup file history

in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security
    Backup file history: How do I set up File History to back up to an external hard drive in Windows 10? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/windows_10-security/backup-file-history/2809c456-e34a-47f9-93ab-ea6c9188fd03"