Windows 10: File History and Long Path Names

Discus and support File History and Long Path Names in Windows 10 Customization to solve the problem; Shawn - or anybody that knows... Can you tell me if FH manifest is Long Path aware? (Sorry - All the FH .manifest files I can find are binary, not... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Customization' started by spilly, Mar 12, 2019.

1. spilly Win User

File History and Long Path Names

Shawn - or anybody that knows...

Can you tell me if FH manifest is Long Path aware?
    (Sorry - All the FH .manifest files I can find are binary, not text)

I am trying to help a dyslexic user with memory problems (memory as in "brain", not "bytes")
    Her system is Win 10 Home, and I'm sure the default max path applies.

She has a huge folder tree which breaks the ~256 byte limit many times.
    Her file and folder names are long, with space separated words - all the things you should avoid.

As a result, Win 10 File History falls over with a long path length error

I'm recommending her to use regular monthly Reflect Image backups
    with the FH service to backup her user data as per the FH defaults

I'm hoping that FH is in fact Long Path aware
    - after all it adds 29 bytes of timestamp to every filename from what I can see

I plan to rebuild her Windows, and to enable Long paths after the rebuild
    as well as trying to get her to use shorter names
    - Do you have Any words of advice on this

(orig posted to Gen Support, but then I realised the tutorial was in this Category)

:)

spilly, Mar 12, 2019
  2. gacpac Win User

File history doesn't let you backup long path file names

I've been using file history and it's has been wonderful, until i discovered that many of my files are not backed up due to long path file names. Common, in this days? Those type of errors were common in Windows Server 2003 and XP due to the FAT32 format.
    But why Microsoft still attaches to this.

Can someone tell me if there's a workaround solution for that? like a patch that allows this type of error not happening because renaming more than 2,000 .docx files is not on the list to make file history work correctly.

gacpac, Mar 12, 2019
  3. Windows 10 File History, Long File Names, and Indexing

I've been helping to troubleshoot problems with Windows 10 Pro on an HP laptop, using File History and an external WD Passport drive to back up files in an unusually deep folder tree structure.

Some files with very long path names were not getting backed up, so we used Group Policy Editor to turn on Long Path Names. This seems to have stopped the errors we were seeing in the file history log - but I am left wondering whether the change has in fact
    not left some files excluded from file history.

Am I right in thinking that Windows 10 file history uses indexing to identify the files needing backup? And if so, does the change to long path names result in the updating of indexes (indices?)? Or is it necessary to do a rebuild of the index before file
    history sees the full path names?

MikeHMoore, Mar 12, 2019
  4. File History and Long Path Names

Long Path Names

I forgot the other item on my "Wish List", long path name support (the default path name length is ridiculously short).

Regarding panes and tabs, I use FreeCommander whenever I have to something more than basic file management.

File History and Long Path Names [​IMG]

It has a handy mass rename tool too.

File History and Long Path Names [​IMG]

lehnerus2000, Mar 12, 2019
Thema:

File History and Long Path Names

1. File History and Long Path Names - Similar Threads - File History Long

2. Files with a very long path and file name don't open

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Files with a very long path and file name don't open: Files with a very long name in a nested subfolder do not open unless a copy is made or the folder path property is removed.Interestingly, the File Location in the General properties tab starts with //?D:/ but the folder path in the Details tab starts just with just D:/ I have...
  3. Files with a very long path and file name don't open

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Files with a very long path and file name don't open: Files with a very long name in a nested subfolder do not open unless a copy is made or the folder path property is removed.Interestingly, the File Location in the General properties tab starts with //?D:/ but the folder path in the Details tab starts just with just D:/ I have...
  4. Files with a very long path and file name don't open

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
  5. File History - Files with long path names.

in Windows 10 Gaming
    File History - Files with long path names.: In August 2016, @gacpac posted that "File history doesn't let you back up long path file names".Does this problem still exist in Windows 11? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/file-history-files-with-long-path-names/2482af76-4e9d-4ddd-aa8a-098efbf690a3
  6. File History - Files with long path names.

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    File History - Files with long path names.: In August 2016, @gacpac posted that "File history doesn't let you back up long path file names".Does this problem still exist in Windows 11? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/file-history-files-with-long-path-names/2482af76-4e9d-4ddd-aa8a-098efbf690a3
  7. Enabling Long Path to Allow Files with Long Names in Windows 10 File Explorer

in Windows 10 Customization
    Enabling Long Path to Allow Files with Long Names in Windows 10 File Explorer: I’ve done the fixes suggested by the Microsoft Community: Setting the registry key Computer\HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\FileSystem\LongPathsEnabled Type: REG_DWORD to 1 Adding Enable Win32 long paths in the Local Computer Policy: Computer...
  8. Issues with long file paths

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Issues with long file paths: I have a file with a path that begins with \\?\ which is causing a lot of issues with programs. It's a video file and VLC won't play it, etc. I already have LongPathsEnabled in the registry. Is there any way to get long paths to look normal or is it just up to the other...
  9. Long path names (>260) works with some file browsers

in Windows 10 Support
    Long path names (>260) works with some file browsers: Hi folks Some file browsers now work with the long file names but "bog standard file explorer" plus applications based on the old explorer api will still fail. - You set long file names via reg key -- it's in the tutorials. Anyway for example FILEZILLA (an FTP client)...
  10. File History and Long Path Names

in Windows 10 Backup and Restore
    File History and Long Path Names: Shawn - or anybody that knows... Can you tell me if FH manifest is Long Path aware? (Sorry - All the FH .manifest files I can find are binary, not text) I am trying to help a dyslexic user with memory problems (memory as in "brain", not "bytes") Her system is Win 10 Home,...