Windows 10: File History and Long Path Names

Discus and support File History and Long Path Names in Windows 10 Backup and Restore to solve the problem; Shawn - or anybody that knows... Can you tell me if FH manifest is Long Path aware? (Sorry - All the FH .manifest files I can find are binary, not... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Backup and Restore' started by spilly, Mar 13, 2019.

1. spilly Win User

File History and Long Path Names

Shawn - or anybody that knows...

Can you tell me if FH manifest is Long Path aware?
    (Sorry - All the FH .manifest files I can find are binary, not text)

I am trying to help a dyslexic user with memory problems (memory as in "brain", not "bytes")
    Her system is Win 10 Home, and I'm sure the default max path applies.

She has a huge folder tree which breaks the ~256 byte limit many times.
    Her file and folder names are long, with space separated words - all the things you should avoid.

As a result, Win 10 File History falls over with a long path length error

I'm recommending her to use regular monthly Reflect Image backups
    with the FH service to backup her user data as per the FH defaults

I'm hoping that FH is in fact Long Path aware
    - after all it adds 29 bytes of timestamp to every filename from what I can see

I plan to rebuild her Windows, and to enable Long paths after the rebuild
    as well as trying to get her to use shorter names
    - Do you have Any words of advice on this

(orig posted to Gen Support, but then I realised the tutorial was in this Category)

:)

spilly, Mar 13, 2019
  2. gacpac Win User

File history doesn't let you backup long path file names

I've been using file history and it's has been wonderful, until i discovered that many of my files are not backed up due to long path file names. Common, in this days? Those type of errors were common in Windows Server 2003 and XP due to the FAT32 format.
    But why Microsoft still attaches to this.

Can someone tell me if there's a workaround solution for that? like a patch that allows this type of error not happening because renaming more than 2,000 .docx files is not on the list to make file history work correctly.

gacpac, Mar 13, 2019
  3. Windows 10 File History, Long File Names, and Indexing

I've been helping to troubleshoot problems with Windows 10 Pro on an HP laptop, using File History and an external WD Passport drive to back up files in an unusually deep folder tree structure.

Some files with very long path names were not getting backed up, so we used Group Policy Editor to turn on Long Path Names. This seems to have stopped the errors we were seeing in the file history log - but I am left wondering whether the change has in fact
    not left some files excluded from file history.

Am I right in thinking that Windows 10 file history uses indexing to identify the files needing backup? And if so, does the change to long path names result in the updating of indexes (indices?)? Or is it necessary to do a rebuild of the index before file
    history sees the full path names?

MikeHMoore, Mar 13, 2019
  4. File History and Long Path Names

Long Path Names

I forgot the other item on my "Wish List", long path name support (the default path name length is ridiculously short).

Regarding panes and tabs, I use FreeCommander whenever I have to something more than basic file management.

File History and Long Path Names [​IMG]

It has a handy mass rename tool too.

File History and Long Path Names [​IMG]

lehnerus2000, Mar 13, 2019
Thema:

File History and Long Path Names

1. File History and Long Path Names - Similar Threads - File History Long

2. File History and Long Path Names

in Windows 10 Customization
    File History and Long Path Names: Shawn - or anybody that knows... Can you tell me if FH manifest is Long Path aware? (Sorry - All the FH .manifest files I can find are binary, not text) I am trying to help a dyslexic user with memory problems (memory as in "brain", not "bytes") Her system is Win 10 Home,...
  3. Problems with Long File Names

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Problems with Long File Names: Hello I'am Tobias and I have a Problem with long File Names on a share, people used to create files and directories in Windows 7, some of them over 300 characters long. That was not a big problem back then. Now we have switched to Windows 10 and we now have a problem with...
  4. Linux alternative to Mp3tag (handles long file names !!)

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Linux alternative to Mp3tag (handles long file names !!): Hi folks If you use Linux on a NAS or on a VM (Virtual Machine) there's an alternative to the Windows Mp3tag (very good but unfortunately suffers from problem windows has with long file names -- not Mp3tag's fault I hasten to add). Program is puddletag -- on Ubuntu /...
  5. Long file names and shared (Samba) files access - But !!

in Windows 10 Support
    Long file names and shared (Samba) files access - But !!: Hi there Windows build 1607 Pro X64 GB edition. You CAN access these files when a Samba drive is mounted as network drive but Windows truncates the names !!!! Music will play though with VLC etc. But as VLC uses file explorer to browse files you get the ones with the...
  6. How to get/display full path *and* file name of a file?

in Windows 10 Support
    How to get/display full path *and* file name of a file?: Hi All, Any way to get/display the full path and file name of a file? It's easy to get the full path, but I want to get the path and file name. I know I can grab them separately. Can I get them together? How? I did a google and youtube search and didn't find any hits....
  7. Long File names in Build 1607 revisited

in Windows 10 Support
    Long File names in Build 1607 revisited: Hi there On a re-check with the long file names issue it seems by using the registry fix some programs can use them. File explorer perversely won't accept them which is a bit odd as that's probably the place most users will encouty the problem when copying / moving...
  8. Biggest disappointment Long file names don't work

in Windows 10 Support
    Biggest disappointment Long file names don't work: Hi there I was really hoping for the Long file names to work (> 260 chars inc Directory names) -- No go --still don't work. I've some other issues - but this is a real disappointment. Cheers Jimbo 58450
  9. File long path in Windows 10

in Windows 10 Support
    File long path in Windows 10: I had a Windows 10 installation with some folders full of documents, I reinstalled the system and went to copy my backup documents back in place, but now I get a filepath length error. I use Home Edition, so I tried a few registry hacks from here and here, without success,...
  10. Note on ReFS for windows (Long File names)

in Windows 10 Support
    Note on ReFS for windows (Long File names): Hi there After using gpedit.msc and setting option for long file names - and a reboot -- still not working (Windows 10 Pro ver 1607) Here's the folder from my server running Linux Centos 7 as its OS. All OK [img] Here's the folder as seen by a Windows client...