Windows 10: File History Back Up Stopped Working

Discus and support File History Back Up Stopped Working in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade to solve the problem; My File History Back up has stopped working. I have disconnected and reconnected my external back up drive and restarted my computer. When I ask it... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade' started by Minime7, Nov 1, 2020.

1. Minime7 Win User

File History Back Up Stopped Working

My File History Back up has stopped working. I have disconnected and reconnected my external back up drive and restarted my computer. When I ask it to do a back up NOW it says it's doing it but nothing happens and it then says "Your data is not yet back up". How do I get my back up to start working again? Please keep instructions simple! Thanks

:)

Minime7, Nov 1, 2020

2. How to stop File History on the old drive and start File History on a new drive?

I use the external drive
    for File History and have a lot of information there. I want to restart the File History process on a new drive and place the previous File History drive off-site.

Please suggest the steps to stop File History on the old drive and start File History on a new drive.

CindyRomero, Nov 1, 2020
  3. Junaid_A Win User
    File History restart

Hi Jim,

Thank you for writing to Microsoft Community forums.

To change the backup drive for File History, the current process should be stopped. I suggest you to try the steps listed below to stop file history on an older drive and restart it on a new drive:

Change File History backup drive:

• Open Settings and navigate to Update & Security > Backup.
    • Click on More Options, scroll down to locate
      Backup to a different drive section, and choose Stop Using Drive.
    • Plug in the new storage drive, navigate to Settings > Update & Security > Backup,
      and choose Add a Drive.
    • Restart File History and configure it by referring to the article

File History in Windows

Hope it helps.

Regards,

Junaid_A, Nov 1, 2020
  4. ALN
    ALN Win User

Windows10 File History Stopped Backing Up

Steve. Thanks for the info! Since re-setting the Options in FH seems to have fixed it, I plan to leave well enough alone. But will definitely try your suggestion if it quits working again.

On a more general question: Is there a better Auto Backup application than File History? I don't care about historical versions of any files - only current version in case my hard drive fails. I prefer it to be on my external hard drive (not cloud), and free is always good!

Thema:

1. File History Back Up Stopped Working - Similar Threads - File History Stopped

2. File History stops working

in Windows 10 Gaming
    File History stops working: Greetings,I haven't been able to find any documentation for File History.File History stops working about once a week. If I go back in and click "Back up now", it will resume, but I don't know for how long.Does File History keeps logs in Event Viewer?If not, is there another...
  3. File History stops working

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    File History stops working: Greetings,I haven't been able to find any documentation for File History.File History stops working about once a week. If I go back in and click "Back up now", it will resume, but I don't know for how long.Does File History keeps logs in Event Viewer?If not, is there another...
  4. File History back up not working

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    File History back up not working: Hi, Firstly, does any one know if Windows 10 Back up File History remains a focus for the Windows team? The UI is kinda clunky to say the least. I have been trying to use Back up but haven't had any success. If I right click on FileHistory on the external drive and choose...
  5. File History is not backing up my work

in Windows 10 Backup and Restore
    File History is not backing up my work: I have been using File History to back up my work every 1/2 hour. The backups are being written to a shared folder on a NAS. I check periodically to make sure my files are being backed up and have not noticed any problems until now. I have been doing a lot of work in one...
  6. File history back up.

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    File history back up.: Hi, when I back up file history to an external drive it does not save my picture library. I have used different drives but no pictures are saved. I do have a one drive account as well but would love to get my pictures on an external drive just in case. Any ideas? Cheers,...
  7. Back-up and File History

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Back-up and File History: I use Windows 10 Back-up and I swap between 2 Passport Drives every month so as to put one at a time safely away from the PC. Trouble is, whenever I Add A Drive, the default settings are Back Up Hourly and Keep Forever. And to back up folders I never use like Saved Games and...
  8. File history/ Back-up

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    File history/ Back-up: I accidentally deleted my recovery partition and now I get an error saying check back-up settings. How can I re-install? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/file-history-back-up/83dfd074-f1b6-4cfc-8d02-4e0945a155de
  9. Windows10 File History Stopped Backing Up

Windows10 File History Stopped Backing Up: I have been using File History Backup ever since Windows10 was introduced. I just checked the last backup, and see it was Jan 1, 2018 - seams to have stopped working as of then, and don't know how to get it going again. I have it set to back up Daily and to keep History for 1...
  10. File History Stopped Working...

File History Stopped Working...: I've searched this site and Google for the error I get and have found nothing that seems to pertain to this issue exactly. I have been using the file history backup function since installing W10 Home right before the free offer expired and it has been working fine. I was...