Windows 10: File History - backed up file won't open

Discus and support File History - backed up file won't open in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade to solve the problem; I have been using File History in Windows 10 for some time to back up my family history .uds files. Having had a problem and turned to these back ups I... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade' started by jknightms, Apr 8, 2019.

1. jknightms Win User

File History - backed up file won't open

I have been using File History in Windows 10 for some time to back up my family history .uds files. Having had a problem and turned to these back ups I find they will not open. I have tried renaming them and moving them back to the original folder but still can't get any of them to open. Is File History corrupting them in some way? Help needed please - many hours of work at stake here.

:)

jknightms, Apr 8, 2019
  2. #Jon# Win User

File History not backing up any files

Hello Victor

Thank you for the response. I had already checked that thread, but it hasn't helped me:

• The thread deals with Windows 8's implementation of File History, which is somewhat different to that of Windows 10.
    • Most of the thread deals with setting up File History (which I have already done, precisely following the recommended steps). The third link in the thread might have been useful since it appears to link to a page that deals with troubleshooting File History
      (as opposed to setting it up), but unfortunately the link is dead.
    Any further suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

#Jon#, Apr 8, 2019
  3. Ketxxx Win User
    opening .dds files with gimp

Simply, HOW? I got the DDS plugin but the POS wont open DDS files still. Can someone give me a step-by-step rundown of how to install the DDS plugin for gimp so I know if I'm missing something?

Ketxxx, Apr 8, 2019
  4. File History - backed up file won't open

File History does not back up blocked files.

Hi Philrosenberg,

Thank you for posting your query in Microsoft Community.

I understand the inconvenience you are facing currently.

I would appreciate if you can provide us the following information to help us understand the issue better.

• Since when are you facing this?
    • Did you make any changes in prior to this issue?
    • Do you get any error message or error code on the screen code?
    As of now I suggest you follow the steps mentioned in the link below.

What if something goes wrong in File History?

http://windows.microsoft.com/en-IN/windows-8/what-something-goes-wrong-file-history

Note: Steps for Windows 8.1 are also applicable on Windows 10.

Please get back to us with a reply so that we can assist you better.

Nachappa C K, Apr 8, 2019
Thema:

File History - backed up file won't open

1. File History - backed up file won't open - Similar Threads - File History backed

2. Error Backing Up with File History

in Windows 10 Customization
    Error Backing Up with File History: I have just started the first backup yesterday. It worked fine, but now I removed two folders from the backup set and now when I try to back up I get this error....
  3. Back up using File History

in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security
    Back up using File History: Hi thereI have a portable Samsung external hard drive attached to my computer which I use for backup purposes.However File History does not recognise it as a usable drive. When I click on 'add a drive' in Back Up it says 'no usable drives found'. How can I make it recognise...
  4. File History back up not working

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    File History back up not working: Hi, Firstly, does any one know if Windows 10 Back up File History remains a focus for the Windows team? The UI is kinda clunky to say the least. I have been trying to use Back up but haven't had any success. If I right click on FileHistory on the external drive and choose...
  5. Back up files missing in File History

Back up files missing in File History: I need to restore all files from my back up drive. I can see them all sitting there, however when I go into File History to restore them, I cannot see them there, only a couple of folders with documents I have been working on in the past couple of days. Is there another...
  6. back up vs. file history

back up vs. file history: Win 10 back up/ file history https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/back-up-vs-file-history/caea7853-64bd-4aba-bbc6-8799cc5e64d3
  7. File history back up.

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    File history back up.: Hi, when I back up file history to an external drive it does not save my picture library. I have used different drives but no pictures are saved. I do have a one drive account as well but would love to get my pictures on an external drive just in case. Any ideas? Cheers,...
  8. Back-up and File History

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Back-up and File History: I use Windows 10 Back-up and I swap between 2 Passport Drives every month so as to put one at a time safely away from the PC. Trouble is, whenever I Add A Drive, the default settings are Back Up Hourly and Keep Forever. And to back up folders I never use like Saved Games and...
  9. File history/ Back-up

File history/ Back-up: I accidentally deleted my recovery partition and now I get an error saying check back-up settings. How can I re-install? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/file-history-back-up/83dfd074-f1b6-4cfc-8d02-4e0945a155de
  10. File history not backing up all files.

File history not backing up all files.: I just purchased a new SSD and reinstalled windows using the MS media creation tool. It installed the latest Windows 10 Pro 1809 I installed many apps and games. I decided to run File History as previous backups have failed miserably. I check my game folder in appdata...