Windows 10: File History backup folders getting reset after windows update

Discus and support File History backup folders getting reset after windows update in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade to solve the problem; It seems like the previous discussion on this was locked, but this issue is nowhere near solved. Once again the folders I have ADDED to File History... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade' started by DarrellX, Aug 13, 2019.

1. DarrellX Win User

File History backup folders getting reset after windows update

It seems like the previous discussion on this was locked, but this issue is nowhere near solved. Once again the folders I have ADDED to File History have been removed.

From my update history I can clearly see:

Feature update to Windows 10, version 1903

Successfully installed on ‎7/‎30/‎2019

and when I check files that get changed on a regular basis (e.g., one of my database files) on my backup drive that FIle History backs up to, the last file date is 7/28/2019 and it is almost two weeks after the update now.

While a lot of users probably use the default user directory, others like me have secondary drives where they store data and for these to be removed from the backup list each time specific updates are "pushed" is unacceptable.

I would hope someone at MS would take this seriously enough to test this to see where the problem is and provide a solution or fix the update process that is removing the ADDED folders.

FYI I am NOT on a domain and am running windows 10 pro.

:)

DarrellX, Aug 13, 2019

2. File History backup folders getting reset after windows update

Hello,

I use the "File History" to constantly back up a folder in my D: drive.

I removed all the default folders that the system put in the backup list and only added "D:\My Work Data"

After the last window update (1809) all the backup folder where reset!

all the default folders came back to the list, and my "D:\My Work Data" was removed from the list!!!

this append to me also in the previous windows update.

another thing that was reset is:

event viewer-> application -> microsoft -> windows -> DriverFramework-UserMode -> Operational -> properties

I had it enabled and it was set to disable after the update.

Zohar

zoharmills levin, Aug 13, 2019
  3. How to remove folders from File History

• I had the same problem, and I solved in this way:
      Control Panel -> System and Security-> File History -> Turn off
      Settings -> Update & Security -> Backup -> More options -> Stop using this drive
      Delete the File History folder in your external drive.
      Start using File History again.
      After performing these steps, I can easily add folders to "Excluded Folders" and they remain excluded. I checked in the actual files and folders saved on the external disk, and it works.
      I did not modify the default settings about how often and how long backup is saved, File History is working ok now. So I guess it is important to click "Stop using this drive" in order to reset File History.
      Hope this will be helpful

mila parker, Aug 13, 2019
  4. ALN
    ALN Win User

How to remove folders from File History

That did it - Thank you Mila!

Thema:

1. File History backup folders getting reset after windows update - Similar Threads - File History backup

2. File history backup not working after factory reset

in Windows 10 Gaming
    File history backup not working after factory reset: My asus laptop recently came back from a warranty repair and beforehand I backed it up on by external hard drive and now after I go to restore from backup it doesn’t let me restore from the backup. Is there a way to do this or do I have to manually drag them from the folder...
  3. File history backup not working after factory reset

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    File history backup not working after factory reset: My asus laptop recently came back from a warranty repair and beforehand I backed it up on by external hard drive and now after I go to restore from backup it doesn’t let me restore from the backup. Is there a way to do this or do I have to manually drag them from the folder...
  4. File history backup not working after factory reset

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
  5. Unable to add folders to File History Backup

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Unable to add folders to File History Backup: Hi everyone, hopefully this is the right place to post. I’m trying to create a backup as part of a course and I’m running into issues. The assignment specifies using backup and restore (windows 7) for this, but when I click on setup backup nothing happens. The spinning wheel...
  6. file history, adding folders to backup

file history, adding folders to backup: How do you backup file history? windows 10 pro https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/file-history-adding-folders-to-backup/b3568a24-a3c3-48dd-a5c6-e625870bcd15
  7. File History Backup and Appdata folders

File History Backup and Appdata folders: I have two home computers both on an Office 365 subscription, Windows 10. Many ‘C:\...User’ folders are included in ‘File History, Backup’ by default but the ‘User\AppData’ folder is not. Is it a good idea to include any of the AppData folders in backups? For example,...
  8. Unable to Backup / update File History

in Windows 10 Backup and Restore
    Unable to Backup / update File History: For a couple of months Backup and File History have not been working, even after a successful update to October which cured some problems. I think I have checked out most possibilities, including accessing and starting Backup both from Settings and via Control Panel. I...
  9. File History backup folders getting reset after windows update

File History backup folders getting reset after windows update: Hello, I use the "File History" to constantly back up a folder in my D: drive. I removed all the default folders that the system put in the backup list and only added "D:\My Work Data" After the last window update (1809) all the backup folder where reset! all the...
  10. Backup Files and Folders with File History in Windows 10

in Windows 10 Tutorials
    Backup Files and Folders with File History in Windows 10: How to: Backup Files and Folders with File History in Windows 10 How to Manually Create a File History Backup in Windows 10 [img] Information File History was first introduced in Windows 8, and has been improved in Windows 10. You can use File History to...