Windows 10: File History backup - folders not named just numbered? What is it?

Discus and support File History backup - folders not named just numbered? What is it? in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade to solve the problem; I have done backup of my computer using File History method. I can see that there are many items in FileHistory folder on my backup disk. In a... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade' started by JohnCobb1, Jan 19, 2020.

1. JohnCobb1 Win User

File History backup - folders not named just numbered? What is it?

I have done backup of my computer using File History method.

I can see that there are many items in FileHistory folder on my backup disk.

In a folder "$OF" there are thousands of other folders that are named with numbers only. In those folders there are many files.

If I want to restore a specific file that seats somewhere in one of those thousands of folders how will I find it???

I was specifically interested in my emails from Outlook which are files with extension .pst and .ost. I know where they are on my PC but where are they in FileHistory folder among the backup folders and files???

In case I have to restore them how can I find them???

Is this some kind of joke?

I thought that FileHistory backup will do it more logically that means it will name and place all files and folders in the same structure as on my PC.

Another question:

Can I backup second physical disk not C: running this dumb FileHistory? I can not see such option and also no option to chose what I want to backup.

From description and what I read on the Internet there should be such option. Where is it?

I use Windows 10.

Any ideas?

:)

JohnCobb1, Jan 19, 2020
  2. Rafe Win User

Windows File History / Backup - exclude folder by name

In Windows 10 "File History" / Backup (whatever it's called now), is there a way to exclude folders by name? For example, I'd like to exclude all folders named 'bin' from being backed up. Essentially, it would be great to be able to exclude things from file backup like you can do for git using a .gitignore file. Any ideas/suggestions on how to do this?

3. Leen76 Win User
    Backup These Folders in File History

My Pictures and My Videos folders are inside the My Documents folder. In File History all three folders are listed in the Backup These Folders list. Does this mean that because of this, files in Pictures and Videos are backuped twice? Once when backing up
    My Documents and once when backing up My Pictures and My Videos (included in My Documents)

Leen76, Jan 19, 2020
  4. File History backup - folders not named just numbered? What is it?

How to remove folders from File History

• I had the same problem, and I solved in this way:
      Control Panel -> System and Security-> File History -> Turn off
      Settings -> Update & Security -> Backup -> More options -> Stop using this drive
      Delete the File History folder in your external drive.
      Start using File History again.
      After performing these steps, I can easily add folders to "Excluded Folders" and they remain excluded. I checked in the actual files and folders saved on the external disk, and it works.
      I did not modify the default settings about how often and how long backup is saved, File History is working ok now. So I guess it is important to click "Stop using this drive" in order to reset File History.
      Hope this will be helpful

mila parker, Jan 19, 2020
Thema:

File History backup - folders not named just numbered? What is it?

1. File History backup - folders not named just numbered? What is it? - Similar Threads - File History backup

2. File History or Backup and Restore? or both? or what?

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    File History or Backup and Restore? or both? or what?: Greetings. I have a laptop with Windows 11 pro which was automatically upgraded from Windows 10 Pro, which I upgraded from Windows 10 Home. I bought an external hard drive for backups as my laptop is getting old. I am currently trying to get a backup of all my data that is on...
  3. File History or Backup and Restore? or both? or what?

in Windows 10 Gaming
    File History or Backup and Restore? or both? or what?: Greetings. I have a laptop with Windows 11 pro which was automatically upgraded from Windows 10 Pro, which I upgraded from Windows 10 Home. I bought an external hard drive for backups as my laptop is getting old. I am currently trying to get a backup of all my data that is on...
  4. File History or Backup and Restore? or both? or what?

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
  5. Can I Change the Name of the "File History" Backup File?

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Can I Change the Name of the "File History" Backup File?: I am using Dropbox to backup my PC's external drive. It works fine for documents, but Dropbox won't sync with the "File History" folder that is maintained by Windows 10 on that drive by the File History backup utility. Per Dropbox's Help topics, "Folders named ToolKit and...
  6. Can I Change the Name of the "File History" Backup File?

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Can I Change the Name of the "File History" Backup File?: I am using Dropbox to backup my PC's external drive. It works fine for documents, but Dropbox won't sync with the "File History" folder that is maintained by Windows 10 on that drive by the File History backup utility. Per Dropbox's Help topics, "Folders named ToolKit and...
  7. Can I Change the Name of the "File History" Backup File?

in Windows 10 Gaming
  8. file history, adding folders to backup

file history, adding folders to backup: How do you backup file history? windows 10 pro https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/file-history-adding-folders-to-backup/b3568a24-a3c3-48dd-a5c6-e625870bcd15
  9. File History Backup and Appdata folders

File History Backup and Appdata folders: I have two home computers both on an Office 365 subscription, Windows 10. Many ‘C:\...User’ folders are included in ‘File History, Backup’ by default but the ‘User\AppData’ folder is not. Is it a good idea to include any of the AppData folders in backups? For example,...
  10. File History. What are the defaults included in a backup?

in Windows 10 Backup and Restore
    File History. What are the defaults included in a backup?: Hi I’ve been trying Win 10 File History and am most confused. First I did a Test run and selected just one folder (Test Folder) to be backed up to an external drive. After the backup had been running for about 5 minutes & my Test Folder was only about 2Mbs in size I looked...