Windows 10: File History Backup making multiple copies

Discus and support File History Backup making multiple copies in Windows 10 Backup and Restore to solve the problem; Have a 1TB BU external drive that I noticed was getting filled up.<br>Found one of the problems in my "File History" where I saw multiple copies of the... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Backup and Restore' started by cfourkays, Jan 2, 2021.

1. cfourkays Win User

File History Backup making multiple copies

Have a 1TB BU external drive that I noticed was getting filled up.<br>Found one of the problems in my "File History" where I saw multiple copies of the same data.<br>I've attached a small sample of one section of "File History" and the "Properties of 1 of the multiple files, "Annotations".<br>Read somewhere that this is normal and that only one copy would be restored but this doesn't help the load on the ext. drive.<br>Pete

:)

cfourkays, Jan 2, 2021
  2. Draclvr Win User

File History Making Multiple Copies of Files

So, neilpzz's suggestions did not work. Does anyone else have any suggestions for why my File History keeps making multiple copies of files every hour - or whatever interval I have specified. Like all day long... In one day, my 1 GB exterior drive had
    over 600 GB of data on it - all copies.

Draclvr, Jan 2, 2021
  3. HairyFool Win User
    Back up process makes multiple copies of files.

On what basis are you seeing multiple copies.

As Shawn says the 1st backup is complete then only file changes are recorded.

However each backup event will list all files available to restore at that particular point which will include all files in the original master backup. So if the there are 10 backup events the original file will be listed 10 times but there is only one copy
    if it is unchanged.

Use explorer to examine the File History folder. Each file name will be modified with the date and time but only those that have actually altered will have multiple copies.

HairyFool, Jan 2, 2021
  4. Draclvr Win User

File History Making Multiple Copies of Files

I am unable to find a question addressing my issue. Upgraded from Windows 8.1 Pro to Windows 10 Pro last summer. Finally got around to setting up File History. When I checked my 1 TB external drive, I found File History was making copies of my documents,
    pictures etc. every hour as I left it set to default. Unfortunately, it makes a new copy of EVERYTHING every hour... at the end of the day, my drive was consumed with over 600 GB of File History data.

I have deleted the file several times and turned File History on and off and changed the interval. Whatever interval it is, File History just make another new copy of everything.

This is the only computer in the house and it is not connected to a Homegroup. Any suggestions?

Draclvr, Jan 2, 2021
Thema:

1. File History Backup making multiple copies - Similar Threads - File History Backup

2. Using copied files from the Windows backup history

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Using copied files from the Windows backup history: I copied some old backup files from an old hard disk to a new hard disk and I'm having a hard time getting windows 10 to see and use them now for backups. These files are organized under a directory that has the name of my pc, the next level of the file hierarchy is "Backup...
  3. Using copied files from the Windows backup history

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Using copied files from the Windows backup history: I copied some old backup files from an old hard disk to a new hard disk and I'm having a hard time getting windows 10 to see and use them now for backups. These files are organized under a directory that has the name of my pc, the next level of the file hierarchy is "Backup...
  4. Using copied files from the Windows backup history

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
  5. File History backup?

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    File History backup?: If I move a file from folder A already backedup in file history to a USB PenDrive to folder B, will it show up in folder B in FileHistory in the next backup? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/file-history-backup/2135cd57-4a9e-4e43-9fd9-d1bbff65e057
  6. File history backup

File history backup: I am planning to upgrade my notebook. Ques is, I have my data saved as file history in an external drive. Will I be able to restore data into new notebook from this file history?...
  7. File History for Backup

in Windows 10 Gaming
    File History for Backup: Are there any complete instructions how File History works and how one is to retrieve documents when needed. Also how to eliminate files when File History back up drive is full. Thanks.... RDH...
  8. Make a copy or Backup files of my PC

Make a copy or Backup files of my PC: Dear Sirs of MS Support Team and Community: After months of waiting the solution to get a Backup files and that, this possibility came at middle of March of 2019 now, shows up a new code error 0x8100002f with a warning that alert: some files has not been Backed up...
  9. File history making unnecessary copies

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    File history making unnecessary copies: W10 File History backs up all files instead of changed files only https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/file-history-making-unnecessary-copies/7b8c2265-1a8f-45c6-ab13-3e12cee6180f"
  10. Backup file history

in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security
    Backup file history: How do I set up File History to back up to an external hard drive in Windows 10? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/windows_10-security/backup-file-history/2809c456-e34a-47f9-93ab-ea6c9188fd03"