Windows 10: File History: Backup Multiple Computers to One External Drive?

Discus and support File History: Backup Multiple Computers to One External Drive? in Windows 10 Network and Sharing to solve the problem; Hi, I'd like to use the same usb drive to backup multiple computers. They have the same user id, so I was wondering if the backups would be kept in... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Network and Sharing' started by Joe JThomas, Apr 19, 2019.

1. File History: Backup Multiple Computers to One External Drive?

Hi,

I'd like to use the same usb drive to backup multiple computers.

They have the same user id, so I was wondering if the backups would be kept in different directories.

Please let me know exactly how multiple computer/users/ etc. are stored with File History.

(and if saving the same user from multiple computers is even possible)

Thanks,

Joe

:)

Joe JThomas, Apr 19, 2019
  2. Rhen Pal Win User

Windows 10-Reconnect your drive...No longer able to use original USB HDD for File History backups

Perform these steps to enable backup:

• Connect an external hard drive to your computer.
    • Next, open the Settings app from your Start Menu.
    • Navigate to Update & Security > Backup.
    • Click or tap the “Add a drive” option under Back up using File History to add an external drive that File History will back up to.
    It’ll list external drives and give you the option to back up to them.

Regards.

Rhen Pal, Apr 19, 2019
  3. Roohi_Taj Win User
    File History not working with internal backup drives.

Hi PeteComp,

Thank you for writing to Microsoft Community Forums.

I'll need a few more details to analyze your concern & provide an accurate solution:

• Did you make any changes to the computer prior to this issue?
    • How much space is left out on the back up drive?

This issue might occur if some system files are not working properly or
    if it doesn't have enough space to save temporary versions of your files. To continue saving copies of your files, you'll need to re add your File History drive and check.

I suggest you to follow the troubleshooting steps mentioned below:

Method 1:
    1. Press Windows
      and R
      key together on your Keyboard.
    2. Type Services.msc and hit enter.
    3. Search for Software Protection, Volume Shadow Copy and Windows BackupDouble click on the service and select
      Automatic under start up type.

4. Click on Start, Apply and Ok.

5. Restart the computer and check if is working now.

Method 2:

1. Go to Control Panel
      > Click on System and Security>
      Click on File History > Turn off.
    2. Click on Settings >Go to Update & Security > select Backup on the left pane.
    3. On the right pane, select
      more options
      > Click on Stop using this drive.
    4. Delete the File History folder in your drive.

Note: Deleting File history back up will remove all the versions of the Files. Make sure you take the back up on the external drive, before deleting it.

5. Start using File History again.
    Try to setup the interval time, make some changes on the file and check if File history back up is working at the mentioned time.

Method 3: Try with External drive

You can connect the external drive and follow the procedure to setup the drive again. Here is the information about
    Backup and restore your files

Hope it helps.

Roohi Taj S

Microsoft Community - Moderator

Roohi_Taj, Apr 19, 2019
  4. File History: Backup Multiple Computers to One External Drive?

File History drive

Hi Joseph,

Thank you for contacting Microsoft Community.

I would like to inform you that if your File History drive has been disconnected for too long, or it doesn't have enough space to save temporary versions of your files. To continue saving copies of your files, you'll need to reconnect your File History drive.
    Plug in your external File History drive or reselect your network. You can start a backup manually or wait for the next scheduled backup or reselect the drive. Here is the steps:

To manually start a backup

• Open File History by pressing Windows key> type File History
      > Click on File History.

• Tap or click Back up now.

To reselect your drive

• Open File History by pressing Windows key> type File History
      > Click on File History.

• Tap or click Select drive.

• On the Select a File History drive page, tap or click your current drive or network location, and then tap or click
      OK.

Hope it helps. Let us know if you need more help and we'll be glad to assist.

Navneet Anand, Apr 19, 2019
Thema:

File History: Backup Multiple Computers to One External Drive?

1. File History: Backup Multiple Computers to One External Drive? - Similar Threads - File History Backup

2. Windows11: Selecting files to backup to an external drive with file history

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Windows11: Selecting files to backup to an external drive with file history: I have seen and followed all the explanations to use file history with windows 11 to backup files to an external drive, But I can't find how to select or add files to backup as it was possible with windows 10. The only option left is exclude files to backup...Anyone knows how...
  3. Windows11: Selecting files to backup to an external drive with file history

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Windows11: Selecting files to backup to an external drive with file history: I have seen and followed all the explanations to use file history with windows 11 to backup files to an external drive, But I can't find how to select or add files to backup as it was possible with windows 10. The only option left is exclude files to backup...Anyone knows how...
  4. File History external hard drive freezes computer

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    File History external hard drive freezes computer: FYI - After switching to Windows 10 I chose to try File History to backup my data files. When the external hard drive is connected, my computer will freeze whenever the hard drive light is on. I am using a Dell laptop with wireless mouse and keyboard through a Dell "docking"...
  5. File History Backup making multiple copies

in Windows 10 Backup and Restore
    File History Backup making multiple copies: Have a 1TB BU external drive that I noticed was getting filled up.<br>Found one of the problems in my "File History" where I saw multiple copies of the same data.<br>I've attached a small sample of one section of "File History" and the "Properties of 1 of the multiple files,...
  6. Cannot see File History in backup to external drive

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Cannot see File History in backup to external drive: Hello, I use a WD My Passport to do backups for my HP laptop. I use Windows 10 Home edition. When I did a backup recently, I did not see my File History in there. It just showed a System/Disk? image on the backup drive and some other file ending in .cat. I keep all of my...
  7. periodic backup to external drive using file history

periodic backup to external drive using file history: If I set up my files to be backed up to an external hard drive using file history, do I have to keep the external drive connected continuously? Or can I hook up external drive periodically?...
  8. Change the backup drive for File History

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Change the backup drive for File History: I'd like to change the backup drive for File History. How can I stop File History on the older physical drive and start File History on a new physical drive?...
  9. File History (Backup) is not letting me choose my external drive......

File History (Backup) is not letting me choose my external drive......: Hi IT-Experts, I am trying to enable File History for my C: drive and I wanted to choose my external USB Drive as Backup destination for it. My external USB Drive has 7TB space and I use it everyday to save pictures on it and access it with the windows explorer just fine....
  10. no external hardrive to backup files!!dropbox?one drive?

in Windows 10 Backup and Restore
    no external hardrive to backup files!!dropbox?one drive?: If I do a fresh install. What are some safe online sites I can back up my files? Drop box or one drive? Suggestions? 37014