Windows 10: File History Backup not backing entire contents of a folder

Discus and support File History Backup not backing entire contents of a folder in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade to solve the problem; Trying to use File History both a timeline type versioning and also as a full backup. Set up new drive and turned File History on and it worked, but... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade' started by PCBPCB, Nov 27, 2018.

1. PCBPCB Win User

File History Backup not backing entire contents of a folder

Trying to use File History both a timeline type versioning and also as a full backup. Set up new drive and turned File History on and it worked, but only partly. As one example, a folder on my computer has 61 items in folder. When I go to the backup folder on the new backup device the same folder only has 28 of the files. Looked at size, recently modified, etc. to see any pattern, but can't find any. I've restarted computer, and push backup and it does backup the recent changes, but not the missing files.

:)

PCBPCB, Nov 27, 2018

2. Use File History to Backup OneDrive Content

Technical Level : Intermediate

Summary

This article details how to backup OneDrive content to another storage medium using the built-in Windows backup tool File History. For more details about File History, read this page:

Restore files or folders using File History

This is valid on Windows 10 and Windows 8.1.

Details

OneDrive is a great tool for syncing and sharing files via Microsoft accounts, however, it's a syncing tool first and files can be permanently deleted. A good practice is to use File History in conjunction with OneDrive so any changes are automatically backed
    up to a different location without fear of files being deleted.

Setup OneDrive to Sync all Critical Files Worthy of Backup

Before you can backup anything in OneDrive using File History, configure it so OneDrive syncs everything to your computer:

• (Windows 10 and Windows 7) Choose the files and folders you want to sync to your computer
    • (Windows 8.1) Choose the folders and files you want to "Make Available Offline"
    Wait for OneDrive to finish syncing all content before continuing to the next step.

Setup a Drive for File History

After you configure OneDrive to sync the content you need, setup a drive to use File History:

Set up a drive for File History

Large, slow drives are ideal for File History, whether they're inside of the computer or connected via a USB on the outside. When you setup File History it should automatically backup all Library folders, OneDrive folders, and other
    common Windows folders. If you don't see your OneDrive folders, manually add them.

Once configured, File History will run on the frequency you chose and will backup your OneDrive files if there are changes; File History uses a more intelligent backup process and will only backup if it detects changes. If a file
    changes frequently, you'll see many versions, possibly a version every time File History runs, otherwise, you may see the original version if it never changes.

If you lose a file and need to restore it, follow these instructions to restore a file from File History:

Restore files or folders using File History

stanimal21, Nov 27, 2018
  3. Leen76 Win User
    Backup These Folders in File History

My Pictures and My Videos folders are inside the My Documents folder. In File History all three folders are listed in the Backup These Folders list. Does this mean that because of this, files in Pictures and Videos are backuped twice? Once when backing up
    My Documents and once when backing up My Pictures and My Videos (included in My Documents)

Leen76, Nov 27, 2018
  4. Jan Del Win User

How can I include a subfolder under Pictures in my File History backup without backing up the entire Pictures folder?

File history back up files by scanning the computer folder-by-folder. Since this feature is only allowing directory backups, we suggest putting the subfolder in to the root folder to make a backup of it.

Get back to us if you need further assistance.

Jan Del, Nov 27, 2018
Thema:

1. File History Backup not backing entire contents of a folder - Similar Threads - File History Backup

2. File History backup?

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    File History backup?: If I move a file from folder A already backedup in file history to a USB PenDrive to folder B, will it show up in folder B in FileHistory in the next backup? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/file-history-backup/2135cd57-4a9e-4e43-9fd9-d1bbff65e057
  3. File history backup

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    File history backup: I am planning to upgrade my notebook. Ques is, I have my data saved as file history in an external drive. Will I be able to restore data into new notebook from this file history?...
  4. File History for Backup

in Windows 10 Gaming
    File History for Backup: Are there any complete instructions how File History works and how one is to retrieve documents when needed. Also how to eliminate files when File History back up drive is full. Thanks.... RDH...
  5. File History Fails to backup Files. Not a single file is backup. Backing up Status is on....

File History Fails to backup Files. Not a single file is backup. Backing up Status is on....: File History Fails to backup Files. Not a single file is backup. Backing up Status is on. Screen[ATTACH]Shot of Error Log Enclosed https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/file-history-fails-to-backup-files-not-a-single/df51b595-feab-46ec-9440-c50d0d1fee2f
  6. Unable to add folders to File History Backup

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Unable to add folders to File History Backup: Hi everyone, hopefully this is the right place to post. I’m trying to create a backup as part of a course and I’m running into issues. The assignment specifies using backup and restore (windows 7) for this, but when I click on setup backup nothing happens. The spinning wheel...
  7. file history, adding folders to backup

file history, adding folders to backup: How do you backup file history? windows 10 pro https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/file-history-adding-folders-to-backup/b3568a24-a3c3-48dd-a5c6-e625870bcd15
  8. File History Backup and Appdata folders

File History Backup and Appdata folders: I have two home computers both on an Office 365 subscription, Windows 10. Many ‘C:\...User’ folders are included in ‘File History, Backup’ by default but the ‘User\AppData’ folder is not. Is it a good idea to include any of the AppData folders in backups? For example,...
  9. file history not backing selected folder

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    file history not backing selected folder: Folders have been selected for backing up and a few have been excluded. But, having selected \pictures and all it's subfolders, File History doesn't back up a sub folder. The folder it doesn't backup is my main folder and is pretty large at several gigabytes, but is that a...
  10. Backup Files and Folders with File History in Windows 10

in Windows 10 Tutorials
    Backup Files and Folders with File History in Windows 10: How to: Backup Files and Folders with File History in Windows 10 How to Manually Create a File History Backup in Windows 10 [img] Information File History was first introduced in Windows 8, and has been improved in Windows 10. You can use File History to...

Users found this page by searching for:

1. Trying to use File History for both its timeline type versioning and also as a full backup

2. File History Backup not backing entire contents microsoft