Windows 10: File History backup stops working & incomplete

Discus and support File History backup stops working & incomplete in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade to solve the problem; File History stops working & incomplete....any ideas. This what I've managed to locate so far and none of works satisfactorily. OS : Win10 home... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade' started by Bob-F1, Sep 12, 2020.

1. Bob-F1 Win User

File History backup stops working & incomplete

File History stops working & incomplete....any ideas. This what I've managed to locate so far and none of works satisfactorily.

Backup Target : Storage Space volume of 2-way mirrored 2x External USB3 Laptop drives.

Backup Source Directories to backup : C:\ Every hour, Keep Forever

Problems:

Initial backup is incomplete missing about 30% of 90 GB, especially C:\Users - a lot missing.

Remediation attempted so far not in this order.

1. Check storage target ...all good

Command: fhmanagew.exe -checktarget

2. Restart Services : Windows Search and File History Service both set to automatic.....no effect

2. Run from command line as administrator...it seemed to pick up more stuff initially, now no longer effective

Command: fhmanagew.exe -backupnow

3. Manually run from Backup Setting, with file history enabled...backup lasted seconds with no "last backup" update or backup data transferred

4. Control Panel > System and Security > System > System protection. on C: drive, click on Configure. Disable system protection then Turn on system protection.....no effect

5. Remove contents C:\Users\<my-user-ID>\AppData\Local\Microsoft\Windows\FileHistory\Configuration

Recreate the entire backup definition and rerun...backup lasted a couple of minutes with no "last backup" update or backup data transferred

:)

Bob-F1, Sep 12, 2020
  2. Junaid_A Win User

File History restart

Hi Jim,

Thank you for writing to Microsoft Community forums.

To change the backup drive for File History, the current process should be stopped. I suggest you to try the steps listed below to stop file history on an older drive and restart it on a new drive:

Change File History backup drive:

• Open Settings and navigate to Update & Security > Backup.
    • Click on More Options, scroll down to locate
      Backup to a different drive section, and choose Stop Using Drive.
    • Plug in the new storage drive, navigate to Settings > Update & Security > Backup,
      and choose Add a Drive.
    • Restart File History and configure it by referring to the article

File History in Windows

Hope it helps.

Regards,

Junaid_A, Sep 12, 2020
  3. ALN
    ALN Win User
    Windows10 File History Stopped Backing Up

Steve. Thanks for the info! Since re-setting the Options in FH seems to have fixed it, I plan to leave well enough alone. But will definitely try your suggestion if it quits working again.

On a more general question: Is there a better Auto Backup application than File History? I don't care about historical versions of any files - only current version in case my hard drive fails. I prefer it to be on my external hard drive (not cloud), and free is always good!

4. File History backup stops working & incomplete

How to remove folders from File History

• I had the same problem, and I solved in this way:
      Control Panel -> System and Security-> File History -> Turn off
      Settings -> Update & Security -> Backup -> More options -> Stop using this drive
      Delete the File History folder in your external drive.
      Start using File History again.
      After performing these steps, I can easily add folders to "Excluded Folders" and they remain excluded. I checked in the actual files and folders saved on the external disk, and it works.
      I did not modify the default settings about how often and how long backup is saved, File History is working ok now. So I guess it is important to click "Stop using this drive" in order to reset File History.
      Hope this will be helpful

mila parker, Sep 12, 2020
Thema:

File History backup stops working & incomplete

1. File History backup stops working & incomplete - Similar Threads - File History backup

2. File History stops working

in Windows 10 Gaming
    File History stops working: Greetings,I haven't been able to find any documentation for File History.File History stops working about once a week. If I go back in and click "Back up now", it will resume, but I don't know for how long.Does File History keeps logs in Event Viewer?If not, is there another...
  3. File History stops working

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    File History stops working: Greetings,I haven't been able to find any documentation for File History.File History stops working about once a week. If I go back in and click "Back up now", it will resume, but I don't know for how long.Does File History keeps logs in Event Viewer?If not, is there another...
  4. File History stops working

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
  5. File History backup?

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    File History backup?: If I move a file from folder A already backedup in file history to a USB PenDrive to folder B, will it show up in folder B in FileHistory in the next backup? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/file-history-backup/2135cd57-4a9e-4e43-9fd9-d1bbff65e057
  6. File History stops working & incomplete

File History stops working & incomplete: File History stops working & incomplete....any ideas. This what I've managed to locate so far and none of works satisfactorily. OS : Win10 home 2004 Backup Target : Storage Space volume of 2-way mirrored 2x External USB3 Laptop drives. Backup Source Directories to...
  7. File history backup

File history backup: I am planning to upgrade my notebook. Ques is, I have my data saved as file history in an external drive. Will I be able to restore data into new notebook from this file history?...
  8. File History for Backup

in Windows 10 Gaming
    File History for Backup: Are there any complete instructions how File History works and how one is to retrieve documents when needed. Also how to eliminate files when File History back up drive is full. Thanks.... RDH...
  9. Backup using file history stops sometimes

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Backup using file history stops sometimes: I make backup using file history. But sometimes the backup stops and i need to reactivate it again. someone who has experienced the same thing? Livscoach & Utbildning...
  10. File History Stopped Working...

in Windows 10 Backup and Restore
    File History Stopped Working...: I've searched this site and Google for the error I get and have found nothing that seems to pertain to this issue exactly. I have been using the file history backup function since installing W10 Home right before the free offer expired and it has been working fine. I was...